Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • S3 vs. One X vs. One S? Also, AffordableMobiles.co.uk?
  • naffrider
    Free Member

Okay, bare with me. End of my first contract so’d like a new phone to replace my tired (aka glitchy) Wildfire. It’ll be on the Three ‘The One Plan’ contract as I’d like unlimited tethering. Just need the phone now!

Originally S3, heavily publicized, rave reviews, looks like a winner but then read that the One X is comparable and cheaper to boot, then I read that the One S is comparable to the One X but smaller (and cheaper again), which makes me think do I really need a massive screen that’s going to live in my pocket for most its life with a potential tablet purchase on the near horizon?

I’m edging towards the One S at the moment and seem to recall a thread on here with a similar feeling.

In addition, the contact itself. Previous contract was directly with the network but looking on compare sites you can get contacts way cheaper than going directly. AffordableMobiles.co.uk seems like the cheapest, but going off reviews they’re also terrible although I am aware that generally people only write reviews if they’re pi**ed off with something. If I was going to go with them I’d pay a few pennies more and get the automatic cashback rather than the redemption cashback. Any thoughts on AffordableMobiles?

Any constructive input much appreciated.

Ta!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

If size doesn’t matter then go for the S3, however if it does I’d go for the One S. I have the one S and its perfect for my needs. Camera is excellent, it doesn’t slow down with apps open. It’s easier on my pocket as its small although the quality of the screen is great. IRS a excellent phone and I’m more than happy with it.

It absolutely shits on my girlfriends IPhone 4s . The 3d games look lovely on it and play smoothly. The dual core processor is more than adequate. Only bad points are the memory is only 10gig internal. And it needs a protective case as the alloy finish scratches easy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

S3 great phone unless you can’t handle the inches 🙂 size is fine really camera is great and phone is brilliant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Nexus 4 Has all the technology in the S3 and gets updates straight from google. Also, look at the price! The only thing it doesn’t have is 4G, which is pretty much useless here anyway.

2bit
    Free Member

I’ve had a One S for about 2 months now & its been great – all round excellent performance, great-ish battery life, apps, videos & games all perform/play well & just about the right size for a pocket.

It has occasionally frozen & I’ve had a few glitches but with lots of apps & music on there i’m not sure if its the phone, an app, or combo of the 2.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

Just to say that if you want to stay with 3. They have discontinued the ONE S as I was looking at getting that one. So today I have settled for the ONE X on a good deal with 3. Call them and see what you can get as it is a contract renewal.

Bimbler
    Free Member

It’s upgrade time for me, seriously looking at the Nexus 4, cheap but only 16gb and no SD card slot, for the love of god why. And then there’s the currently unavailable Xperia V, LTE and water/dust proof. New Motorolas look pretty good too. Or just stick with the desire and buy a tablet, decisions decisions.

mogrim

Nexus 4 Has all the technology in the S3 and gets updates straight from google.

Has all the updates for about a year, if my Nexus One is anything to go by. I’m now stuck with rooting+roms if I want to install Android 4.X.

glenh
    Free Member

Nexus 4, cheap but only 16gb and no SD card slot, for the love of god why

I only use about 4Gb of the 16GB available on my galaxy S2.
    I’ll probably be geting an 8GB nexus 4 in a couple of weeks when they are available.

Why do you need all that space? All my content, (books, music, magazines, etc) is all on the web (or in ‘the cloud’).
    I’ve got hundreds of books on amazon/play store, 6000 tracks on google music for free (+ god knows how many on spotify), videos on netflix and the play store…blah blah. There’s no need to store any of it on the phone generally.

stevehine

I’ve got the Nexus S; still gets updated regularly after nearly 2 years (currently on JB 4.1.2) – will definitely be sticking with another Nexus device. No SD slot is a bit of a bind; but 16Gb isn’t too bad for my purposes anyway.

kevster
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position. Currently got an iphone 3gs which is becoming a bit tempremental. Like the iphone but the 5 offers very little different for me as it runs the same OS. Seen the HTC One S on buymobilephones.net on 3 for £19/month which looks a good deal!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Why do you need all that space? All my content, (books, music, magazines, etc) is all on the web (or in ‘the cloud’).

I’m a bit of a cloud unbeliever at this stage, although bought 20gigs worth of Amazon cloud for £6. Rather have everything local, just using cloud for backups. In the same way I’d rather have a NAS drive at home than just rely on the cloud.

Unable to get anything particularly tasty on my upgrade (with Virgin) I’ve got a pretty much everything unlimited deal for £8 pm, how times have changed.

chojin
    Free Member

Nexus 4 is going to be the budget phone of choice.

