Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Ryanair
  • BoardinBob
    Moses

None at all.
    He cancelled my return flight from Morocco, no compensation and offered a free replacement in 3-4 weeks!
    The family of five kids next to us had to fork our £2k for alternative routes back.
    It is an arsehole of an airline

toby1

I’m going to do all I can to never use them again, if anyone else cares to join me then maybe we will see a change in policy eventually.

BoardinBob

I haven’t used them through choice in over ten years, Only time I’ve used them in recent memory was a business trip to Latvia.

Grim.

Jamie
    Free Member

Those who do not have their home-printed boarding pass will be charged £40 to get on their no-frills flight.

No frills? No shit!

Saying that tho i have only used them to go to dublin a couple of years ago and the whole experience was painless.

richc
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used them once, and that was enough. Flew into Oslo airport, however it was 3 hours away from Oslo itself.

That and it made a bus look luxurious

crazy-legs

I’ll have a look through the site every week or so, see what special offers they’re doing. Managed to get a return flight to Spain for £8.02 all in (taxes/charges, the whole works) a couple of months back, used it to visit friends out there. Painless flight (in fact had a whole row of seats to myself!), great time out there. Worth it if you can play them at their own game. 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve been doing 2 or 3 flights almost every week for 10 years on business. The one (western) airline I refuse to use is Ryanair. Not only do they take pride in being deliberately unhelpful, but there have been a couple of incidents reported to the CAA in the last few years which show that their fanatical commitment to cost saving actually compromises safety

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I like bashing RyanAir as much as anyone, but have I missed something here? The story says that passengers with hold baggage can now check in online. Previously if I took my bike to Spain I had to book it online but then check in at the airport. Now I can check in online with my hold baggage/bike and not have to get to the airport so early. Great!

Other than for people with no PC, what is the big deal about not being able to check in at the airport?

Pigface
    Free Member

Vile, spiteful, misleading and the colour scheme in the plane gives you a headache. Use them monthly to go back and for to Sweden, if there was an alternative I would never give them my money again. The charge to pay your fare is the one that sticks in the throat.

The safety factor is a growing issue, how long can you run planes flat out untill one of them goes bang.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I was flying back from Dublin once. Booked with Aer Lingus for many of the reasons people give here. I can’t remember the exact reason, but due to industrial action at Manchester, our flight was cancelled and it was the last of the evening. We had alreay boarded by this stage. Off the plance and off to the hotel for the evening, with several months passing before I got my money back of Aer Lingus.

Guess who still flew as scheduled? Yep, Ryanair

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Although the charge just to pay – as Pigface mentions – is ver irritating!

Harry_the_Spider

Never again. Coming back form Barcelona (Reus) a couple of years ago about half the people in the queue got done for overweight baggage and had to pay a surcharge to get on the aircraft. I weighed the bag when we got back and it was about 2kg under. It was a scam run by the local staff I know, but it left a bad taste about the whole Ryan Air experience.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I do not use budget airlines basically, as they are bad for my blood pressure. I booked return flights to Dublin last year which were advertised as £0.50 each. That cost about £130 all in. Earlier this year went to Malaga with BA. It cost £109 all in, including my bike and they gave me a sandwich. The sandwich was actually included in the price of the flight, and did not make me angry. 🙂

airmanfield
    Free Member

i got stung with this new £40 charge for the ‘boarding card reissue fee’ last week. Robbing f*ckers. They kindly offered to print my return boarding card at the same time for no extra charge – I declined as wouldn’t want to waste such a valuable resource as Ryan Air ink.

trailmonkey

Other airlines are available

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Back to my question though, the story this post relates to is the first “good thing” Ryanair have done for some time, so why are we moaning about it? Really, what is the big deal about being able to check in at the airport. Frankly I’d much rather turn up and fly without all the faff that goes with checking in.

