Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Sad incident at work yesterday
  • About 7pm on Saturday a 50ish man with a ~3 year old girl came in the bus depot where I work and explained that his daughter had taken her daughter in to town on the bus that morning and the little girl had left her toy cat on the bus.
    The buses were still coming in at that time, so I went through and asked the Sweeper Out if he’d found anything yet. No, no stowaway cats had been found.

I could see from the reaction that this was a more serious situation than I had first thought, so I got the guy to phone his daughter to see if she still had the ticket, as that would have the bus number on it.
    No ticket, but she knew the bus stop and the time they had got on.
    Out came our master time table and I went through it to find which bus had been on that route at that time.
    Bad news, it had already come in and been swept out at 6pm. 🙁

I told them the only hope now was that the driver had found the cat and posted it down the lost property chute, which I’ve got no access to at night, so they would have to wait until the Traffic Office was open on Monday morning.

The little girl was crying as they left as her granddad tried to explain that the cat might be having a weekend long sleepover at the bus depot. 😥

v8ninety

Oh bless. 🙁

emma82
    Free Member

first time i read the story i missed the ‘toy’ bit and wondered why someone would take a cat on a bus. I’m sure she’ll be fine once she’s received a replace summit or other, kids are quite resilient aren’t they?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

it’ll turn up. Its a bus depot – whats the worst that could happen?

Dolcered

aww wee pet. My nephew is inconsolable if “blue bear” can’t be found. In case he ever went missing they bought a very similar one, which he found, and knew was not blue bear 🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

My daughter did similar with her fave bear, November, about seven years ago. Luckily I found another on Ebay, and ordered two

One went to replace the lost November Bear (he found his way back home on his own, the clever bear), the other one was kept as a backup locked away in a box at my house and, fortunately, never needed. However she found the spare november last year (she’s eleven now) and was moved to tears that I’d gone to such an effort to make sure he never got ‘lost’ again 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Your name is Inspector Blakey and I claim my five pounds.

Klunk
    Free Member

in a true STW stylee should have told her to MTFU

theotherjonv

Yep, been there, done that. Donkey stowed away on the trip to town (he never normally leaves the house) and got himself lost.

Fortunately we had a spare (and then we paid a fortune on ebay to get a spare spare when #1 never turned up – apparently he’s ‘collectable’ so we think he was donkeynapped. The spares have to rotate to keep wear even. Just writing this brings home the nth degree of planning that has gone into it)

Just to keep up the pretence, we faked a call from the bus driver, I went out to ‘collect him’ sat round the corner in the car for 10 mins and then brought him home to be reunited.

It has latterly come out that there are in fact 2 donkeys (she doesn’t know that #1 didn’t come home), and she absolutely refuses to have the spare one so we keep him ‘just in case’. And rotate them, to keep wear even, just as before.

We often wonder what would happen if #2 and spare #2 were to ever meet. It would take the Doctor to unravel that.

Harry_the_Spider

😥

I once did a 70 mile round trip back to a picnic area to look for a Gruffalo that turned up in the folds of the rain cover on the pram.

It was worth it just to see my lad’s face.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We lost a Tom Kitten (assumed over the side of a Dover to Calais ferry) on our way on holiday. The lovely woman on the customer service desk, sensing our bed time routine in tatters, swiftly took our little lad into the gift shop to pick a holiday cuddly bear, which we weren’t even charged for.

A replacement Tom Kitten was ordered, and subsequently ignored on return from holiday.

People can be ace!

Junkyard
    Free Member

it was stuffed full of drugs 😉

emma82
    Free Member

in a true STW stylee should have told her to MTFU

Then wee’d in her shoes

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Aw bless. Hope it turns up!

I had to tell a young girl and her parents that we probably couldn’t get the bike she wanted in time for her birthday. There were tears. I felt so bad about it, despite there being no more I could do!

CountZero

Kids get so attached to a favourite toy, reading this has got me pretty upset for the little lass who’s lost her toy. She’ll be inconsolable, poor little thing.
    I’ve got two little toy animals that I picked up, that had obviously been dropped by children; a little hare, found on a cycle path, and a new orca, lying by the side of the road, still with the label attached. Just couldn’t bring myself to leave them lying there, stupid as that sounds. 🙁

fizzicist
    Free Member

My lad (4) is now very attached to the teddy bear I got when I was born.

It’s had a bloody rough life, threadbare, flattened nose, probably a few diseases lurking in there as well.

We’re royally f**ked if that gets lost. I’ve already had to do a 100 mile round trip for it once….

camerone
    Free Member

I once had a nervous journey back to sainbury in Kidderminster as my daughter had left her scabby old panda in a trolley. She was totally convinced it would be there, I wasn’t so sure. Her face was a picture when customer service plucked said panda from the cupboard!

