Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Russell Brand toasts Hugo Boss, GQ, Boris Johnson and Noel Gallagher…
  • konabunny
    Free Member

…although to be fair Noel Gallagher is a friend of his. Brand’s comments on stage are pretty funny (esp by the standards of awards show thank you speeches) and his column in the Guardian is very well-written, I think.

It’s got to be up there with dumping dead sheep in the auditorium and (mock) machine gunning the audience. His mum Jo must be so proud of him.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/sep/13/russell-brand-gq-awards-hugo-boss

wrightyson
    Free Member

I truly wish I could write like that!
    Must read more!!!

highclimber
    Free Member

It had the vibe of a wedding dinner where the best man’s speech had revealed the groom’s infidelity. With Hitler.

Brilliant article.

sputnik
    Free Member

Don’t know about his mom but I’m proud of him.
    Anyone with the balls to say it like (you think) it is when you are at an event like that is a hero.
    Oracle indeed.

anagallis_arvensis

His speech was pretty good, but is it just for publicity? I don’t like his writing though.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Intelligent, erudite, witty, thoughtful and right. Still annoying! One of the best celebs out there.

crankboy
    Free Member

Looked at dispassionately the Nazis did have better uniforms .

colournoise

Do we celebrate or cry when our collective conscience appears to rely on Russell Brand and Stephen Fry?

In not crying.

deluded
    Free Member

I’m inclined to agree with oooobobbyzamora in the articles comment section.

Campus revolutionary stuff & Brand has an uneasy time of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds.

Northwind

On the one hand, he’s a total knob. But on the other, he can really bloody write when he wants to. Think he comes out ahead.

konabunny
    Free Member

Campus revolutionary stuff & Brand has an uneasy time of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds.

I don’t think he’s Chomsky or anything, but I do think if a (supposed) leading light of the ruling party shows up to a showbiz awards show and making quips about genocide, then they deserve to get pulled up on it. Equally, there’s nothing wrong with pointing out how evil corporations can be at a time when we’re all wondering about the actions of the “don’t be evil” tax dodging company in cooperating with the NSA. Hugo Boss used slave labour and only began compensating the victims in 1999. And if you sponsor awards shows because you want to seem cool and avant garde, then don’t get surprised when it bites you in the arse occasionally because someone cool made an unguarded comment about you.

As for the hare/hounds stuff: I think that’s a level of integrity one might expect from a foreign minister or priest, but not from a man paid to wear funny clothes and tell Ronnie Corbett style gags on the themes of drugs and sex.

FuzzyWuzzy

His bit about drug use is well written and powerful stuff too IMO http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/mar/09/russell-brand-life-without-drugs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Russell Brand toasts Hugo Boss, GQ, Boris Johnson and Noel Gallagher…’ is closed to new replies.