Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Ryan Air passenger removal in Spain
  • grantway
    Free Member

Just cannot believe this story or should we!

The thing that gets me is that if you buy anything at the duty free in Spain
    no airline can stop you from taking what one could class as an extra piece of
    hand luggage on the plane nor can the airline charge you for extra hand luggage
    so why do what they done here.

Ryan Air Kicks Off Passenger

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMDl_cVQ-3Q[/video]

zokes
    Free Member

They have rules, and a reputation for being extremely anal about them. Either follow them, or spend the extra (what usually works out to be) ten quid on a proper airline.

EDIT: The last time I few Ryanair from Rome Ciampino, there we very visible guidelines throughout the terminal explaining that Ryanair customers must be able to fit everything they have with them, duty free included, in the standard size bag.

cb

Rabble – had to use them for the first time in almost ten years last week. Hated every minute of it. Made sure I read ALL the rules though to avoid that type of thing. I hope I last at least another ten years…

Moses

Yes, Ryanair only allow one (smaller than most airlines allowance) carry-on bag. If it won’t fit in the Ryanair bag size, they won’t let you on the plane.
    They are a bunch of aerosols but they fly to useful places so I hold my nose & fly with em when I can’t avoid it.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Im not on anybody’s side particularly, but surely their plane their rules?

andybach
    Free Member

I fly a lot and yes Ryan air are v anal about their rules but they also cheap and much more punctual than many other airlines. I often fly with Klm and are frequently delayed by passengers with huge amounts of hand luggage trying to find somewhere to store it.

Everyone knows the choices and knows the rules – take your pick !

br
    Free Member

You fly with RyanAir you accept the consequences.

As a ‘seasoned’ traveller I know this, and only use them if I have to, ie I need to fly into some small out of the way airport.

Hate flying with them though.

Brycey
    Free Member

Don’t get what her/everyone’s beef is. Follow the rules, fly cheap, simple as that.

Regularly get to Carcassonne for absolute buttons, but don’t expect to get there with anything other than a small bag and sore knees from that shiney bit of plastic from the seat 3″ in front of me.

jota180
    Free Member

It doesn’t help clarity when you see big signs in the ‘Duty Free’ shops to the effect that you are legally entitled to carry any purchases [made airside] onto the aircraft in addition to your allowed hand luggage.
    The shop are obviously fighting back but it puts the passenger right in the middle of the battle.
    I had to dump a croissant and a bottle of juice a couple of years ago on a flight back from Dublin.

Pigface
    Free Member

Brycey +1

binners

If you buy a massive amount of duty free, then disguise it as a small child – maybe put it in a pram, they’ll let you on the plane before everyone else. You could even have a pop at drug smuggling. Or arms running.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

I love Ryan air. I always fly with them if i have the choice. I consider the staff my friends and that little Irish fella who owns it has been like a dad to me.
    You can hear the woman say “death to all Americans” in Spanish and she said she will detonate the bomb that’s in her bag if they don’t let her fly! also in Spanish!
    i thought those police were very brave indeed!

Spongebob
    Free Member

What irks me about Ryan Air is their inconsistency about hand luggage.

I was on a flight recently and the overhead locker had one bag in it that was definitely oversize. The bag would only go sideways because it was too long, so nobody else could get anything in there. The steward didn’t give a damn.

So, because I had dutifully complied with the rules, couldn’t stow my bag anywhere near where I was seated. That was a real PIA when it came do disembarking as just nobody would give way to let me retrieve it – you kow how everyone rushes out of the seat the second the plane comes to halt, even though they aren’t going anywhere for at least five minutes.

I hate the overzealous RyanAir hand luggage policy. Why can’t you take a bottle of duty free on with your hand luggage? They are bing really tight!

If they applied their rules to everyone without exception, that would be understandable, but suggesting they are cheaper than other airlines is not actually often the case.

I have flown with them because they have a higher frequency of service and so tend to be able to offer me flights at a more convenient time to suit me, bu are oftent not the cheapest.

O’leary has utter contempt for his customers, has all the charisma of a cockroach and this is clearly reflected in his business.

RyanAir would always be my last option, where reasonable alternatives are available. As for being cheap, I just don’t agree! Complacent, arrogant, mean spirited are the words I associate with this business. One day they will be displaced by a much better airline as people will vote with their feet.

zokes
    Free Member

Spongebob – none of that is any surprise, so either take a different airline, or a different destination. It’s quite clear that Ryanair’s business model (volcanoes and EU rules excepted) works pretty well for them.

geoffj

It doesn’t help clarity when you see big signs in the ‘Duty Free’ shops to the effect that you are legally entitled to carry any purchases [made airside] onto the aircraft in addition to your allowed hand luggage.

The ones in Edinburgh have a small * and a footnote explaining that Ryanair opts out of this.

Part of me thinks that they make the rules and we decide to fly with them if we can live with their Ts & Cs. Another part of me just thinks that O’Leary is **** who treats customers with disdain and I’d rather gouge my bollocks out with a rusty tuning fork than run the risk of contributing towards his bonus.

Ryanair is a textbook case of how a business can adopt the same cultural approach from the CEO down to the trolley dollies – contempt!

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Then its an easy outcome; don’t fly Ryan air.

