Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Ryan airs new baggage system
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Flying with them tomorrow to Ireland.

See on my boarding pass they have a new baggage system only 90 bags can go on board, the rest get sent to the hold.

Is it a case of the first 90 get onboard with the bag or something else ?

Reason i ask is im taking my macbook pro and don’t fancy letting it out my sight and in the hands of ryan air staff to go in the hold.

You are allowed a small bag on board too now.

Could i take it onboard in a slip case (waffer thin) and just keep in on my lap ?

fadda

I can’t be of any help, but they really are shit, aren’t they!

cp

It’s of no use now, but I’ve just had a very pleasant experience on BA. Cheaper than any of easyjet, Ryanair etc.. and a huge included hold bag allowance (which you can use up with a bike) and can take on two carry ons.

Thought Ryanair were implementing a ‘customer friendly’ approach now??!

john_drummer
    Free Member

you get what you pay for; I have low expectations & they’ve never let me down!

having said that I can see why they’re getting a bit uppity, some people really should be made to put their cabin baggage in the “does it fit?” thing

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is this for real ? More evidence of what a diabolical company they are. I imagine RyanAir would let the first 90 to checking have a cabin bag or perhaps those who’ve paid the extra cabinbag / priority boarding charge

There was a thread recently from an STW member who was pusueded to check in his hand luggage and promptly had valuables like GoPro stolen.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So does that include say women’s handbags or the little rucksacks say that my kids take? Or is it just suitcase types? Can see a few tears at the gate if the kids bags are took off them!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do Ryanair staff handle the baggage or is that done by whoever the airport contracts to do it?

Cougar

Ryanair are one of the few companies I’ll never deal with on principle. Michael O’Leary is a weapons-grade shithouse with an utter disregard for his customers, I wouldn’t trust him to wash my pants let alone fly me somewhere.

In my opinion.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just read on RyanAir site that you can take a small bag (eg ladies handbag or duty free bag measuring max 35x20x20) on board up until mid March, it doesn’t say what happens until then.

By the way can you believe they charge £70 to print out your boarding pass !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When they run out of room on the dash 8’s we use over there the crew pop it in the hold and hand it back to you. It’s fairly easy and you don’t need to pay them for the privilege…

It’s probably going to be OK Ryanair will just have worked out that it’s cheaper to pay you compensation for not bringing your luggage than to fly it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

By the way can you believe they charge £70 to print out your boarding pass !

Or you can do it yourself for virtually nothing.

Offroading
    Free Member

Looks like im going to have to leave the macbook then.

The sleeve i have for it is over 35x20x20 (bloody tiny bag btw!)

Not chancing a £2k laptop with some monkey at the airport.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ryanair are one of the few companies I’ll never deal with on principle. Michael O’Leary is a weapons-grade shithouse with an utter disregard for his customers, I wouldn’t trust him to wash my pants let alone fly me somewhere.

In my opinion.

I concur.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t think O’Leary flies the planes does he?

How’s their safety record anyway?

PePPeR

I never have an issue, I treat them like a taxi ride, and avoid all the extra money taking parts of their operations and will continue to use them when necessary.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Or you can do it yourself for virtually nothing.

@deadlarcy, what happens if your printer breaks down, you run out of paper or the hotel / apartment you’re staying at doesn’t have a printer ? Banks are now prevented by legislation for overcharging, it very clearly doesn’t cost RyanAir £70 to print your boardingcard.

As for their safety record they’ve been warned a number of times for flying with insufficient fuel (there is a rule requiring planes to carry an adequate safety margin in case they have to divert)

davidrussell
    Free Member

Hey, i flew to Dublin a couple of weeks ago and the cabin was rammed with bags, a lot more than 90. I did 2 journeys under the new system and neither time did they hint at putting stuff in the hold.

Its hardly representative but it is real world experience 🙂 I have flown to dubling a fair bit on Cryingair and to be fair i think the irish and scottish folk aren’t hugely stict about things like baggage size unless a flight is really busy or you are taking the piss with a huge bag thats clearly oversize. Spain, however, seem to delight in screwing you if the bag is 1mm oversize..

I expect its a pita all round if bags have to go in the hold, so they dont bother unless the flight is totally rammed. I’d suggest just getting in the queue reasonably early, belt to the back of the plane and up the stairs, then jam the bag in the hold towards the middle of the plane. You’ll find all the people going up the front stairs are all squabbling about getting that arbitrary seat 12A that they must have.

