Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ryanair hand luggage confusion.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Anyone flown with them recently? I know you’re allowed two pieces of hand luggage. It says, your main bag, and a smaller handbag or laptop bag. Ok, main bag is fine, but the smaller bag is proving to be a problem. In that, I don’t have one 🙂 The size limit of this bag is 35cm x 20cm x 20cm. Dunno what laptop would fit in there but anyway… Do I need to buy a new bag? Or will I get away with my usual trusty satchel which is 45cm x 30cm x 10cm?

If it’s a case of ‘the rules are the rules’ then fair enough, I’ll go and buy a new bag. But if there’s any leeway I’d rather take this bag. Just don’t want any fines or added stress etc. Probably answered my own question there 🙂

Contacted Ryanair about it but they just quoted the rules at me, then confused me further by saying the rules don’t come into force until January, but wouldn’t say what the rules are now…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

wouldn’t say what the rules are now…

One bag only?

nickjb
    Free Member

The rules are largely ignored as long as you don’t take the pee, but they do have a bag measuring thing by the gate and sometimes do get officious. I think I’ve only seen it once in many flights with them though. I normally go with a soft bag that is bigger but will squish. You can always move things between bags or put stuff in your pockets, or wear clothes you have packed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambourgie
    Free Member

One bag only?

Don’t think so, flew with a girl at the start of the year who had a (massive) handbag.

Unless girls are allowed…

thomthumb
    Free Member

I normally go with a soft bag that is bigger but will squish.

it’s great when some fool squishs their bag in and it wont come out! 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

The rules are largely ignored as long as you don’t take the pee,

Thanks, that’s what I was hoping. Even though the bag is bigger – it won’t be full and is soft so could squish. It’s just that I want to use that bag there, and I love it so don’t want to risk them refusing to let me on with it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

they were bringing in new rules but following the cancelled flights beef they have delayed it. We flew with them in late September aand everyone was still using the ‘standard’ hand luggage bags

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/24/ryanair-delays-stricter-cabin-bag-policy

jambourgie
    Free Member

But the new rules as I understood them didn’t relate to the size/weight of your bags. Just that the bigger one would be placed in the hold (for free) if it had wheels and you’d not paid for priority boarding.

Which is all just confusing the matter. All I want to know is: will I get away with having a slightly oversized second carry-on bag? Even if it’s soft and could be squished, and overall, I don’t take the piss. Or will they destroy it it in a controlled explosion and invoice me for the service?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

it is oversized. you might get away with it, you might not.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Got it. Thanks. Was just wondering about the might/might not ratios 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

I followed someone with an oversize hard-case bag through the gate. They were given the choice of paying extra or not flying, they paid up but I can’t remember how much. If the bag is soft you could take the laptop out and stuff the rolled up bag in an inside pocket or in your other hand luggage while going through the gate. We went through dressed for a very cold day and in walking boots… .

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

As a side note, I’ve actually found Ryanair to be much improved. No more j20 adverts, much more reasonable when it comes to prams, overweight checked baggage and so on. I think you’ll be fine

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I’ve flown with Ryanair loads over the past couple of years, only time I’ve seen staff enforce ‘the rules’ was with someone trying to take six items of handluggage onboard.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks chaps,

I think I’ll be ok. To clarify: it’s the 2nd, smaller bag. My main bag is well within size and weight.There won’t be a laptop in it, prob just a few papers, book etc. I just want the bag with me abroad. So yes, I could prob stash it, roll it up with cable ties etc etc…

If it didn’t have metal studs and buckles I could just gaffer-tape it to my back before I got dressed 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

If your main bag is well under you’ll be fine

geoffj

We flew with them in October. The second bag is supposed to go under the seat in front of you. It was enforced on one of the flights as the lockers were full. I’d prefer somewhere to put my size 12s than carry an extra bag.

Marin
    Free Member

Flew last Saturday with them. Definitely enforcing the rules. Repacked my bags at check-in desk. Luck of the draw innit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ryanair hand luggage confusion.’ is closed to new replies.