Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SAD lights. Any good?
  • brooess
    Free Member

This grey winter weather is dragging and I’m wondering about a SAD lamp.
    A girl at work has one on her desk sometimes and it’s great when she does, just cheers the office up.
    So was thinking about getting one for my flat.
    Any recommendations?

alexpalacefan

I have one. It really works. Do it!

APF

alexxx
    Free Member

I did a bit of research a few weeks back they are around £150-200 for the most popular ones.. that put me off a bit but I’ve put a light next to my desk thats quite white and bright and thats helped… more of a placebo as apparently it gives no effects… but not sure – worth a try maybe?

prettygreenparrot

Just turn the lights up.

edlong
    Free Member

I do agree that they seem expensive for a lamp, but yeah, they work.

Kevevs
    Free Member

is there any proof that they increase serotonin levels or vitamin D or anything? or is it placebo effect? How exactly do they work? My sisters Fiance has one, and I think it’s just marketing bollucks 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We got one for a relative last year and she swears by it. It was a Lumie, around £100 and it’s seriously bright (so much so the kids dont go near her or it when its on!).

Apparently the key effect is to be close to it when it’s on. She does her morning hair / makeup routine in front of it.

#Edit: this one:
    Arabica SAD light

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I have one, it works.
    It was a blue light and no where near £150. About £60 springs to mind.

Kevevs
    Free Member

you can get blueish light adjusted “daylight” bulbs from art shops for about 8 quid so that your indoor lit paintings don’t look orangey. Is it the same thing just with more wattage?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

There is a big difference in the power. A standard light bulb is about 100 lux I think. Light boxes are normally around 10,000 lux. At short distance its the same as daylight outside. Direct sunlight is about 100,000 lux.

nick1962
    Free Member

Mine works and I found it best to use at work next to my PC for a few hours every day.The instructions on mine say don’t use in the evening otherwise you may have trouble sleeping.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

@kevevs – I dont know how bright they are but as a guesstimate of its ability to light up a room I’d say its probably comparable to a 3-500w halogen security light. The difference is you sit close to them (and dont get burnt with the heat I guess). But I’m sure diy versions are out there.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I like how people use them at work, sounds too expensive to run at home! do they use these things in Sweden/norway etc where they have **** all light in winter and high suicide/depression etc and even booze is too expensive! I’m curious how these things work. I doubt it’s anything medical/chemical. Bright light just makes people “feel” better? like the polar opposite of Gizmo from Gremlins.

nick1962
    Free Member

Light stimulates the pineal gland

alexpalacefan

Yep, they work on the Pineal gland, causing it to do whatever it is that it’s supposed to!

The company I bought from (a few years ago now)had a free trial period. You paid and there was a no-quibble return period. When I asked how any return might go they didn’t know, having never had one returned! I can certainly see why, it really works for me.

Alex

granny_ring

Lumie do a 30 day trial, no problem returning if you need to you, just pay postage costs both ways.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SAD lights. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.