EDIT – actually, i think they have allocated seating now, so check your boarding pass and get on the plane early!

Cougar

I don’t think O’Leary flies the planes does he?

How’s their safety record anyway?

You.

the point.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

what happens if your printer breaks down, you run out of paper or the hotel / apartment you’re staying at doesn’t have a printer ? Banks are now prevented by legislation for overcharging, it very clearly doesn’t cost RyanAir £70 to print your boardingcard.

Well, if it was going to cost me £70 to get it printed at the airport, I’d damn well find a way. And when I see someone getting charged that amount, I’ll thank him for subsidising my cheap flight. (only quietly, not out loud as he’d probably be a bit angry, like).

Airlines and banks…I don’t think they play to the same set of rules do they? Maybe write to the monopolies and mergers commission, or whatever ombudsman looks after budget airline charges.

geoffj

EDIT – actually, i think they have allocated seating now, so check your boarding pass and get on the plane early!

And this is the crux. Allocated seating reduces the speed of loading because you can’t choose your favourite seat in the scrum. So by threatening to put in the hold bags 90+, you incentivise the needy to get their asses onto the plane ASAP. God forbid their 400 Berkeley or litre bottles of cheap Russian antifreeze vodka ends up out of their sight.

what happens if your printer breaks down, you run out of paper or the hotel / apartment you’re staying at doesn’t have a printer ? Banks are now prevented by legislation for overcharging, it very clearly doesn’t cost RyanAir £70 to print your boardingcard.

All civilised airlines offer phone-based boarding passes – even Little Red!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆

Yes Cougar, it went waaaaaayyyyyyyy over my head. Thanks for pointing that out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Amazing what happens when you screw people over on hold luggage….

Leaving the budget airlines was one of the best things when we left for Oz, the worst I have to deal with here is JetStar – allocated seating, fair luggage prices easily above easyjet.

Mobile checkin is awesome and they just run you off a boarding pass at the gate.

geoffj

hey just run you off a boarding pass at the gate

How very quaint 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mobile checkin is awesome

Indeed. I like it when an airline lets you do your boarding pass on the phone with one of those QR code thingies. I can’t see Ryanair introducing that anytime soon though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can’t see Ryanair introducing that anytime soon though.

I can, it will cost probably involve premium rate text numbers

jambalaya
    Free Member

All civilised airlines offer phone-based boarding passes – even Little Red!

We’re speaking of RyanAir here so they don’t fit the civilised category.

porter_jamie

i flew to nuremberg last week. i paid extra for priority boarding as i was claiming it back, and sat in row 3 as i normally try to. first 90 on the plane take the bag with them, the next ones leave it with the hostess at the front of the plane – they were removing laptops and so on and taking them with them

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In fairness, I’d pay a few quid not to have to print one off and just have it on my phone to scan in at security.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We’re speaking of RyanAir here so they don’t fit the civilised category.

I’m happy to rough it for the prices (and the lack of choice of other airlines on routes I’ve had to fly back to Ireland over the years). Never had a problem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    In fairness, I’d pay a few quid not to have to print one off and just have it on my phone to scan in at security.

Don’t say stupid things like that! Everyone else does it for free

kimbers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Everyone else does it for free

You pay for it somewhere though don’t you?*

If Ryanair offered it as an option, for say, (plucking a figure out of the air) £3, I’d probably be tempted to pay to have one less piece of crap to carry with me.

*Apologies if that’s me missing the point again. I seem to be suffering this affliction this evening.

zokes
    Free Member

When they run out of room on the dash 8’s we use over there the crew pop it in the hold and hand it back to you. It’s fairly easy and you don’t need to pay them for the privilege…

Yes, but that’s QantasLink. See what happens if you fly Tiger….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fly Tiger, no thanks…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only people I have less sympathy with than ryan air are the idiots who fly with them and then think they can complain when cheap doesn’t equal service.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole. Certainly wouldn’t even think of putting my family on them.
    Easy or BA would be the short haul carriers I’d choose.

CountZero

Cougar – Moderator

In my opinion.
    Let us know what you really think! 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Eminem knows how to fly ryan air.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I think everyone should be given a free 10kg allowance and be allowed to decide if it goes in the hold or in their hand – not everyone wants to lug their max-sized cabin roller around with them all day and have to fight for space with everyone else’s coats handbags and french horns.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Ryan airs new baggage system’ is closed to new replies.