Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • saddle advice please spesh toupe content
  • mav12
    Free Member

how long should it take to break in a saddle i have a madison flux
    done about 600 ish miles on it but gets really uncomfortable after 20 -30 miles or so i have fiddeld with the position bought a decent pair of shorts but still not right this is mainly road use on a cx bike

so iam thinking of swapping it for a spesh toupe they seem to get good reviews any thoughts welcome

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Have a look at the Specialized Romin too. They’re not cheap but are incredibly comfy. I can easily to 60+ miles on my road bike without any discomfort at all.

mav12
    Free Member

thanks wiil do

njee20
    Free Member

Saddles are so personal. If you’re not finding it comfy yet I doubt you really will. A Toupe doesn’t really have much padding, so it doesn’t ‘break in’ like a Brooks or something.

Good Spesh dealers should have demo saddles, so you can try a Romin, if you don’t like the Toupe I’d be reluctant to just straight in with what is essentially a slightly more padded version!

FWIW I’ve done 110+ miles on my Toupe and find it great.

molgrips
    Free Member

Toupe needs good shorts. I like to make sure I sit squarely on the back on my sit bones, avoids squashing my perineum.

uplink
    Free Member

If you can, try a Charge Spoon

I know everyone seems to recommend them and I never listen to recommendations for saddles but …………..

Along with new wheels, pedals and a BB – I put a Spoon on my road bike on Saturday – 80 ish miles Saturday, 30 Sunday

I’d forgotten I’d put it on until after Sundays ride, I guess it just didn’t register and that’s got to be good

mav12
    Free Member

i dont have the toupe yet i have a madison flux i believe they are the same as the flux maybe i am overdoing it i have been out every day last week i am quite heavy !6 stone not overweight as such i am 6 ft 5

HermanShake
    Free Member

I tried to put up with a Toupe for a few months as I liked how minimal it was. I eventually caved and got an SDG Bel-air. Far, far comfier and the ti rail version shaves some weight. Oh and there’s the I-beam version too for even less weight.

I now have one on both the road and mtb.

molgrips
    Free Member

By the way, I am talking about road biking here. Toupe for the road, not for the trails.

stumpy01

Madison Flux is apparently the same as the Spoon.

I’ve had a Charge Spoon on my HT for almost a yr now & keep meaning to replace it. I know loads of people find them really comfortable, but I don’t find it that comfy.

Might go back to a WTB Rocket or try a Spesh Phenom.

druidh
    Free Member

Yep – Flux and Spoon are the same, so if you don’t get on with one, don’t bother trying the other. I just fitted a Gel Toupe to me Cube Agree for a 90mile ride on Sunday and it was perfect. Do remember to get “sized” though as there are three width fittings.

mav12
    Free Member

regarding the size i cannot get to a dealer to get measured as most people are a medium think 143 and as i am a quite large frame i was goin to go for a 154 do you think this would be folly my flux is the same size as the medium more or less and cant imagine a narrower saddle being the right one

bob_summers

It won’t break in. I bought one when they came out, first ride on it was 200km and it was faultless, I was using Flites before that. But as said, must be used with a good pad, and the nose is very unforgiving if you like to sit on the front to get over the BB. Getting the angle right is perhaps the key… I do 300-400km a week on mine and don’t notice it, but others hate them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘saddle advice please spesh toupe content’ is closed to new replies.