Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 'Rusty Rider' considering going back to motorbikes – VFR750 or Triumph ST?
  • bedfordrd

So after a (admittedly drunken) conversation last weekend with a biker of a similar age to myself (late 40s), I’m now considering getting a bike again after a 15 year absence.

Rode for 15 years, up to 13k mi as year in all weathers and used to ride lightweights (RD350, TZR250), 600s (GPz 600, CBR 600) GSX-R 1100 (original version), and ended up on an Aprilia RS250 in my last years of riding (2001), but always fancied a VFR750 from the year they came out and also after reading that week long Performance Bikes mag test – I was hooked!

I see quite a few nice examples of the mid 90’s VFR 750 on the market for a reasonable price (up to £2k), and I know the engines are fairly bullet proof, but… eBay also suggested I look at the Triumph ST 955 – and there are quite a few nice examples of those, similar prices, similar age, similar mileages, similar colours!

So – what would you do? Triumph ST 955, or VFR 750, from the mid-90s. (or slightly later in the case of the Triumph). And why?

Chees, R

(ps – no worries, I’d also book myself onto a ‘rusty rider’ refresher course!)

finishthat
    Free Member

If you always fancied a VFR then get one , the Triumph is a bit of a lorry
    in comparison but has more “character”

failedengineer

I’m a bit biased (Had 7 Hinckley Triumphs!)so I’d say the Triumph. You could nearly get a high mileage ST1050 for that sort of money. Mid you, the VFR’s a fab bike, too.
    I did exactly the same thing in my 40s, too. Started again with a SV650 and then a steady string of Triumphs – TT600, 955 Speed Triple, ST 1050, 1050 Speed Triple, Tiger 800, Bonneville and now a Tiger 800XCX. I’ve looked at other brands (nearly bought a Ducati Monster once), but not been tempted yet. That said, a mate has two bikes which I would seriously consider – a Kawasaki ZRX 1200R Eddie Lawson rep and a Moto Guzzi Griso …….

dufusdip
    Free Member

I had a mate who raved about his VFR750 and I ended up getting a VFR800 one as more of a commuter than my Fireblade. It was an older Blade and have had RF900/CBR600/NC30/TZRs previously, but I absolutely hated the VFR and destroyed my confidence riding.

I wasnt expecting a sports bike handling, but it felt particularly ponderous to change direction. The killer for me was it gave no feedback on the front end, which always felt like it was about to tuck – particularly in the wet – despite trying a multitude of tyres and fork setting and position through the yokes. Ended up replacing it will an old ZX6, not that it sounds like that fits your brief, but I’d advocate a shot on both given your own bike history.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘'Rusty Rider' considering going back to motorbikes – VFR750 or Triumph ST?’ is closed to new replies.