• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rusty Chain and Cassette- can I ride?
  • Duggan

To be clear I’m not talking about like when you see the local spice addict riding down to the bookies.

Rather, after cleaning my road bike I noticed some spots of rust on the plates of the chain and the teeth of the cassette though not on any of the chain rollers as far as I can tell.

Firstly I’m wondering if this means I have to replace them or whether I can ignore it for a while at least?

Secondly how can I stop it? My garage is a detached garage with no heat or power etc (think like a lock-up) so my assumption is that when I clean my bike if I put it away in a dark, cold garage, spots of water are lying on the chain in the cold and not evaporating. My flat is a couple of floors up so it’s not massively convenient to take it in just to dry off for an hour or so.

I’m thinking if I buy a cheap air compressor maybe I could blast the water out of the rollers and cassette before putting the bike away?

Or if I just spray it all with GT85 would that work? If I do that though can I then just add a load of normal lube on top next time I come to ride?

Cheers
    Duggan

alexpalacefan

Have you got a quick link? If so, take the chain inside with you.

APF

devash
    Free Member

Depending on the chain / cassette plating (less likely to happen on nickel plated chains for example) minor rust will usually come off with a good scrub and some GT85. I’ve had this in the past during winter when I’ve washed my mtb and left it in the cold garage rather than the house.

How can you stop it? A good rubdown with a dry rag and a spray of GT85 on the chain after washing works well if keeping on a cold garage. I keep my bikes in the house so just the drydown with the rag and leave near to a radiator keeps the rust away,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kilo

Run the chain through a rag to dry it off and then lube it?

iainc

It’s just surface rust, nowt to worry about. Try and get it as dry as you can before putting away though

submarined
    Free Member

My MTB chain would hardly move when i got it out after putting it away muddy the other day. Rinse down, douse in gt85, run through chain cleaner, rag, gt85, rag, gt85, lube, ride it to loosen up. It’s only going to get dirty again.

scaredypants

wot iainc said – the visible rust is cosmetic unless it’s somehow so bad that the thing won’t run round the jockey wheels/cassette

GT85 would srive out the water but also the lube so you need to re-lube before the next ride unless it’s just round the block

Get some decent waxy lube “in” the chain (putoline if you like living dangerously but not very often!) and stop fretting

downhillfast
    Free Member

You do not need to replace the cassette and chain if it’s got a few spots of rust on it, it’s quite normal to get a bit of rust especially the side plates of the chain. On my mtb it usually occurred after a wet ride or after washing the bike. Or if the chain isn’t quite lubed enough.
    I try and spray something like GT85 on the drivetrain after a very wet ride or after washing the bike, it just helps to drive out the moisture and protect the chain until I put some lube on before the next ride.
    Nothing to worry about.

Duggan

Nice one cheers for the replies everyone, I’ll stock up on some gt85

mattsccm
    Free Member

Use the cheap WD40 copy stuff that sometimes appears in Pound shops or can be four at car boot sales and markets. Leave a bit more grease than WD or GT. Avoid the brakes and spray the whole transmission. If its a real regular problem don’t mess about with pricey bike lubes, use EP 90 gear oil and a oil can.

nickscots1
    Free Member

WD40 and GT85 displace water but also grease so after cleaning and DRYING the chain with a rag/old shirt or absorbent poundshop jaycloth, then lube before leaving it. Also worth dripping some chain oil down any cable outers etc.

DezB
    Free Member

Or if I just spray it all with GT85 would that work?

Yes. That’s what I’ve been doing since about 1998. Rag behind/under the chain, soaks up the spray, then when chain has been sprayed, run it through the oily rag to coat and wipe off the excess. Sometimes put some dry lube on before the next ride.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rusty Chain and Cassette- can I ride?’ is closed to new replies.