Granted I fully expect them to stop carrying bikes any day now 🙁

Spongebob
    Free Member

My mate said today that Ryanair was successful because they are so cheap. But I have flown BA several times recently because they were the cheapest carrier. BA don’t sting you for bike or ski carriage and have a fair policy on other baggage, checking in etc. They may have been caned for bad service in the past and still aren’t perfect, but at least they aren’t run by such an overtly arrogant person like Ryanair’s cheif executive! If something goes wrong with your flight, BA make some semblance of an effort to rectify the situatuion. Ryanair seem to prefer sticking two fingers up at customers. On BBC watchdog, O’Leary reckoned his firm were entirely reasonable in the bad treatment of their customers – and, ladies and gents, there lies the problem!!!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ok, so, just for a laugh, i’ve checked the prices for a Glasgow prestwick – Belfast return flight.
    Out – £3.00
    back – £0.00

Extra charges
    £1.00 on the return flight – total price £4.00, with no extras, ie web check in and no text messages.

What exactly do you expect for £4.00, topless steardesses serving chilled pina coladas?

stillt – I don’t think they will stop carrying bikes, as long as they can charge you for it, they’ll do it.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Oh and I hate the blue plastic seats on Ryanair planes!

Spongebob
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

ok, so, just for a laugh, i’ve checked the prices for a Glasgow prestwick – Belfast return flight.
    Out – £3.00
    back – £0.00

Extra charges
    £1.00 on the return flight – total price £4.00, with no extras, ie web check in and no text messages.

What exactly do you expect for £4.00, topless steardesses serving chilled pina coladas?

stillt – I don’t think they will stop carrying bikes, as long as they can charge you for it, they’ll do it.

NO taxes then??

trailmonkey

Out – £3.00
    back – £0.00

Extra charges
    £1.00 on the return flight – total price £4.00, with no extras, ie web check in and no text messages

In truth I’d pay considerably more than that to leave Glasgow or Belfast. Though the horror of escaping one only to find yourself in the other could never be compensated for by the purchase of a cheap air ticket.

BoardinBob

Back to my question though, the story this post relates to is the first “good thing” Ryanair have done for some time, so why are we moaning about it? Really, what is the big deal about being able to check in at the airport. Frankly I’d much rather turn up and fly without all the faff that goes with checking in.

Granted I fully expect them to stop carrying bikes any day now

You think it’s alright to charge someone £40 to print out their boarding pass?

Seriously?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Just don’t use them! IT’s a rip off! I have never used Ryan Air out of choice and don’t intend to even if flights are super cheap! You pay £8 to fly to Spain, realistically what service do you expect!?

BoardinBob

Just don’t use them! IT’s a rip off! I have never used Ryan Air out of choice and don’t intend to even if flights are super cheap! You pay £8 to fly to Spain, realistically what service do you expect!?

Just because you don’t use them doesn’t mean you can’t have an opinion on them.

I’ve never used the Nazi party but I still think they’re c*nts.

PePPeR

26 Posts about Ryan air and Godwins law is invoked, is that a new record?

I try at all costs to avoid them too, mainly because the airport they fly out of to get to my destination is Stansted, which I hate rather more than RyanAir itself!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You think it’s alright to charge someone £40 to print out their boarding pass?

No I absolutely don’t.

Let me rephrase my point one last time. We are all happily checking in online for Ryanair when we have no hold baggage. Now we can check in online even if we do have hold baggage, thus we don’t ever need to check in at the airport and can hence turn up later. That is a good thing. I can’t see any reason other than lack of internet access for why someone can’t check in online, and since Ryanair allow you to check in 14 days(?) in advance then there really is little excuse

stilltortoise
    Free Member

And just one last point, Michael O Leary is an arse but he is trying to create a different class of air travel. Think the difference between jumping on and off a timetabled bus versus travelling on a luxury coach. You pay your money and you take your pick. If you don’t like travelling on buses don’t fly with Ryan Air.

kimbers

booking my fligfht to the megavalanche with ryanair 5 quid each way advertised

final price with bikes 130

which isnt unreasonable i just bitterly resent the lies they tell to get the money

eckinspain
    Free Member

I thought the point was that they were doing away with check-in at the airport but now charging you to check-in online (even though that is the only option)

BoardinBob

Let me rephrase my point one last time. We are all happily checking in online for Ryanair when we have no hold baggage. Now we can check in online even if we do have hold baggage, thus we don’t ever need to check in at the airport and can hence turn up later. That is a good thing. I can’t see any reason other than lack of internet access for why someone can’t check in online, and since Ryanair allow you to check in 14 days(?) in advance then there really is little excuse

Cool.

