Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ryanair – Opening bike boxes?
  • henni
    Free Member

Hi there,

I am going to move back to Germany fairly soon and I’m going to take two bike boxes on the plane. As one of my bikes is basically just a frame, I want to put all my tools and pump in the box as well. My boyfriend mentioned that he got asked to open his bike box on a flight before and he wasn’t allowed any extra stuff in the box. This was with easy jet though.

Now I am wondering if anybody ever got asked on a Ryanair flight to open the box up?
    I am flying with my parents and sister and one box is booked with one of my parents, so I guess I would’t come across as dodgy. 😛

Cheers,
    Henni

globalti
    Free Member

Nobody gives a damn, stop worrying. Just don’t exceed your weight and give them an opportunity to grab some money from you.

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s very unlikely they would (even with Easyjet…) but if they state nothing but a bike in their T&C then you’re taking a risk. Personally I’d risk it but only if I was either prepared to pay excess baggage charges or dump the additional stuff if needed.

BFITH
    Free Member

Wouldn’t look cool walking onto a plane wearing pads and full-face either! 😳

atlaz
    Free Member

Wouldn’t look cool walking onto a plane wearing pads and full-face either!

Dunno. A friend of ours was going to a few weddings overseas and was told she couldn’t take the 3 hat boxes and 3 coats in suit carriers she had. She wore all the hats and all the coats onto the plane much to the amusement of everyone and the crew of the plane bumped her up a class for making their day.

wallop

Ryanair are always fine to deal with until you break their rules.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Had a mate who went to somewhere in Europe to watch the MotoGP. His motorbike got stolen from the hotel so he had to fly back to the UK.
    He flew back in full one piece motorbike leathers! The airline wouldn’t, however, let him wear his helmet as well!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My lid is always my hand luggage, offered to wear it a couple of times when asked about extra hand luggage.

Take a quick look at air freight costs though, easier than hauling it round

Duane…
    Free Member

It’s very unlikely they would (even with Easyjet…) but if they state nothing but a bike in their T&C then you’re taking a risk. Personally I’d risk it but only if I was either prepared to pay excess baggage charges or dump the additional stuff if needed.

(Henni’s boyfriend here).

When a group of 5 of us went to Morzine a few years ago with Easyjet, they made us all open our bike boxes. Maybe a group of 5 lads looked a little dodgier than a girl and parents though..

Pickers

I’ve just been away with Ryanair – cardboard box with bike, tent, panniers, clothes and everything else – so long as the box was under their weight limit (30kgs) they seemed quite happy. Certainly no mention of peeking inside, and it was obviously not just the bike in there.

crazy-legs

Esayjet have never looked (or asked to look) inside my bike bag. Quite lucky I guess given that it’s always got tools, clothing, spares etc in there as well!

cp

I had mine looked into, I assume by airport security rather than easyjet themselves. Loads of tools and bits in, but no one said anything and I got it fine at the other end.

shaggy

I have had my bike bag inspected (opened or x-rayed in front of me) quite a few times. I’ve been madt to take stuff out but tools etc they dint seem to mind about. Lucky it has never been when I’ve really crammed it full.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ryanair – Opening bike boxes?’ is closed to new replies.