Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rust on a steel frame
  • kevster
    Free Member

Looking at buying a S/H frame, one of the frame’s I am looking at has had some minor cable rub on the head tube which has turned a rusty colour, this doesn’t rub off with a cloth. Is this something to worry about?

wwaswas

no, unless there’s metal flaking off.

if you’re worried use a bit of chrome cleaner to clean it off and then nail varnish.

Duffer
    Free Member

As above, a bit of surface rust adds character. It’s only worth worrying about if the frame is decades-old.

Spray loads of WD40 down the seat tube regularly, and leave it upside down to drain every now and again.

plyphon
    Free Member

You will be long in the grave before rust is a contributing factor to the failure of a frame.*

*This may be exaggerated, but the principle is correct.

kevster
    Free Member

so rust that has accumulated externally on a frame over 6 months is not worth worrying about?

Duffer
    Free Member

so rust that has accumulated externally on a frame over 6 months is not worth worrying about?

I wouldn’t worry about it, put it that way. 60 seconds with a wire brush will no doubt reveal good steel below the surface rust. As above, it’s only worth worrying about if it’s been left for years.

Kryton57

plyphon – Member
    You will be long in the grave before rust is a contributing factor to the failure of a frame.*

*This may be exaggerated, but the principle is correct

a man from Genesis told me this – he also told me their frames have lifetime replacement warranty in the case of failure by rust.

wwaswas

My Gary Fisher, illustrating that rust can kill a frame. I never did establish why he bothered powdercoating it having uncovered that but that’s not the point…

kevster
    Free Member

wwaswas – does seem strange powdercoating a frame with holes, guess they occurred after blasting?

wwaswas

no, I’d pointed out there was what looked like rust damage on the tube before he started and that was the main reason to get it blasted – to find the extent of the damage. I never though to say ‘look, if it’s scrap just stop at the blasting stage’

kevster
    Free Member

you’d have thought he would have asked!

kevster
    Free Member

wwaswas – can I mail you a pic for your thoughts?

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    no, I’d pointed out there was what looked like rust damage on the tube before he started and that was the main reason to get it blasted – to find the extent of the damage. I never though to say ‘look, if it’s scrap just stop at the blasting stage’

*checks Kinesis frame* 😉

takisawa2

Blasting…!!!
    Should never heavily blast a good quality frame as tubes are so thin. A very light blast just to key the surface for new paint, but should never strip the paint by blasting it.
    Steel rusts, not a lot you can do but cover it back up. My SIR.9 has a few bubbles where the top tube gusset flexes. Doesn’t bother me.

wwaswas

Takisawa I was using the term loosely – he knew what he was doing in the blasting cabinet.

Kevster of course email in profile.

Kryton – I think the previous owner stored salt water in the seat tube of that GF 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rust on a steel frame’ is closed to new replies.