Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rust proofing new steel frame
  • lehutch
    Free Member

Just waiting for a next Gen Stanton Sherpa to be delivered and I was wondering whether there is any need to rust proof the inside of the frame? I seem to remember seeing a post on here which suggested it’s worthwhile but cannot find this.

If it is worth I guess I could use Waxoyl or suchlike?

matt_outandabout

Just ride it. It will take longer to rust than most folk own it.

Duffer
    Free Member

I looked into this a few years ago; the general concensus was that it’s not worth the bother. As long as they’re looked after, a normal frame will last for decades until it rusts through. It might be worth draining the water out if your bike has been swimming (and I’ve seen people recommending drilling a hole in the BB shell for drainage).

If you do have a stab with Waxoyl though, be careful of it leaking out of the seatstay vent holes and covering your brakes / drivetrain.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

noting, anything you do put in will dribble out over brakes and stuff like that.

PJay
    Free Member

I posted about this recently (thead) and opinion seems fairly divided as to whether it’s worth it.

I’ve used Framesaver in the past (and on my current frame) but I’ve recently noticed that Halfords sell a much larger aerosol can of Waxoyl for about a tenner, which seems much better value; I might try some next frame.

I used to worry a lot about rust but now just take the seat post out and leave the bike up side down for a while and then leave if with the seatpost out to air; it seems to be working as far as I can tell.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Buy bike drill hole in bb shell.

Ride bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used to worry a lot about rust but now just take the seat post out and leave the bike up side down for a while and then leave if with the seatpost out to air; it seems to be working as far as I can tell.

I think the scale of the problem can be seen by the number of threads posted about steel frames rusting through, go on give it 20 years then launch the told you so line

MrSmith
    Free Member

Don’t buy frame saver but get a can of dinitrol, bigger can and much cheaper

slimjim78
    Free Member

I ride prettty much only steel, for 20+ years. I’ve never treated a frame. Rust has never been a problem.

Stop dilly dallying.

MrSmith
    Free Member

2 road frames made with Columbus spirit that have .38mm wall thickness in the middle of the butting (you can actually squeeze the tube and see it ovalise) total value of frames £4.5k so happy to spend £12 on a can of dinitrol.

A stovepipe on-one/planet-X frame I probably wouldn’t bother.

slimjim78
    Free Member

/\ I probably wouldn’t ride one of them in anger

bikeneil
    Free Member

Don’t quote me but i do believe the new Stanton frames are internally rust protected before they are painted, like Cotic frames are.

MrSmith
    Free Member

/\ I probably wouldn’t ride one of them in anger

well they are road frames so I’m not ragging them round the local woods, ridden them through a few winters/paris roubaix/flanders though,

xyeti
    Free Member

I’d say that a scuttle through the Arenberg Forest on cobbles would be far worse than a hack through my local woodland pootle.

The thought of a steel frame ovalising makes my Arse cheeks pucker up.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I used to spray the insides with WD40 and let dry before building.

No idea whether it helped, but it made me feel better. 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

Linseed oil on the inside of some of my frames.

PJay
    Free Member

Linseed oil on the inside of some of my frames.

I’m pretty sure that that’s the main component of Framesaver, I think that most of the nasty stuff in there is propellant and solvent to get it into the frame.

lehutch
    Free Member

Nice one guys…

Trust me, I won’t be dilly dallying…I shall be riding this bad boy as soon as I can get it built…I’ve been waiting long enough to do so…

matther01
    Free Member

All the latest Stanton frames are internally treated. The man himself has said so on the Stanton FB page

lehutch
    Free Member

Thanks Matther01

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rust proofing new steel frame’ is closed to new replies.