Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • SAD, tired and cranky
  • spawnofyorkshire

I hate this time of year because it feels like i never see any sunlight. I’m stuck in an office all day and commuting to and from work in the dark.
    I only feel good at weekends because i can be outside all day.

I’m that cranky I’ve almost been tempted to engage with some of the trolls on this website who i usually just laugh off as pathetic the ignore them.

Anyone else get like this during this time of year?

edlong
    Free Member

Yeah, my missus really struggles. Get one of those SAD lights, they really do work. Do a bit of research though, some are better than others.

footflaps

Lightbox from Maplin. We both have them, on timers, as Alarm clocks.

Esme
    Free Member

How about a quick walk at lunchtime? As an added bonus, you’d probably be more efficient during the afternoon.

Stoner
    Free Member

you really need to get out into natural daylight at lunchtime. I think it should be mandatory that people should leave their desk for at least 30mins if not an hour during winter.

I used to be really cranky when I had an office job and like you never saw daylight.

I have no problems now. In fact I shall be going outside in a minute to collect wood for an hour or so.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Def get out on your lunch hour, ideally for a run, the endorphins or whatever will help you stop wanting to troll.

Milkie
    Free Member

SAD lights do work. We have them in a few rooms at home, they get turned off late evening otherwise I’m still wide awake when its bedtime.

For the office, get some SAD fluorescent tubes, they work very well!

Nothing beats getting out though. 😉

spawnofyorkshire

lol i didn’t say i wanted to troll, just felt like biting back at the trolls 🙂

Definitely going to go out for a walk at lunchtime from now on and see how that goes. If that doesn’t help i may be purchasing a SAD light to brighten up my day

Phil_H

Yup, my depression gets worse at this time of year. Combination of work getting shitty, the desire to kill some of my colleagues & not getting out in the daylight enough.
    I had to resort to an emergency Valium this morning for the first time in months to break the negative feedback loop.

leffeboy

This would be such a great thread to troll on 🙂

But yep, I get like that at this time of year. It’s a combination of light, getting busier at the end of the year and it being just that bit tougher to get out riding. The SAD light is a great idea – might try it

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Another voter for taking lunchtime walks here. Daylight and fresh air, and an escape from the office atmosphere, all are good.

jekkyl

Take a day off holiday/sick and take yourself on an epic all dayer on 2 wheels. Pick a day that’s forecast sunshine. One of the things I like to do is get the train out somewhere further away & cycle home or Vice versa. Or bring cycling back for fun… drive to work then go out night riding!

kelvin

Lunch outside. Or in a cafe behind glass, but in the sun. Do it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Getting bad here too. I’m tempted to mount a sad light next to the turbo! I’ve got the maplin one but it’s huge, anyone recommend a smaller more discreet one?

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm.
    Spare a thought for those of us who work on night shifts and don’t see any daylight at all when working

footflaps

Getting bad here too. I’m tempted to mount a sad light next to the turbo! I’ve got the maplin one but it’s huge, anyone recommend a smaller more discreet one?

My OH has bought and sent back loads of different types. The large (A4ish) Maplin one is the best we found.

stumpyjon

Maplin do a smaller one at £40 although the bigger one was on offer a couple of weeks ago at £50 instead of £70.

I got mine two weeks ago and it’s got rid of the constant groggy near headache I’ve had since late September. It might not be the light but something’s changed in the last two weeks. Still feel tired but am now clear headed and more motivated. I have mine on next to the PC monitor so probably get 4 to 5 hours a day. I was a little sceptical but there is a convincing scientific mechanism for how they work and for £40 I thought was worth a go. So far been worth every penny.

spawnofyorkshire

Hmmm.
    Spare a thought for those of us who work on night shifts and don’t see any daylight at all when working

I sympathise, i had to walk away from a well paid night shift job whilst i was on uni summer holidays for that very reason

cinnamon_girl

Take some vit D pills, perhaps even B12 too?

mrblobby
    Free Member

constant groggy near headache I’ve had since late September.

Sounds familiar 🙁

Edit: oh and +1 for getting outdoors during the day. The only time I feel awake at the moment is when riding between client sites.

vickypea
    Free Member

I have SAD and I bought a light box from Lumie last month. It really does seem to work but it’s worth remembering that natural light is best so getting outdoors during daylight is important. Also you have to sit within arms length of the light box to get maximum therapeutic effect.

mav12
    Free Member

forcast looks good tommorrow and i finish at 12:45 😀 so looking to get a good ride in

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘SAD, tired and cranky’ is closed to new replies.