Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • S-works mtb shoes, buying a pair
  • Offroading
    Free Member

My 2005 Spesh Expert shoes died last week so i am looking for a replacement.

Always liked the spesh BG stuff so i’m looking at the S-works shoes.

Evans have them for £199 with 10% off!

My experts are size 47, will i likely be a 47 with the S-works or are they tighter/looser ?

njee20
    Free Member

Nominally they are a different last, but I’ve never found them any different to any other Spesh shoes (although I’ve only actually had Pro Carbons and S-Works) so yes, get a 47.

Good choice too, great shoes.

Offroading
    Free Member

Any issues with the boa system on the 2012’s ?

Really like the white ones too but don’t know if that’s a pain to keep clean.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NZCol

Good shoes but be warned if you do any walking at all they are awful to walk in. The normal spec ones with the ratchet and 2 velcro are much better for allround use.

stevenieve
    Free Member

Got the 2012 Spesh Comp. disco slipper, the non carbon soled one, plenty stiff.
    As NZCol says, awful to walk in especially with big sticky out Speedplay cleats.
    Plenty of mesh vents, not too narrow foot bed and Boa lacing has been fine too.

njee20
    Free Member

Why buy cycling shoes for what they’re like to walk in?!

The Boas on the newest ones are really good, best incarnation I’ve used (had 4 pairs of S-Works shoes). The white ones are fine, because they’re a shiny material they clean up perfectly. Much better than my white road ones, which have a yellowish tinge!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why buy cycling shoes for what they’re like to walk in?!

Never been on a proper ride then……

I had a pair of 04 S-Works back when there were on offer for about £80, don’t go above the one with the ratchet. Size wise same every time (about 8 pairs now), still try them on just in case though.

NZCol

Any hike a bike, exploration or non rideable bits generally mean some walking. I know that isn’t something you’ll often come across on a waymarked trail centre but some people do consider that as fun. Personally on multi day races I want something I can walk in just in case. Should I apologize ?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The white ones are fine, because they’re a shiny material they clean up perfectly. Much better than my white road ones, which have a yellowish tinge!

That ^^^

I have the latest s-works in road and mountain bike versions. The Boa system has worked flawlessly.

I went from the old ratchet system s-works to the new ones and both times bought a 42 and they fit perfectly.

njee20
    Free Member

Never been on a proper ride then……

Well yes, plenty, but they’re rides, not walks! Don’t really garner any pleasure from having to walk bits myself, each to their own of course.

Any hike a bike, exploration or non rideable bits generally mean some walking. I know that isn’t something you’ll often come across on a waymarked trail centre but some people do consider that as fun. Personally on multi day races I want something I can walk in just in case. Should I apologize ?

Yes. Please, if you could. 😉

I do hear where you’re coming from, but IMO they’re no worse than any other top end race shoe for walking in, in fact I find them more comfy than any other MTB shoes I’ve used. Yes ok a Spesh Sonoma will be better for walking, but if I was really planning to do hike-a-bike type stuff (which is fine) I’d not look at any race shoe full stop.

Ditto I’d not buy a lightweight fell running trainer to walk to Everest base camp! Horses for courses and that…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘S-works mtb shoes, buying a pair’ is closed to new replies.