But we all know you will!

maccruiskeen

I fly a lot and yes Ryan air are v anal about their rules but they also cheap and much more punctual than many other airlines. I

The punctuality is the key. Ryanair is cheap because of quick turn arounds, getting the plane loaded and unloaded of passengers as quickly as possible. So the surcharges for extra baggage etc are all about discouraging you from checking bags in or taking extra bags on so that you get yourself on and off the plane as quick as possible.

cheers_drive

I hate Ryan Air and usual avoid but had to use it over xmas for a short trip in Denmark. I swear that the overhead lockers are smaller than other airlines yet every single person had overhead locker compliant trolley cases filled to the max to avoid paying for hold luggage. It being winter everyone had a large winter coat too so by the time we got onboard (about 3/4 down the queue) there was no overhead luggage space. Cue lots of passengers getting irritated because the cabin crew refused to help or if they had found space other people were crushing stuff their stuff to fit everything in.
    Plane was 15 minutes late taking off because of this and the mood in the plane was very tense. At one point during the delay an old gent tried to use the loo and they stopped him and said he had to wait even if he wet himself. They were so rude it was unbelievable, I can only think that the staff are treated so badly and that their behavior is symptomatic of this.

If they really were cheaper then I could understand more but Easyjet are similar prices and the experience is a millions times better.

geoffj

If they really were cheaper then I could understand more but Easyjet are similar prices and the experience is a millions times better.

+1

Ryanair’s business model works for them and they do fly to some destinations which others don’t , but the whole experience from the psychadelic website to the coin operated loos is just sooooo painful.

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t and never will. I’d sooner find another holiday destination than give them my hard earned.

Stoner
    Free Member
    thegreatape
    Free Member

There’s a £100 Oxygen Reservation Fee!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t and never will. I’d sooner find another holiday destination than give them my hard earned.

Agreed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I flew with them a few years ago, it went fine, even the bike transit.

cheers_drive

Agreed but the inlaws are on the Danish / German border which limits the airlines and airports choices. However after this time we have decided that travelling a bit further at either end and flying Luton to Hamburg on Easyjet is much better than Ryan Air to Billund.

Rich
    Free Member

I always put my luggage under the seat in front. Saves hassle with the overhead lockers.

rockhopperbike

Always wear a jacket with good sized pockets, thus load em up with belongings to get through the bag check, and the put it back into newly expanded wheelie bag when on plane- good for books and bottles that would otherwise stop the bag in the “sizer”

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

So, because I had dutifully complied with the rules, couldn’t stow my bag anywhere near where I was seated. That was a real PIA when it came do disembarking as just nobody would give way to let me retrieve it – you kow how everyone rushes out of the seat the second the plane comes to halt, even though they aren’t going anywhere for at least five minutes.

Mind if I ask what was your rush to get your bag then?

Also, not having access to youtube from here I might be missing this, but if this was purely a baggage issue, why was she on the aircraft, isn’t that all supposed to be dealt with at check-in?

jota180
    Free Member

isn’t that all supposed to be dealt with at check-in?

Like a lot of others, RA don’t generally do physical check-in when you only have hand luggage.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

so the checking of size and weight of the bag is once you’re on the plane? Wasn’t like that last time I flew (which was with RyanAir). The bags were checked before you went through the gate. There was no checking once you were through the gate. Has this changed?

jota180
    Free Member

They sometimes go round checking bags at the gate seating area, other times at the gate itself and sometimes not at all, I’ve also seen RA staff chase people along the skybridge
    That particular woman appears to have refused to conform when told she can’t board with the baggage she has but just went ahead anyway

Albanach
    Free Member

so the checking of size and weight of the bag is once you’re on the plane? Wasn’t like that last time I flew (which was with RyanAir). The bags were checked before you went through the gate. There was no checking once you were through the gate. Has this changed?

At Glasgow Prestwick they check after the security check on the way to the plane. At Dublin they didn’t check at the gate.

As an aside on a recent Dublin to Prestwick flight the flight was delayed by 20 odd mins then the first officer did his preflight safety walk round and went atse over tit putting a gash in his head. Cue flashing lights for the paramedics and another 40 minute delay to find a replacement first officer!

higgo
    Free Member

I won’t – I’ll find another airline. Neither will I travel by coach again in this country – I’ll go by train.

Both are likely to be cheaper and get me closer to my destination but are likely to be unpleasant experiences.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

suprised at jota and albanach’s comments – i’ve always been checked at the gate and never seen anyone having bother on the plane – usually plenty fun and games at the gates though.

that said, never had or seen any bother on a ryanair flight – always on time, luggage always intact. muppet passengers are the biggest pita ime.

blurty

I bought some bits and pieces for Chrismas presents at Dublin before xmas. I was fortunate because a women ahead of me in the queue said she would take the bag on for me.

The Ryan air fun police were fuming.

richmtb

Its not so much the rules.

Its the gleeful way they are enforced.

“Can I check your hand luggage sir”

Put hand luggage in gauge.

“Can I weigh your hand luggage sir”

Hand luggage turns out to be 10.5 kg

BIG GRIN, “that will have to go in the hold £30”

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..or you take something that weighs .5 kilo out and put it in your pocket then ask them to weigh it again.

..or even better, buy a set of pocket scales and weigh stuff before you go to the airport.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Ryan Air seem to be one of those firms who actually hate their own paying customers.

If they treat passengers with distain, I can’t imagine what it’s like to work for them.

richmtb

..or you take something that weighs .5 kilo out and put it in your pocket then ask them to weigh it again.

To be fair that’s exactly what I did.

It didn’t actually do anything to effect the weight of the plane though. Which proves its just a way of them making extra money at the gate

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve flown with them for years and had no problems. But then I take responsibility for my own actions and make sure I have read the T&Cs properly and make sure I have weighed my baggage before leaving home.

Fact is, the carrier has a right to enforce the rules in place, which are there to speed the boarding process up and so ensure planes depart on time and delay charges are not picked up, thus ensuring the airline remains profitable, which is the fundamental reason for any business to exist.

Those that don’t like Ryanair’s terms of business can choose to take their business elsewhere and have higher ticket prices in return for more flexibility.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Ryan Air passenger removal in Spain’ is closed to new replies.