Pembo
    Free Member

A couple of months ago I got on the tube at Baker Street after waiting for a family to get off. As I sat down the young lad of about 5 realised he had dropped something on the train and started pointing near my feet. The dad had to hold onto the lad to stop him getting back on the train and was getting distraught at leaving this ‘thing’ on the train that I was now looking for. Just as the doors started beeping I saw a small grey rocket on the grey floor and managed to pick it up and throw it out just as the doors closed. Cue big smile from kid with his now fully working transformer toy and thumbs up from dad as train pulled out. 🙂

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Well they didn’t find my pal when they swept the bus out at Peebles garage one night – he’d fallen alseep upstairs and woke up wondering why there was another bus alongside.

He wasn’t overly popular with his wife having to come out from halfway to Edinburgh to rescue him in the early hours once he’d managed to break out of the place.

donks
    Free Member

Years ago we took the boy to Hamleys and he lost his little back pack with his furry rabbit in and it was like the end of the world. We spoke to the shop and left our details. I kept phoning them and eventually someone bothered to look in lost property and sure enough there it was. Then Hamleys told us we had to collect it which was a 50 mile trip each way so I said could they not post it for us.” No” was the answer!! I kicked up a fuss in the end and started on about them being the supposed biggest toy store in the world ect and they wouldn’t return a child’s lost toy (even if I payed the carriage) and they backed down.
    His little brother now has bunny 🙂

easygirl

Bloody hell, call that a sad incident, you should come out with me for a few days 😀

aa
    Free Member

reminds me of henry rollins’ ‘fluffy bunnykins’ story for some reason

clydebuilt
    Free Member

one of my friends little girl had a furry toy that she couldn’t leave home without, so to speed things up they bought five of them and put them in a drawer so if it got lost they could quickly “find” it and get on with their day. this worked well until said little girl discovered the drawer, now they can’t leave the house without all five toys…

logical
    Free Member

My Daughter has a Minnie Mouse that goes everywhere with her. Our childminder has one nearly the same (the shoes are a slightly different shade of pink). When Daughters Minnie was dropped in a muddy puddle said childminder was going to wash her. Swapped Minnies round when daughter was asleep. She woke up and was really upset cos her Minnie had gone and she couldn’t find her. Must be the smell of the toys cos I couldn’t tell the difference without them side by side.

Happy ending. 😀
    The cat spent tow nights in the lost property locker and went home on Monday afternoon.

wwaswas

phew.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you missed an awesome ransom opportunity
    PS did you check it for drugs

LoCo
    Free Member

😀 always buy 2 or 3 of the favorite toys and rotate to get the correct wear/aroma/foustyness so if one goes missing you have a back up 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Because our daughter is the only granddaughter in my/Mrs North’s immediate families and (in part) extended families, she’s already been inundated with several soft toys.

So far, none of them are favourite. Which, given everything above* is probably just as well..!

*I do recall my father driving madly across the countryside to catch my sister’s lost balloon….

joao3v16
    Free Member

I am clearly the worst parent in all the known universe because I work on the theory that children aren’t made of porcelain (as my wife puts it), so losing something like a soft toy is the perfect opportunity for them to learn not to be so darned precious/sentimental about stuff … 😀 … bring on the scathing judgement!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m astounded that anyone thought a kid losing a toy cat is worthy of telling everyone on a cycling forum.

Some people should learn to share less.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing that with the world 😕

GrahamS

Some people should learn to share less.

Yes, damn him for sharing a touching little story with us. 🙄

I’m sure the 26-odd people replying to it with similar stories or sympathy were happy that he did. Thanks OP.

nicko74

I saw a small grey rocket on the grey floor and managed to pick it up and throw it out just as the doors closed.

Kid wouldn’t have been so pleased if it had broken into lots of little pieces on the platform… 😉

Glad the story had a happy ending!

BadlyWiredDog

It just goes to show that STW is utterly lovely. We’d happily drive a motorway through the heart of the Peak District or lynch anyone who sells a bike with a minor scratch on, but show us a snotty-nosed brat with a missing rag-eared bear and we’d crawl to the ends of the earth to stop the little git from snivelling… 🙂

It was a really lovely story though. I just hope the child isn’t scarred for life and grows up hating public transport as a result.

footflaps

It stories like this which give us strength to carry on fighting the good fight….

😉

joao3v16
    Free Member

I just hope the child isn’t scarred for life and grows up hating public transport as a result.

Firstly, it’s only a flippin’ soft toy 😀

Secondly, they’ll end up hating public transport anyway cos of all the intolerant miserable gits who don’t think children should be allowed out in public, as we learned from yesterdays thread 😀 That, and it’s mostly slow, late, expensive, a bit smelly and the stops are genrally not actually all that near to where you want to get to.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Sounds like there’s some spoilt kids out there if they can make you do a 100 mile round trip to go and get a lost toy. Setting a bad precedent for later life.

BadlyWiredDog

Firstly, it’s only a flippin’ soft toy

‘Only’? 🙄

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Sad incident at work yesterday’ is closed to new replies.