Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Austria
  • andermt
    Free Member

As per the title, anyone been?

Booked to go in August and looks like there are some DH routes that I’ll be avoiding although seen a couple of DH runs that look more like UK Trailcentre red level (they call it Blue) than full on DH runs.

Also wondered if anyone had ridden XC there, as that is more my type of riding. (I’ll be taking a Trek Rumblefish pro so 120mm 29er)

mboy
    Free Member

Been there a number of times snowboarding… Lovely place, vast network of slopes and off piste.

Know that doesn’t help you much, but I’ve also heard very good things about the MTBing there, in particular lets call it “lift assisted trail riding”.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Been there a couple of times with gf mtb’ing the most recent being last summer.

Some good trails – fave is probably

http://www.worldbikeparks.com/park/trails/saalbach-hinterglemm/hacklberg-trail

Many of the trails are quite technical when compared with uk trail centre but still doable on a 120mm. Gf manages many of the trails fine on a 120mm full suspension.

Generally pretty quiet and no queues for the uplift when we’ve been.

The usual very good austrian hospitality applies.

andermt
    Free Member

Thanks for the response.

Did you stick to the uplift trails or do some XC as well?

jes
    Free Member

Went with a group a couple of years ago, it was awesome.
    Great venue and hospitality, reasonable prices for lift passes, food and drink, would love to go back some day.
    Of the DH trails the blue line was about ok for my skill level on a 160 mm travel bike and attainable speeds and was about the only mid level run, all the other DH stuff was doable but quite harsh with some very technical do or die type features oh there is a lot of high woodwork.

There are some great lift assisted trails and I would recommend doing the 5 gondola tour to get a feel for the area where a you will awesome views and scenery and find a great bit of single track on the opposite side of the valley to the blue line and some interesting runs down to Leogang.

From memory a lot of the non DH trails are on fire roads, and although we didn’t use the facility I would maybe recommend using a guide.

My only critic would be trying to track down the single track stuff (probably our fault for not using a guide) and less technical DH runs to warm up on, as per Chatel 🙂

Take spares, run the biggest discs you can, left thumb joint came up like a balloon and took out 5 spokes riding a rock garden because I couldn’t brake any more, cue death grip pinball run 🙂

Oh and one of our group took a Halfords HT, lasted 2.5 runs down the blue line, hiring a FS rig didn’t help either resulting in a full on body surfing dirt moment.

Have fun.

Photos

colp

Go there quite a bit as we have an apartment around the corner.
    Milka line will be fine, good fun the faster you go, my 10 yr old does everything there (including all the Leogang DH courses) on a 4 inch travel bike.

alpin
    Free Member

Have been there several times on day trips when I was guiding and went there for a week last year with the GF. Her first time in a ” park” and despite coming off and scarring her arm she enjoyed it.

She came off on the milka line when she washed out in deep gravel.. It had just been resurfaced.

As above one of the best runsof the official bike trails is the hackelberg trail, but you don’t have to stick to those.

If you are staying in Saalbach make sure you book accommodation that gives you the joker cardfor free. With that you get one ride up from Leogang each day, however you might find that side of the hill a little intimidating.

Expect to see lots of warriors on big bikes mincing around. The GF managed to show up quite a few of them on her Boardman.

If you want I can scan you my map of the area with all the good bits highlighted. Email in profile. Currently away this week but can do it once I’m back home.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Pulls up chair………
    Going in August too 8)

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Did a days downhilling there in the summer and it was excellent. Didn’t do any XC but there’s maps available and I’m sure the possibilities are endless. The downhill choice is amazing with some easier routes like the Milka line if you’re not Steve Peat and there’s Leongang on the other side of the hill and also Wagrain and Schaldming less than an hour away. Spoilt for choice!

grum
    Free Member

Interesting…..

Duane…
    Free Member

Went there in 2007, bunch of not very good pics here;
    http://www.pinkbike.com/u/minimole/album/Alps-07/

Mainly stayed on the Adidas FR trails, waa good fun but wasn’t a huge amount to ride, might have changed since then, or maybe we didn’t explore much.

We did a day trip to Leogang which was amazing.

Radioman

Been there a few times. The ” off piste” biking is best there as in many mountain areas. Trails are easy to find and you can be a bit ” cheeky” if you off main drags. Bike wise it is very quiet so you pretty much can choose any high mountain trail as long as you respect walkers. When I went it was just fun planning rides and going where I liked . The classic DH trails are good but IMHO the single track is much better. Although it can be busy the ride from Saalbach across to Leogang is a fun day out too.

colp

Hey Alpin, I wouldn’t mind a copy of your map, planning on doing more XC this summer.
    I’ll drop you an email.
    If anyone is heading to the Maria Alm area, give me a shout, maybe hook up for a ride.

alpin
    Free Member

The milka line cannot be described as DH. It just isn’t. More like a tail center run (although I’ve only ever been to llangsda or however the Welshies spell it).

As said the non-bike specific stuff is good. Use the lifts to save you an hours climbing and get away from the startrooper crowd.

If anyone wants a scanned copy let me know.

Elbows

Hi Alpin, I’d like a copy of the map. I go down there 2 or 3 times over the summer, but stick to the guided trails. Next trip will be the big 5 at the end of May. I’m in Augsburg, so if you have any other info for riding between Oberstdorf and Salzburg, I’d be interested.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i live out here… Adidas center is pretty good for beginners.

you need to hit the hangman trail at leogang, its a great track for beginners to experts. take it as fast or slow as you please.

also a place where people often over look for xc is zillertal. Its fantastic!

if you need to help with light dh or so give me a shout. id be more than happy to catch up with fellow bikers and have a crack.

nick

alpin
    Free Member

+1 Zillertal.

@ elbows… Yes, lots. Mostly bewerten Kochelsee/Walchensee-Tegernsee-Bayrischzell…

If you’re around in summer get in touch and wir können biken gehen…. (i bin in Minga, oida)

colp

I’m there mid July to September, we’ll have to keep this thread going.
    Will have Heckler & Bullit so up for anything.

grum
    Free Member

Could I have the map too please? Ta.

andermt
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses guys, Alpin, I’d definitely like a copy of your map, I’ll drop you an email. Thanks.

I’m already booked in near to Viehhofen, going with the missus so need some std stuff for her, as she isn’t very confident on her bike, but planning a couple of days on some more interesting stuff for myself, so the ideas above will be very useful.

I’d seen some video footage of the Blue run and the Milka run but not the others mentioned so will track them down.
    I did find some of the comments on the Milka run video I saw quite funny with someone saying, “It’s not for families, people even turned up without full body armour on!”

I guess that adds another question from me, are they strict on what you need to wear, i.e full face helmets etc if you are not on the proper DH runs?

alpin
    Free Member

Tbh… I’ve ridden all of it with a met kaos lid and knee pads. Noone batted an eyelid.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Austria’ is closed to new replies.