Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rusty barbed wire + shin + not sure if Tetanus is up-to-date – will I die?
  • colournoise

Stumbled through some unseen old barbed wire while trying to take an ‘arty’ photo on my ride today.

So far no ill effects other than stinging a bit.

Not sure the photo was worth it in the end.

slainte 😥 rob

bwaarp
    Free Member

Jesus **** christ.. I can’t diagnose as my training is in Biomedicine…but see a doctor. Tetanus incubation is usually around a week but can be months. It is not a nice disease! From memory it has a pretty high mortality rate as well.

andrewh
    Free Member

Tetanus jab is really easy to get. Worth updating it regardless.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

actually if you had your regular tetanus shots in school, they consider you “covered” for life these days, though consult your doc obviously, i am not one.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure that’s true jeffcape. Unless the NHS have a different policy to the rest of the world, will have to have a gander now out of curiosity.

bwaarp
    Free Member

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1316.aspx?CategoryID=67&SubCategoryID=150 Here, it’s a bit strange. Supposedly the yanks have boosters every 10 years.

colournoise

NHS says initial injections plus 2 x 10 year boosters mean reduced risk.

Have certainly had 2 boosters since I was a teenager so presume I must have had initial shots too.

Wound isn’t actually that deep TBH (bled like buggery to start with but only a scratch really) – just being a bit of a late-night STW mock drama queen.

slainte 😳 rob

bwaarp
    Free Member

note “reduced risk”. As that website states, you should still see a doc. Your life though, a doctors visit is not that much time out of your day compared to a few weeks in ITU.

I had a round circular reddish/brown rash on the inside of my thigh when I was a teenager, with nasty flu symptoms (sweating, nausea and flu). Never went to the docs, later on at university I found out how hilariously wrong that could have gone for me. Any medics who got those symptoms would shit bricks.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Bwaarp,lymes or worse?

bwaarp
    Free Member

This

I don’t think it was but if I’d had it now….I’d have been very worried.

float
    Free Member

i recommend you take a double dose of mtfu every couple of hours, for the next few weeks 😛

stevenc
    Free Member

Currently doing some research into infectious diseases and what not for college. Get and see a Doctor ASAP. You may need a jab.

And keep it clean.

Mugboo

My missus was told last time that she had had enough jabs over the years and not to worry.

Drac

Get that seen to so it can be cleaned and dressed properly. Regardless of the tetanus argument it needs seen to and they advise on the tetanus. Go to a minor injuries unit or walk in centre they’ll get it sorted.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Get it looked at by a “grown-up”, you’ll probably get the needle in the bottom treatment but that’s better than dying of Tetanus.

bruneep

Dibs on your bike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rusty barbed wire + shin + not sure if Tetanus is up-to-date – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.