Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rusty nuts on the Paddy Wagon!
  • tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

I’ve been loving using the Paddy Wagon as a commuter for the last six months; it’s a lovely, smooth ride and my legs have definitely benefited from the singlespeed workout.

I’m a little perturbed however by the rust that keeps appearing on the wheel nuts and around the small holes at the (inside) bottom of the forks / seat stays. What can I do to prevent this? It only seems to be surface rust and I clean it up as often as possible, but it looks a mess and isn’t the best on what is a fairly new bike.

Any suggestions? It’s the first steel bike I’ve owned since the Giant Chicago back in ’93. Can I go quick release without dying?

Cheers.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

not sure about QR as I dont know the bike, but couldnt you just fill it with grease? or put a bolt in there that is greased to protect the steel?

breadcrumb

Those are drain holes, don’t block them up as moisture won’t be able to escape.

I think velosolo do stainless steel track nuts, less hassle and more secure than QRs.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Perhaps use a dry wax lube to coat the nuts in a thin film of wax to stop the rust?

I use White Lightning Clean Ride to coat all nuts / bolts, pivots etc on my bikes. Doesn’t attract that much dirt as it drys very much like candle wax and then protects from corrosion.

TiRed

I replace mine after every winter. They will rust. DOn’t worry about it. AW Cycles in Reading or any bike shop near a track will sell replacements. About £3 a set. Or upgrade to Dura Ace track nuts.

QR on the front is fine. On the rear will require chain tugs because the wheel will slip.

Tell me you ride it fixed. If not, you’re only getting half the benefits.

tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, I’ll try some grease / wax product and see how it goes.

Consensus (from here and elsewhere) seems to be QR front only, which is fair enough.

Not dared to ride it fixed yet! Commute is up hill and down dale – the idea of my legs going ten to the dozen down hill is a bit strange. Might give it a whirl over the Christmas break.

Merry Christmas all!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rusty nuts on the Paddy Wagon!’ is closed to new replies.