• This topic has 1,256 replies, 205 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,257 total)
  • Rushup edge resurfacing
  • martinhutch

Perhaps it’s time to highlight where DCC Highways could be spending the 70K it’s planning to spend on Rushup, as well as the next tranche of money that will be invested in short-term gravel on the Roman Road descent.

Maybe invite the public to send in pics and nominations for ‘Peter’s Daily Pothole’?

Pook

Correction: £35k on Rushup, £70k proposed on Roman Road.

;o)

Pook

Morning all,

Peak District MTB have produced their official response to the report. This has been sent to the cabinet member and meeting panel.

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/index.php/85-dcc-s-rushup-edge-report-to-cabinet-our-official-response

It feels a little like a last roll of the dice now, but fingers crossed that even if we don’t get the result we’re hoping for, DCC will be forced to work constructively with groups from now on. Thanks for all your support..

BadlyWiredDog

What does the Peak District National Park Association have to say on the current situation? They were very cross when it all kicked off, partly because they hadn’t been consulted by DCC, partly because they felt the nature of repairs was not in keeping with the surroundings, though they also have a responsibility to ease accessibility for different user groups.

And what’s the Peak District MTB ‘best case scenario’ now on Rushup – i.e. what is ‘the result we’ve been hoping for’?

thepodge
    Free Member

I think both are listed in the document linked

Onzadog
    Free Member

To my mind, the best outcome for rushup is they clear their fly tipped rubble and leave well alone. Best outcome for the long term is that they tighten the leash on the ROW department and stop them running away unchecked.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don’t think the best case scenario and result we’re hoping for are even the same thing. What we asked for all those months ago feels ambitious in light of what’s happened (or not happened) since. However if we are seen as a serious and valuable advocacy group, who can provide valuable consultation such that this kind of fiasco doesn’t occur in future, that will be a welcome result.

As for Rushup? Time will tell, but leaving it in its current state is simply not acceptable.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I suspect that Rushup now is a lost cause- as they’ve already laid what is effectively a sub-base they will aggregate over it as a best-case scenario now that chippings seem out of the question and the trail will be simply a level farm track.

I think that the main thing that PDMTB can come away with from this is DCC consulting in future and hopefully prevention of other work. Removal of the material already on Rushup is extremely unlikely I think.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which I have a suspicion, is exactly why dcc dumped it on there as quickly and quietly as they could. Like they say, it’s easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Shame, because if they had to take it out, they might learn something from this whole fiasco. I think well see exactly the same thing happen next time as well.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Remember the cost angle in all this. No one wants DCC spending loads of money on maintaining high moorland tracks when there are far more important things they should allocate their budget too. Whilst it might irk in terms of the end result, the most cost-effective way to resolve the Rushup problem might well be to stick with their plan A (and hope that lessons are learnt).

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much volunteer work might it take to barrow it off for them? I know finishing might be cheaper but it has to be worth suggesting that they cost up removing it. Is anyone going tomorrow?

Pook

If anyone can it would be a HUGE help. Get in touch with either me or Dan (StillTortoise) to get involved

robware
    Free Member

Onzadog – I mentioned this to my riding party after going down there yesterday. First time I’ve seen it in the flesh and it’s an abomination. I reckon there are enough of us to rally and remove it.

But then, maybe I’m optimistic.

munrobiker
    Free Member

*deep breaths*

Well done everyone, regardless of the outcome.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Did we manage to get anyone to attend? I’m guessing most folks, like me, wouldn’t be able to get leave during holiday season at such short notice. This does seem to have been wait, wait, wait, wait, bang! I’m tempted to think that’s part of their underhanded tactics.

Pook

Sadly not. But we did get an official question to be asked.

thepodge
    Free Member

Was that question “Who do I have to kick in the nuts to get this done properly”?

Pook

Ah, you were there!

Onzadog
    Free Member

So, how long do we need to wait before we find out just how badly we’ve been screwed over?

woody21
    Free Member

Would the local Cllr be able to find out?

Pook

I suspect the minutes will go up online at some point. Hopefully tomorrow.

Put money on peter not letting us know

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If everyone took a bootfull off and dumped it on Mr White’s drive that would probably get the message across.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How very very tempting. Or make it less personal and drop it off at county hall.

woody21
    Free Member

It could be between 5 days to 14 days before the decision is published.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve asked DCC to let me know when the minutes will be available along with a written response to some specific questions.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Be interesting to see if they “forget” that simple request.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The chap I’m emailing has been quite responsive over the last week so I remain hopeful.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Fingers crossed then. I can only assume your contact doesn’t have the initials P.W.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

What a crock of Shi…

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/countryside/access/latest-work/chapel-gate/default.asp?VD=chapelgate

Many thanks for all those that gave so much time and effort into this.
    I started this thread 8 months ago with the realisation that this would more than likely be the outcome but it still feels like a big kick in the balls today.

Farewell rushup edge we had some fun times

fathomer

🙁

I’d love to see all that were in favour as I don’t buy it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Right, let’s pick a date and a route that’s predominately footpath and we’ll have our own mass tresspass.

h4muf
    Free Member

It’s the only way i think.If we can get 32 people on a pootle,surely we can get 100 folk together to make a stand?

BadlyWiredDog

Just out of interest, how do you think riding on a footpath is going to impact on DCC? If you’re going to protest, maybe it would make more sense to go and do it on DCC’s doorstep where they might notice rather than potentially irritate the like of the PDNPA. A Danny MacAskill-type launch off the top of county hall might do it…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I like your thinking BWD 🙂

It is a good point though. DCC would probably love a load of MTBers taking to the footpaths pissing off other users of those paths. It helps reinforce their biased image of MTBers as the “troublemakers”. To quote DCC

Peak District MTB have put a quick summary up on their website about this latest development

kelvin

Read their own summary of submissions, near the end of this:

PDF

Peak District National Park Authority and the National Trust both submitted sensible comments, but were, ultimately, ignored.

Let’s face it, anyone who said anything other than, “level it, it’s a carriageway” where always going to be completely ignored.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

They are villifying MTBers because we protested. We tried to engage with PW over the Long Causeway, he lied to us at our meeting with him and some of the statements he made during that meeting make chilling reading in retrospect for anyone who likes the idea of wild and remote places reached by tracks and bridleways. We put a full and detailed report on the PDMTB website of our meeting – it’s worth a re read.

I am left wondering what is the point of a National Park? It seemingly preserves nothing, has no power other than to tell me that I cannot put up a shed in my garden, meanwhile DCC are able to do as they will.

Roman Rd is next on the list and the first rumour was road planings. We have to keep fighting, forming alliances where they work for us and making sure that the woefully poor lies and propaganda put out by DCC ROW officers is shown for what it reall is.

A mass trespass will do nothing but alienate MTB riders from other user groups, times have changed, the mass trespass was a protest of it’s time. We have other tools at our disposal and I suspect an ability to generate national support. The only thing we need to overcome is apathy.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

This is the article that rogerthecat refers to above:

http://www.peakdistrictmtb.org/index.php/25-derbyshire-cc-meeting-report

Onzadog
    Free Member

So what is our best plan of attack? Can we go higher up and get someone somewhere to “audit” the unbiased and democratic process? Is that worth pursuing?

ragpuddin
    Free Member

Appeal every decision and badger the **** out of them every time they move. Just keep pointing out their own bullshit and garner as much attention as possible.

It’s about the only thing you can do, other than privately go commando and drill down into any new hard pack surfaces and force water down the holes over periods of time. Probably not recommended though. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,257 total)

The topic ‘Rushup edge resurfacing’ is closed to new replies.