Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • RX100 broken, now what?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I know there are more than a few users hereabouts so worth a shot? I have a Sony RX100 MK1 as primary camera and it just decided to go on the blink. Big time.

Flashing – ‘Error 62:20’

Lens makes various little clunks and whirring noises.

‘Turn power of then on again’. Same. Unit is obviously out of warranty as is older and I bought used (it was mint, from Classifieds) and have always used sparingly/handled as a fragile treasure/kept in a case, so not too pleased with Sony quality in this instance.

Have Googled and found it’s not uncommon. Have followed common protocol, ie reset, removed battery, blown air and even carefully dragged thin paper around lens assembly. Removed the base plate and housing screws, turned on and extended lens. It worked once! Then replaced screws and ‘clunk’ – back to the error.

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone have an Olympus XZ-2 for sale? This paperweight is weighing heavily 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

There will be some dirt in the lens mechanism. Keep taking it apart and blowing compressed air in it until it works or you kill it.

twisty

Yeah I once had a Canon with this problem which was solved by removing a single grain of sand stuck from one of the plastic gears in the lens mechanism.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions. Maybe a proper (read tentative – likely to be increasingly catastrophic) disassembly in order before I sell it as faulty. Or maybe just many a blast and good hoovering first.

Have had a good few compact zooms and have treated all as day-to-day tools without ever a problem. Sod’s law this pampered ponce went bad.

AlexSimon

Yep the RX100 seems much more fragile to me than any of my previous compacts. Hope you get it sorted!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It seems that taking the screws out of the base-plate and housing removing base-plate(then gently easing the housing a millimeter apart) makes it work as per normal. As soon as I screw back together or even minimal squeeze/pressure on the housing there is that lens assembly ‘clunk’ and back to square one. After replicating this scenario thrice I’m considering either selling on as faulty (as is) or risking a disassembly-clean-reassasemble. Latter option gives me the fear but it seems possibly a stupid/simple fault? Or maybe problem with a circuit-board?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘RX100 broken, now what?’ is closed to new replies.