I’ve never checked in on-line with them so I don’t know if they charged you beforehand for this luxury but under their new strategy, you have no option but to pay at least £5 to check in. Something you can do for free at the moment.

I think the salient point is the advertised prices are cheap but once you add up the booking fee, debit card fee, taxes, baggage fee and now the checking in fee, it’s not so cheap. Basically false advertising which I believe they’ve had their knuckles rapped for before. Coupled with fact thay the destination airport is usually hours away from where you actually want to go thus incurring more hefty bus/ train charges…

I honestly believe that if O’Leary could get away with it, he charge you for choosing to have a lifejacket under your seat and the air mask in the event of loss of cabin pressure.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’ve never checked in on-line with them so I don’t know if they charged you beforehand for this luxury but under their new strategy, you have no option but to pay at least £5 to check in.

“RYANAIR is to abolish the traditional check-in desk and will now charge passengers £5 to print off their boarding passes” AT THE AIRPOT

Checking in online and printing your boarding pass off at home still costs nothing.

booking fee, debit card fee, taxes, baggage fee and now the checking in fee

There is no booking fee. Baggage, check in and debit card fee are all optional.

BoardinBob

Still a bag of shite though.

just been on BA and Ryanair.

Flying down to London on a Monday in August and back up on the Tuesday

BA = £95 for everything to Heathrow. Couple of quid for the tube to get into London

Ryanair = £45 for the flights & taxes

Check in 1 bag at the airport = £40

Credit card charge = £8-ish

Stansted Express into London = £30

Getting treated like a cow in an abattoir = Priceless

Total Ryanair cost = £123

Aye. Low cost airline 😆

cuckoo
    Free Member

The charge that annoys me the most is the credit card charge being per person per flight 👿

1 person, single flight = £5 for 1 transaction

2 people, return flights = £20 for 1 transaction

4 people, return flights = £40 for 1 transaction

😕

crazy-legs

You pay £8 to fly to Spain, realistically what service do you expect!?

I expect a plane to take me from Liverpool to Girona on time. It did.
    No complaints there.
    I had (non-Ryanair) insurance that covered me in case of cancellation/delays. I had no hold baggage, I checked in online, I bought no food or drink on board. No problems. In fact I had (as mentioned) a whole row of seats to myself and just went to sleep.

I’m no particular fan of Ryanair or any other airline, they provide a service for which I expect to pay but Ryanair should be congratulated for bringing such incredible competition to the skies and driving prices down. Like any company at the cutting edge of competition they’ve got extremely slick marketing and very good publicity but as others have said, there are plenty of alternatives out there.

If you’re free to travel whenever to often slightly out of the way places then they’re great, you can often pick up flights (inc taxes) for £1. So long as you expect no frills I don’t really see what the problem is.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Actually, I was wrong, from their own website

“Ryanair introduce a £5/€5 online check-in fee per person, per flight, on new bookings, other than promotional fares (fares of “Free”, “€1” and “€5” will include web check-in on a free of charge basis)”

Not quite sure how they can do this, if it’s not an optional thing then it’s part of the fare.

Other than that though, I’m still happy to fly Ryanair. Normally fly with no hold baggage, have a visa electron card so no debit/credit card fee so still dirt cheap fares. When the alternative is a 500 pound flight with BA or 400 quid on a ferry, both of which leave from less convenient destinations then Ryanair is great for me.

kimbers

still they aint all bad….

as i found out when looking for this

kimbers

the worst thing is i bet oleary was all over the girls in that photo shoot like the smarmy scumbag he so plainly is

silverpigeon
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Ryanair’ is closed to new replies.