Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Saab 9-3 1.9 diesel 150bhp estate
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Tempted to look at one tomorrow it’s the auto version with a DPF fitted. 2007 model
    Looking on ebay parts can be bought at reasonable prices including new DPF

Any horror stories??

oldbloke
    Free Member

Yes. Just finally gave our 55 plate to the garage for parts. One thing after another and it did too many miles on the back of an AA truck.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

This one is a one owner retired gent local to me

duncancallum

ive a 120 8v and love it.

pre dpf though

john_drummer
    Free Member

What mileage?
    Cam belt is due for a change at 72k iirc (could be 60k, can’t remember as I got rid of mine before it became due) and is about £650 (well, it was at main dealer when there were some). Independent garage will probably be less than that but don’t quote me on that one
    There’s also an issue with the bulkhead cracking on some models. Fix is an additional plate attaching to the bulkhead, again iirc

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

120000 miles
    cambelt is 90000 or every 8 yrs from research

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 93X on 59k Cambelt and water pump cost £300 last month.

180bhp and fab.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Unfitgeezer – while 9-3 Sportwagons are lovely when everything works, too often it doesn’t. They are the final Saabs and it shows. General Motors are responsible for destroying Saab – asset stripping the Swedish company and donating their own dodgy parts, each one of which has its own collapse-by date.

On the 1.9 TiDs, in addition to the cambelt and water pump (why no timing chain, as all older Saabs had?), there are also inlet manifold and EGR valve issues. And the electrics are crap. Plus suspension is no longer robust like older Saabs, and the leather on the seats is of such poor quality and so thin that it quickly cracks and splits.

I had one (also 55 reg like oldbloke) and by 174K miles I had to sell it for scrap, despite replacing many major parts during the 2 years and 50K miles that I had it. The electrics had become so unreliable that everything (traction control, mileometer etc) started packing up.

Go instead for a 9-5 estate. Much better build quality (the rearguard action of Saab workers and managers) and so much more robust in every way. Remarkably fun to drive and capacious too – will swallow 3 bikes whole with no wheels taken off! Mainly chain driven as well, apart from the later Dame Edna 1.9 TiDs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Saab 9-3 1.9 diesel 150bhp estate’ is closed to new replies.