Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sacrilegious question: roadie equivalent of roam, seasons etc etc
  • reluctantlondoner

Are there any decent roadie films in the vein of roam or that film about the translation Rockies?

Anything non racing worth watching?

reluctantlondoner

Sorry – just realised translation Rockies slipped through. Damn you auto correct! Obv meant trans Rockies

willstaffs
    Free Member

Chasing Legends is quite good, it is sometimes on YouTube in full. Also on YouTube is The Road To Paris which follows Lance and the US postal team in the run up to the 2001 tour I think.

The Sky British Cycling series was good, can’t remember what it was called, again some episodes are on YouTube periodically!

Not sure of any others, would be interested myself in the suggestions.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    reluctantlondoner

Hmm. WIll perhaps check those – thanks.

Was just really hoping for something more interesting/inspiring than the drug racing pantomine.

Might go and rewatch that bloke who cycled round the world.

reluctantlondoner

Resurrecting this to see if there any new suggestions for good roadie films, like the best MTB ones. Trying to develop a love of tarmac…

12fifty
    Free Member

Les Triplettes de Belleville

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

We no longer call it Belleville Rendezvous now then?

12fifty
    Free Member

We no longer call it Belleville Rendezvous now then?

? Erm, just saying what it reads on the packet love.

steezysix
    Free Member

The web series about the Transcontinental Race is shaping up to be really good – only about 10 minutes each but hopefully there’ll be a full length film released at some point. Parts one and two:

[video]http://vimeo.com/80636312[/video]
    [video]http://vimeo.com/81821776[/video]

hora
    Free Member

80’s TV series (film?) Breaking away? 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

I just don’t think road has various genres?

Lifer
    Free Member

The old 70s ones are my favourite, “Stars and Watercarriers”, “Greatest Show on Earth”, “A Sunday in Hell” all gold.

EDIT – oops just saw you said ‘non-racing’, whoops!

wl
    Free Member

Eh? Here’s a hill, and here’s a slightly steeper hill. And this guy’s riding on a particularly smooth tarmac, while this chap’s shredding an older tarmac mix not found in the UK. Sounds fascinating.

timmys

Brokeback Mountain? That recent one about Liberace?

SimonR

+1 for Chasing Legends. The in-car sequences are really funny.

Not strictly roadie but also think that “24 Hours Solo” was a good film – certainly very different from a normal MTB movie.

bokonon
    Free Member

I just don’t think road has various genres?

Films or riding?

Films, perhaps not – but riding, even bog standard road riding, there are various games that roadies play – for sure – even without looking at the competitive side of things (TT, road Race etc.) there are those that like to climb, those that don’t, short and fast, long and slow, going on big loops in a group, getting somewhere on your own – having adventures etc. – how that then translates to film is going to be different, and I’d suggest is more down to less exploration of the form than the differences not being there. I’m sure there is a market for some short film about people riding road bikes on some kind of historic route in vintage gear…or some epic jaunt (e.g. Lejog) in the same way there is for MTB.

corroded
    Free Member

+1 for A Sunday in Hell – regardless of the fact they’re racing it’s a classic film.
    And the, ahem, Rapha channel on Vimeo has some entertaining videos.

kennyp
    Free Member

A Sunday in Hell is brilliant, though a good chunk of that is off-road I guess.

Death on the Mountain is on YouTube and is well worth a watch. All about Tom Simpson.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

? Erm, just saying what it reads on the packet love.

furrymuff. In the UK it was originally released as Belleville Rendezvous, in other markets as Les Triplettes..thought we were getting all PC on using ‘native’ naming.

iainc

Anyone punting a DVD of A Sunday in Hell ?

..been after it for a while.

Apologies for hijack 8)

faustus

‘American Flyers’ has kevin Costner in it. Being chased by a dog. Who needs EPO Lance, when you could have had some wholesome motivation…

The film is about training for a race in the Rocky Mountains too!

faustus

..or get a turbo trainer DVD?

househusband
    Free Member

And the, ahem, Rapha channel on Vimeo has some entertaining videos.

Thanks for that; working my way through a few this evening.

Has actually justified the £10 NOW TV box as it makes watching vimeo a doddle!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Sacrilegious question: roadie equivalent of roam, seasons etc etc’ is closed to new replies.