• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Runnists: backpack that doesn't rub the skin off your back..?
  • poltheball
    Free Member

Hi all

Never been much of a long distance runner, but just started training for a marathon next Oct that the wife talked me into.

Busy life means that training has to fit around uni and social life, resulting in me running the 5k in to uni instead of just riding the bike. Only problem is that the bag I’m using (Evoc 16L jobbie) to cart my books/lunch/change of clothes is rubbing the skin off my lower back.

How do runners get round this? I can’t think of a style of bag that would still fit my kit in it and not rub at some point on my back.

Suggestions/tips appreciated

tuboflard

Inov8 packs are very good at carrying a decent sized load without rubbing, they’re designed for doing long distance races so should be perfect for what you are after. I’ve regularly run 10 to 20 miles with one. Other brands which also produce something similar are Ultimate Direction (though tend to be smaller and more like a race vest) and Montane. I’ve also got a very large Macpac adventure racing pack which is huge but really comfortable to run with.

The main thing as it seems to me is to either have no wast belt at all so the pack sits high on your back, or a very stable waist best which wraps above your hips well so it stablises the load from moving at all.

hooch1987
    Free Member

Have a look at some OMM rucksacks. Should be able to handle the commute to uni, can compress down quite well so should hold the books steady. Ebay has quite a few on at the moment.

tuboflard

Should have mentioned OMM too…

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve an OMM sack, 20 litres I think, done a mountain marathon with it. Pack so that there’s something soft at the base of the sack next to your back.

poltheball
    Free Member

Cheers guys, will have a look at those

The main thing as it seems to me is to either have no wast belt at all so the pack sits high on your back, or a very stable waist best which wraps above your hips well so it stablises the load from moving at all.

That makes sense – the Evoc has very good waist belt that’s great when biking, but when running I wind in the straps to howk it further up my back and stop it flopping side to side. That means the waist belt is a bit higher so the load can still move a bit.

dovebiker

The smallest pack that takes your gear that can be cinched-up really tight and doesn’t bounce – a good hip belt really helps. Osprey Talon range is good. I’ve also got a Hoka Tor which is half rucksack / half trail vest with lots of pockets – used it for 60km offroad run/walk with no troubles.

Stainypants

The other option is decathlon. They do a number of different sizes used them in long fell races and upto 26 mile marathon training sessions with no problems

dragon
    Free Member

Exped Cloudburst is silly light and really stable. Just make sure you pack it correctly and worth getting some foam to help pad the back and stop things digging into you.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I trail run, done some longer distance runs of late, but have always used my camelbak that I used to use for MTB’ing, I do tighten the shoulder straps up to keep the bladder higher up my waist, then use the clasp quite tight around the waist to stop it flopping about. Might be too big for you, but for me it’s been good and saved me buying something else just for running.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Also maybe try a different base layer.

When training for a 42 mile run last year I just used the smallest of my 4 packs, which happened to be an old Berghaus one. Nor a running specific one at all.

Worked well when cinched up tight. Pack out any empty space with light weight waterproof to keep it stable.

What I did notice was that with my Skins warm polyester base layer I got sore patches after 20 miles.

With a Gore running wear merino I didn’t get any rub at all.

poltheball
    Free Member

re baselayers, I tend to find whatever I’m wearing (normally just a tech tee, nothing posh) rides up and gets caught under the bag no matter how much I pull it down. I do have a couple of proper baselayers with rubber hems that would do the trick (possibly) but I’m not keen to wear them for the smaller runs – they get really stinky and I’m not quick enough on the washing 😆

ahsat

I started running with a Montane Fang 5 which is impressively stable. However probably not big enough for you. A mate who runs to work 3-4 times a week with stuff and at the elite end of amateur runners, uses one of their Dragon 20. Looks like the same harness as my Fang so I’d imagine equally as good.

Dragon 20

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Runnists: backpack that doesn't rub the skin off your back..?’ is closed to new replies.