• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Saab 95 Estate – any feedback
  • mdb
    Free Member

Considering buying a Saab 95 Vector T Estate – 2003 – Automatic. 41,000 miles.

Anyone had any experience of this model or Saab’s in general?

Online reviews seems to be good and test drive was good but always handy to hear owners thoughts.

Cheers.

DezB
    Free Member

Saab’s in general, yes. Great motorway cruiser, hardly ever any problems, but when there are they are usually expensive to fix.
    ’99 93, still plenty of life left after 98K miles.

aP
    Free Member

Vauxhall parts are cheap too.

higgo
    Free Member

Saabs in general, yes. Have had a petrol 900S, now on a 9-3SE TID (old shape) – agree very reliable (but expensive IF something big goes), great cruisers, get you there quickly and relaxed. Not enormously ‘fun’ to drive.

Personally I wouldn’t have an auto (having previously had a Volvo V70 auto) – I like to drive the car myself.

zokes
    Free Member

Isn’t it just a vectra in a frock?

DezB
    Free Member

Oh and my petrol 2L Turbo does 29mpg – s’why I ride to work so much!

Auto? I would, I bloody hate driving.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s got the same chassis as a Vectra, I believe. Whatever that matters.
    It’s a lot nicer inside and thats where I sit.

MartynS

Good solid cars…
    I don’t know if your’s is pre or post the General Motors take over. Its accepted the GM Saabs aren’t as good.
    Check it over, has it got a full saab history? If the oil hasn’t been changed at least every year, but ideally every 6 months. The Light pressure turbo is a bit fragile if it dosn’t get its oil changes, its about £750 to replace..
    Saabs also have a thing called a DI cassette. This plugs into the top of the spark plugs. £200 when they go.. and they do, round about that mileage…
    If you can find a good Independant garage they are much cheaper than the main dealers (who in my experience are rubbish)
    You can only expect about 25mpg around town, 35 on the motorway.

I like mine.. big ol’ barge but it does the job!

DezB
    Free Member

DI cassette. This plugs into the top of the spark plugs. £200 when they go.. and they do, round about that mileage…

Mine went at 90K. Hard to get a diagnosis from normal garages!
    Cost over £200 to get replaced. Nearer £300 IRC.

Tiboy

I’ve got a 9-5 aero estate, best car I’ve ever had, especially good for bikes, loads of space in the back and plenty of cubby holes of storing gubbins. Not particularly efficient, but 30MPG for a car which is was only 0.3 seconds off a boxster (0-60) in it’s prime isn’t bad! go for it, you won’t regret it

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I had exactly what you’re looking at, a 2003 Vector 2l LPT auto. I really liked the car, (fast enough, big, safe, great seats, fairly anonymous) but it started to cost too much money once it got past 100k. Things to check:
    – oil changes – as MartynS says, needs to have been every 6k miles with decent oil. That engine has an oil sludge issue that can block the oil pipes to the turbo.
    – DI cassette – there was a recall on mine, maybe check with the local Saab garage, they may give you a new one.
    – gearbox – mine tended to shunt when I went into drive. It didn’t go wrong, but I didn’t like it. My current car is much smoother.
    – LED display in centre of dashboard. Expensive to repair, check all pixels work. I think this was fixed by 2003 though

Paul

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Sorry to jump into the thread. I’m looking at 9-3s and 9-5s at the moment, How good is the 9-3 for bikes and also 9-5 saloon. Is it worth considering bikewise?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Had an older shape 9-3 (proper Saab shaped one) and it was a flying machine. handled like a boat on twisty stuff but great on a motorway or nice A road. massive boot. Got 140 out of it on an autobahn once but got a bit scared so backed off. Don’t you love company cars!

Also had a 9-5, 1999 one, so large and comfortable and quick with it. Took it to 150,000 and only the turbo broke at 120k (LPT). very reliable. Apparently auto boxes are weak though.I used to get 42mpg all the time but wasn’t a thrasher, it being my own etc.

Once drove it for 10 hours non stop and got out the other end without a stretch being necessary, a leg twinge or head roll.

If your driving is steady and generally long distance stuff, I can’t think of a better place to be sitting.

oh yes pixel displays don’t last long and are dear.

Seats are splendid, 9-5 cup holders are worthy of a special mention too, well clever.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The old 93 was bloody ace – I had a HOT version for a bit, throw a bike in the boot with the wheels off, camping gear for 2 folk for a long weekend and still have the parcel shelf in and back seats up (by camping stuff I mean proper “mild” camping stylee with airbeds and slabs of beer!)

It was plenty fun to drive, could be hustled reasonably well and bloody hell was it quick. Did have “quirky” handling in that it tended to torque steer like a bastard mind 😉 Probably the most comfortable car I have ever had too…. Since most my driving is rural I was getting mid 30s mpg out of it usually. Miss that car sometimes, but replacing the rear suspension every 6 months was expensive (apparently they aren’t designed to have a few hundred kg of stuff in the boot and driven across fields on a weekly basis – which is why I now stick to 4×4 things.)

hora
    Free Member

Subaru Legacy does it better?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Saab 95 Estate – any feedback’ is closed to new replies.