Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Rutland?
  • RichT

I’m up to Oakham later this week and have an afternoon off. Is it worth taking a bike? Is there a ride around Rutland Water?
    Ta

transporter13
    Free Member

You can indeed ride around rutland water and a hybrid or hardtail would probably be best.

colournoise

Even a road bike will get round the lake easy enough, CX probably better though.

20 minutes away you’ve got a short blue trail (and loads of muddy off-piste) at Wakerley Great Wood, with a family trail/blue bits over the A43 at Fineshade.

curto80
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/812726900

Here’s the route

Don’t take a road bike, hybrid/cx/anythingabitnobbly

colournoise

Can also add the loop round the Hambleton Peninsula into that route.

https://www.strava.com/activities/103531313

Haven’t been for a while…

boblo
    Free Member

Stick to the road, it’s lovely.

ton

me and the wife are heading down on saturday, to ride round the water.

looking forward…fingers crossed for picnic weather.

ton

double post.. 😆

jimbobo
    Free Member

I grew up round there. Good steak.

drewd

I also grew up around there. I am also going to be in the area next weekend for my sister in law’s birthday. My brother and I did Rutland water back in September, I was on a hardtail and he was on a CX, both coped fine.

You could hire a bike if Rutland Cycles have anything you fancy trying? Or as has been said there are loads of B roads and villages to explore by bike.

MoreCashThanDash

Used to be my Sunday morning blast round Rutland Water and the peninsula about 25(!) years ago. Thought I was pretty gnarly at the time.

Some fantastic road riding round that area as well. Pretty villages, no big hills but rarely flat. Get very nostalgic if I go back that way.

joat

I broke my collarbone demoing a full suspension round Rutland.
    Oh and I’d recommend a pint of ‘cooking’ at the horse and jockey at Manton on the way round.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rutland Water is shite to ride round – the road riding towards The Langtons/Hallerton & back is tippy-top.

jekkyl

watch out for those hills, there are some pretty serious climbs round that way.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Yep not the most thrilling but now is the time, it’s packed weekends in the summer. I usually ride it once a year for nostalgia.

Seconded on wakerley it’s a nice little blue route.

curto80
    Free Member

This is another option

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/content/giant-365-sportive.aspx

Beautiful route including an ace cafe stop at Wymondham Mill which has a bike shop next door that sells Enigmas.

Some nasty climbs in places especially on the way back.

Rutland cycles is a particularly useless bike shop though.

MoreCashThanDash

The bike shop next to Wymondham Mill is amazing.

The café next door was disappointing. Did a “bacon cob and coffee” deal on an audax there and I wouldn’t have paid £5 for it. Their other stuff may be better.

willard

I ran round it the other weekend. It had hills. I remember it had hills and was cold.

boblo
    Free Member

The road hills in Rutland are not big but they can be steep(ish) and there’s lots of em – it’s like big boys (girls) corrugated cardboard. If I ride over there, I can easily collect 1000m of ascent on an average road ride…

The track round Rutland is great for families and non/neo cyclist’s. The road riding is top and a much better option.

RichT

Thanks all, lots of useful information

hrgb
    Free Member

I blasted round the circuit (not including the hambleton middle extension) on Thursday and it was good fun. Pretty flat and could be done on a CX or hyrbid bike…

cyclelife
    Free Member

Lived 2 miles away from the water for the past 20+ years, it’s ok for a quick blast but as said above there’s much better road riding around the area. Now moved to Sheffield for more varied riding 😉

Go see Jack at the Windmill Bike Shop and avoid Rutland water Cycles!

stumpy01

cyclelife – Member

…..avoid Rutland water Cycles!

You can’t! They’re bloody popping up everywhere. There’s even a decent sized one at Ferry Meadows now…

Seems to be quite a bit of Rutland Cycling dislike on here……not sure what the reason for that is.
    My Wife bought her Spesh Myka from the Normanton branch & it was fine.
    I’ve bought various bits from them over the years as they hold quite a wide range of stock, so you have more choice than smaller bike shops.
    And when friends have used their hire bikes they have always been good quality & well maintained.

Only time I have had issue with them was buying via their website but a quick phone call sorted that out….

cyclelife
    Free Member

RWC – no customer service once they’ve got your cash and piss poor mechanics.

IHN

We went camping that way last August; a lap of the water, including the Hambleton bit, followed by a baguette and chips washed down with a pint in the Horse and Jockey, was a terribly pleasant way to kill a few hours.

FWIW, Wing Hall is a great campsite too, and the food in the pub in the village is OUTSTANDING.

cyclelife
    Free Member

The Kings Arms in Wing is a good pub and well worth a short diversion on your journey around the water, come off the track at Lyndon and there is a bridleway down and across the railway which brings you into the village.
    I will be staying on the campsite quite regularly this year as my instructing takes me there each week, it’s very clean and cheap + a short stagger from the Pub 😉

IHN

The Kings Arms in Wing

That’s the one. We had an amazing meal in there, unfortunately a couple of nice pints + large, rich, game-based meal + bottle of red wine + ventilation available in small camper van = unhappy wife 🙂

curto80
    Free Member

Just got back from a lovely circuit of the 25km route. Me in the trail shoes and Mrs Curto on her Cannondale Quick. It was a beautiful morning, very few people about, loved it.

The people who work in Rutland cycles are just nobs. I don’t go in there anymore.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Rutland?’ is closed to new replies.