Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Russell Crowe and the irish accent!!
  • sobriety
    Free Member

To be fair to him at least he tried, unlike the last hollywood robin hood…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Of course, the "Midlands" accent was attempted for the sake of "authenticity"… Apart from the fact that the Robin Hood story is largely myth built on the slimmest of historical evidence, in those days they would either have been speaking Anglo-Saxon English ( a sort of pre-Chaucerian dialect) or Norman French.

Hollywood. Pah. 🙄

trailmonkey

what a punter

bikebore
    Free Member

May be a dodgy accent, but he's a good bloke unlike most of the Hollywood luvvies.

Saw him last weekend at Legoland with his son, he queued behind my wife for a go on the rollercoaster, no fast tracking, no "don't you know who I am".

saleem
    Free Member

Yes his accent was a mess but if he attempted an authentic accent nobody would have understood him, I'm baffled why these so called mega stars get paid 20 million+ a movie when they can't get a grasp of accents, look at Sean Connery, a so called mega star, but he's never been able to do an accent, is shocking, got to say his son was a better Robin Hood but that's just my opinion.

hels
    Free Member

He's Australian you know.

anagallis_arvensis

I dont think its the fact that the accent isnt authentic, its just the fact he's obviously tried an accent and it doesnt sound like any accent known to man. I mean no one cared that he didnt sound spanish in gladiator did they.

stevomcd
    Free Member

saleem: You didn't like Connery's Russian accent in The Hunt for Red October? One of my all-time favourite movie accents! 😀 "There are shings in here whicsh don't react too well to bulletsh!"

I once saw the movie dubbed into French. They'd actually tried to get someone who sounded a bit like Shir Shean, so you had a French guy trying to do a Scottish guy trying to do a Russian guy. Genius.

I kind of wish with film accents that they'd just go for a non-descript one. Crowe's "Gladiator" accent was pretty non-descript British anyway and would have worked fine.

The weird scottish-irish mix (although apparently supposed to be English) the hobbits came out with in Lord of the Rings really irritated me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I reckon he should have given Robin Hood an Australian accent. After all, it is an accent which is historically associated with convicted criminals, and therefore rather appropriate for a terrorist who was engaged in criminal activities against the legitimate Norman/Plantagenet government of England.

trailmonkey

i think the salient point is – why not just use an english actor in the first place ?

NikNak7890
    Free Member

He supposedly based his "accent" on Michael Parkinson! 😆

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Monkey Dust had it pretty much spot on:

zaskar
    Free Member

You hurt his feelings Radio 4.

LOL god can't he hold his own?

highclimber
    Free Member

there are certain words he said that did sound slightly yorksireish but most of the time it did sound a little irish!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Norman French was the language of the aristocrats of the time was it not?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I haven't looked at the Youtube clip so maybe is says it there – but apparently he based the accent on Michael Parkinson. 😯

jon1973
    Free Member

He's Australian you know.

He's a friggin knob, that's what he is.

Jamie
    Free Member

i think the salient point is – why not just use an english actor in the first place ?

Bankability i would imagine.

ratherbeintobago

apparently he based the accent on Michael Parkinson. 😯

Yes, 'cos clearly Barnsley's in Nottinghamshire (it's not even in the E Mids, FFS)

Andy

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Bankability i would imagine.

But Wayne Morris made the best Robin ever *FACT*

…….and Forbes Collins made the best ever King John

donsimon
    Free Member

Surely Tom Cruise should get the prize for worst Irish accent??

Jamie
    Free Member

But Wayne Morris made the best Robin ever *FACT*

…and that is why i said the decision was made for financial reasons and not on artistic merit.

Pay attention at the back now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surely Tom Cruise should get the prize for worst Irish accent??

Yeah, and pretty much everyone I know who tries to tell me an Irish joke. I reckon it's one of the hardest accents to do well. Pitt gets some credit for his attempts in Snatch, but his was still very flawed ("dag" for "dog"…never heard an Irish traveller call one a "dag").

The Quiet Man was fabulously bad 🙂

GrahamS

> He's Australian you know.
    He's a friggin knob, that's what he is.

Actually he's a kiwi, born in Wellington with M?ori and Welsh grandparents.

He's a "Naturalised Australian", which I assume is like an organic version of "Pasteurised Australian".

ratherbeintobago

Actually he's a kiwi, born in Wellington with M?ori and Welsh grandparents.

He's a "Naturalised Australian", which I assume is like an organic version of "Pasteurised Australian".

Kiwis emigrating to Australia is said (by those staying in NZ) to raise the average IQ of both countries.

Andy

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member
    apparently he based the accent on Michael Parkinson.
    Yes, 'cos clearly Barnsley's in Nottinghamshire (it's not even in the E Mids, FFS)

Andy

Wah?

Robin Hood was from Gods own country! Yon home of cricket, rhubarb and liquorice

The clues in his name, Robin of Locksley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loxley,_South_Yorkshire

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Russell Crowe and the irish accent!!’ is closed to new replies.