Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Runningtrackworld – is this just a MTFU moment
  • stany
    Free Member

So I started running a month ago as I’ve entered the Nuts Challenge and not run around anything since my school days.
    Did a 7miler today, mixed on and off road. Some hardpack, much mud and a few Dorking hills. My legs were OK but a bit sore while on the run but 2 hours after, my knees are screaming at me. It’s painful to walk, especially downhill. Did I just overdo it or have I got a legitimate reason not to run?
    This was supposed to be a fitness thing while the trails dry out. Feels like I’m knackering my old body.
    I don’t want to end up unable to ride.

wwaswas

have you built up to it.

I found last time I did runnign I relied on my aerobic fitness and just went out and ran too far too soon. I couldn;t walk upstairs for 2 days later.

This time I’ve started gently andf haven’t had the same problems.

Last night my wife entered me in a 10k at Bedgebury in June so I guess I’m goign to have to stick with it now.

Jamie
    Free Member

So I started running a month ago

Did a 7miler today

I just overdo it

8) *

*I am not a doctor.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Take 2 Nurofen & ice.

See how you feel in the AM.

Dont over do, knee overuse injuries can be a bugger to shift. Trust me I know, Ive had Patello Femoral Syndrome (a typical runner or cyclist overloading injury for nearly 7 months..)

stany
    Free Member

Yeah Jamie, I expected that. Reading it back it’s pretty obvious.
    WWW – I built up to it in the sense of start simple and gradually add a loop of something else. Looks like I need to be a bit more gradual though.
    I didn’t think an hour would overdo it that much. Bugger!

scaredypants

Jamie – Member
    *I am not a doctor

LIAR !

glupton1976
    Free Member

Depends how quuickly you did the 7 miles.

But for what it’s worth my first runs were all 5km, the next week they were 6km, and I had no problems with that distance. It’s all about listening to your body and not putting it in a position where it’s going to take longer to repair itself than you’re prepared to rest for.

mikey74
    Free Member

As someone who has also taken up [trail] running recently, and doesn’t know the meaning of easing one’s self in, I can say that you will definitely pick some minor injuries and niggles. Some you can run through, others you can’t. I guess the best option is to use pain as a sign and listen to it.

I am much better now, although currently suffering from a slight ankle problem, which isn’t helping.

I did 17km in the snow the weekend before last and loved it, and had few consequences afterwards. I think I picked up my ankle injury running to work last week, on a mixture of road, ice and snow, over a mere 2.75km :(.

richardk
    Free Member

Two things make my knees hurt
    1) Hills (down specifically)
    2) Cushioning shot on my running shoes

Not much you can do about 1) but I find that some offroad shoes don;t have enough cushioning for mixing firmer ground in with offroad slop

ianfitz
    Free Member

+1 to what Jamie said!

Consider your shoes too. Well worth going to a reliable running shop and having a gait analysis done. If near Sheffield accelerate are highly recommended.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well worth going to a reliable running shop and having a gait analysis done.

Or alternatively, using minimalist shoes….

…. which I will now put on to run far away from the blue touch paper 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

One of the best bits of advice I read when I started running was to use short strides when climbing or descending steeps hills. This A) maintains your centre of gravity better – more relevant to trail running; and B) puts less pressure on your quads and knees, helping to reduce strains and damage and also improving stamina.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m just getting back into the swing of runnning, doing about 35-45 mins on road steady pace, and after todays run noticed my knees were a bit sore (weekly try to do run sat, mon and weds).

interestingly, as running tends to be a get fit after xmas thing generally back off come later summer because i’m lazy and it hurts, had exactly the same last year.

cold knees was the issue, as soon as i put leggings no probs. and yes, this year so far running in shorts again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good point. Cold muscles are reluctant, and prone to injury.

Same goes for biking actually. It might be possible to go out in freezing conditions in shorts, and you might be comfortable, but when I started putting leggings on as a pre-emptive measure I found my warm legs worked much better than my cold ones.

seanoc
    Free Member

+1 for keeping the knees warm.

Up the cadence, work on your form, don’t run on an injury, stretch.

seanoc
    Free Member

I’ve found that if I alternate between trail and road I’ll avoid niggles….203 niggle free miles so far this year.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Runningtrackworld – is this just a MTFU moment’ is closed to new replies.