Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rushup Edge or Greenlands
  • jekkyl

heading up that way on Thursday as I’ve not been up there for several years. Which is betterer, Rushup Edge/chapel gate or Greenlands?
    thoughts and meanderings on the topic?

Garry_Lager

Wouldn’t choose to descend Chapel Gate – dull as. Over to Mam Nick / Greenlands or Hollins cross and down everytime.

carlos
    Free Member

Defo NOT Chapel Gate, its just a fast, loose, uninspiring descent.

Depending on your route plans, you could drop from Mam Nick towards Small Clough, Climb Greenlands and then drop down to Nether Booth off of Hollins Cross.

Another option would be quite cheeky and cuts across to the top of Jacobs from Rushup Edge.

What sort of route you thinking about??

Carlos

cb

Which descent is Greenlands?

If you do Rushup – look out for the dent that I left in it last night…

carlos
    Free Member

cb – Member
    Which descent is Greenlands?

As your stood with Castleton behind you @ Hollins Cross, it the one that drops to the left and then after about 100mm keep left at the fork, follow this to Greenlands farm

HTH

Carlos

jekkyl

this one: https://staging.justgoride.co.uk/Routes/24879
    standard ladybower loop. We’ll be a little pushed for time so trying to maximise the fun for the smallest amount of effort.
    I reckon broken road>greenlands> hollins cross and then up to hope cross.
    & at the end weighing up a scenic ride round the top of the res and just drop straight back into hope and along to Castleton instead of going back up to come down the Roman road.

I’m stopping at edale YHA tonight and I’ve brought my lights so I might have a ride up mam tor tonight and down rushup/chapel gate see what I reckon to it.

jekkyl

this site is ace for identifying the drops:

Home

ebennett

That’s basically the route I did on Saturday though I went down Greenlands rather than along Rushup. Was just under 4 hours all in, and I reckon doing Rushup would add another half hour onto that. Definitely wouldn’t do Chapel gate over Greenlands, Greenlands is much more fun and might give you time to go back up the Beast and do spud alley or do Hagg farm.

carlos
    Free Member

justgoride linky no worky for me

jekkyl
    Pook

I might be out that way tonight. Don’t bother with Chapel at all, it’s crap.

carlos
    Free Member

Jekkyl – email sent 😉

cb

Carlos – thanks – did that last night, didn’t know the name!

cb

uhmm that monkeyspoon site reckons Greenlands is left after Mam Nick (rather than traverse around the hill to the flag descent to Hollins Cross) rather than left at Hollins Cross?

Both end at the farm though.

jekkyl

Carl, you’re a star, having a gander now.

jekkyl

yeah when I refer to greenlands I’m meaning the one stright off mam tor towards edale village.

Pook

cb – that’s because it is!

Three descents off Mam Tor round the back; Greenlands (i.e. Mam Nick to Greenlands Farm, Hollins to Greenlands aka Hollins (usually a climb in my book), and Back Tor.

cb

Ok thanks – all clear now! If you get to Hollins via the traverse from Mam Nick, you have the two options mentioned above. Right goes into Castleton? Is this ‘legal’. Also, straight over (if you come down the flags to Hollins) there is a route – assume that is frowned upon? Seems to go up and all along the ridge?

mildbore

Descent to Castleton is a bridleway, just make sure you go through the gate on your right and go uphill a few yards, then it loops round to descend off the hill. You won’t want to go straight on, v rubble (illegal) track with v steep bits, then a grassy drop when you get to the top of Lose Hill

bennyb
    Free Member

Anyone rode down from lose hill towards Hollis, walked it a couple weeks and thinking of using this as a loop with ladybower instead of along the road and up jaggers both ways. Most looks easy , steep rocky bit in the middle, think it’s the top of Back Tor, now that does look tasty!!! Anyone ridden this bit???

mildbore

Often thought about it but fear has stopped me. Let us know if you ride it and survive. If you don’t post we’ll assume you’re dead

jekkyl

We had a fantastic ride yesterday, the weather was ace sunny sunshine all day. Greenlands descent is brilliant, so glad we did that over rushup edge. Steep grassy banks at first giving way to dirt, boulders and more grassy banks. The runs were a bit disconcerting in places at there’s dark holes between the grass ridges, where the grass grows and you can’t easily see how deep the the hole is, so you ride into it expecting any minute to trap the wheel and go otb. The hills punished us as we’re not used to such steep techy climbs, the hill after the beast up to Nabbs wood absolute destroyed us so we opted to just pootle round the end of Ladybower after that and back to Castleton, which was plenty. I came a cropper on the Beast and being a bit over ambitious webt otb at a slow speed, split my knee open and my garmin smashed on a rock! the screen became a grey rainbow and it still recorded the whole ride.

dannyh
    Free Member

Ah, Chapel Gate. One of the early examples of public money funded vandalism. It used to be lethal – loose, rutted, rocky and with some vestiges of tarmac that provided a real test of balance if you tried to use them to get a bit of a rest from the other mayhem. Great fun and a very involving descent.

The first time I climbed it after the resurfacing I thought I saw potential for it deteriorating quickly as the top surface had cracked into dinner plate sized bits. Alas, the drainage bars are ‘well’ positioned, so the track hasn’t gone back to its old self.

I know it was a byway and was being churned up by motos, but just flattening the whole thing was an early warning about the powers that be and their plans for the area…..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rushup Edge or Greenlands’ is closed to new replies.