Hell, its going to be the top end phone of choice too! Some seriously aggressive pricing from Google.

stumpy01

Watching this with interest….plan on upgrading soon.

naffrider
    Free Member

Damn, was pretty much sold on the One S and to hear Three discontinued supplying is a bit rubbish. Hmm, so that One X…

kevster
    Free Member

naffrider – see my post about the one s on buymobilephones.net

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Similar choice here – choosing between One S on size or Nexus 4 on features but disappointed in the storage options. S3 or S3 mini are the options for using card storage but very expensive. One X+ with 64GB looks awesome but 500 quid for a phone is lots. I’ll be buying something outright.

Why do you need all that space?

I travel internationally with work and have a couple of weeks away so can’t use cloud storage on the plane or when overseas. Also go up to the Dales quite a bit, 3G terrible and and haven’t figured out the neighbours wifi password! One fancy games, a film and a few albums and it’s full.

A usb-otg cable can mount memory sticks so a bit of a possible workaround to carry/swap/access media but a card slot would be great, or a 32GB Nexus 4!

higgo
    Free Member

So how much for the Nexus 4 in the UK if it’s $350 without contract in the States?

Haze

One X+ will be around soon, 64gb and a bigger 2100 battery if that matters…

daveh
    Free Member

£280 for your 16gb Nexus 4. Think that’s where I’m headed.

deviant
    Free Member

I recommend the One-S, nice size and great battery life….for me that’s all that matters with a smartphone.
    If the Motorola Razr-Maxx was available from ‘3’ then I’d get that because of the immense battery, a smartphone is no good if you have to stop using it halfway through the day….I’d research which one currently gives the best battery life and choose that.

Regards features, whether you go for an iPhone, Android or Windows OS they all pretty much do the same thing now, there is no clear ‘best phone’ any more, only what’s best for you.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got the One X and really like it. The screen is really good and so far I’ve had mo issues with it crashing. Only downside is that the memory can’t be upgraded and the battery life isn’t great. Surfing the web is old bit listening to music seems to kill the battery.

It seems to be a big step up from the Desire I had before.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I get about a Day and a half out of mine. That’s with using 3G at work for a few hours and WiFi always on at home and playing games and listening to music and I switch my mobile data and WiFi off when I go to bed to save battery.

Toasty

Another +1 for the Nexus 4 here, might just go for the 8gb though. Stream music via Spotify, keep a few downloaded locally but a gig would more than do. Sync photos to the cloud via Dropbox. The memory is only really for apps and games here, even then I quite like keeping it tidy rather than filling it with rubbish.

Using an SGS2 at the moment, which Mazuma and co would buy for £150. Makes it a pretty cheap upgrade for a big leap.

The idea of using a clean Android 4.2 build is appealing as well, using Cyanogenmod 10 at the moment.

naffrider
    Free Member

After a 10min play on my bros S3 I’m sold on the bigger screen, as such think I’ll be going for the OneX

gravity-slave
    Free Member

One X+ is due out very soon for a similar price so might be worth hanging on as the battery is much better, amongst other things.

Nexus 4 has the same sized screen, as well specced but £200 lesss – probably what I’ll go for and just manage my content better.

Cougar

Google really are on a roll with hardware at the moment, aren’t they.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yup. Love my Nexus, not opened my laptop in a fortnight, so tempted to go Nexus 4 for a seamless experience from phone to tablet.

darryl1983
    Free Member

I would have gone for the S3 myself, but wanted a slightly bigger screen so went for the Galaxy Note 2 instead, it’s brillant in pretty much every way, cant see the HTC One X+ being as good to be honest, even with the extra development time.

I usually us this Mobile comparison site for the best deals: http://phonestore.techradar.com/phones/samsung/galaxy-s-3

naffrider
    Free Member

Haha. And I’ve just ordered a S3, total role reversal.

Did some additional research and the main thing I’m wanting it for is the internet and tethering and I came across too many forum posts about the OneX loosing its internet connection so thought best go for the S3.

As people say, they’re all similar at the top now so hopefully I’ll be content with it.

stumpy01

Bit late for this, really & your new phone will be loads better than the Wildfire.

But…if you are planning on sticking it on eBay or giving it to friend/family to use, I reckon a factory data reset would work wonders.
    I did it to mine at the weekend and it has given my HTC Desire a new lease of life.

I made sure my contacts were on Google, then downloaded ‘my backup’ free 30 day trial. The while thing took about an hour and although there are a few small things to sort out (like setting the alarm tone to the correct one, even though it saved the times/dates) it has worked really well.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘S3 vs. One X vs. One S? Also, AffordableMobiles.co.uk?’ is closed to new replies.