• This topic has 56 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Running your brakes t'other way round- experiences? (lefthanders?)
  • br
    Free Member

Do “Foreign” Motorbikes have the brakes the “Wrong” way around ?

No, the same way the LHD cars pedals are the same as RHD pedals.

Coyote
    Free Member

Made the switch after my first trip to Canada, just felt right to me. Last time I was over there the helpful guy in the rental place heard my accent and swapped the brakes over without asking. That was pretty scary. 🙂

fathomer

Hora, have a here about half way down the page for a how to:

PSA: XT M785 Brakes

Dales_rider
    Free Member

b r – Member

Do “Foreign” Motorbikes have the brakes the “Wrong” way around ?

No, the same way the LHD cars pedals are the same as RHD pedals.

So why the heck do they do it on bikes ?

The late great Sheldon had great knowledge on brakes.

1./ Skilled cyclists use the front brake alone probably 95% of the time
    So a skilled cyclist would never go over the bars from grabbing the brakes which were wrong way around, they’d just drag the back wheel.

2./ The theory that seems most probable to me is that the national standards arose from a concern that the cyclist be able to make hand signals, and still be able to reach the primary brake. This logical idea is, unfortunately, accompanied by the incorrect premise that the rear brake is the primary brake.

For this reason, I set my own bikes up so that the right hand controls the front brake, which is not the norm in the U.S.

I also do this because I’m right-handed, and wish to have my more skillful hand operate the more critical brake.

hora
    Free Member

Skilled cyclists use the front brake alone probably 95% of the time

Maybe time for me to experiment then. I’m very dominant with my lefthand- And I noticed that I drag/trail the rear brake alot (and use the rear brake alot more than I do the front).

As a offshoot/result I guess I ‘feel’ my brakes aren’t powerful enough.

Is this a fair thing to say? i.e. I’m braking WRONG. Time to experiment..

D0NK

I noticed that I drag/trail the rear brake alot

I do too but if I actually want to stop or slow down properly I’ll apply the front. Dragging the rear brake is crap technique/habit I’m afraid, quite often with me it’s not even having any slowing effect at all, something I’m trying to stop myself doing.

Solo
    Free Member

The road bike is set Euro stylee as I purchased it in France. Doesn’t make any difference to me. I’ve just replaced my rear brake cable. The first on that bike since new, some 12 yrs ago. The cable was rusty.
    😉
    MTB is set to Englandiashire and has DCLs fitted.

A spanner girl told me UK brakes are set as they are for right hand turn signal. Rear brake with left hand. Vice a versa for EuroShire.

I’ve got a Ti road build coming up later this year. I’m undecided which way round to set the brakes.

dibboid
    Free Member

I say leave them euro style and don’t tell anyone. Then if someone asks if they “can have a go” you then have god like Control of whether they go otb 😀 depends how much you like them. Haha mwuhahahaa 😈

atlaz
    Free Member

Last time I was over there the helpful guy in the rental place heard my accent and swapped the brakes over without asking. That was pretty scary

I had the same in Whistler. I had to take the bloody thing back after my first run.

parkesie
    Free Member

In uk when turning right across traffic waving right arm around in the air you brake with your left hand. The bike is easier to control with one hand while braking the rear wheel than it would be if braking the front.

thepodge
    Free Member

Road bike, Singlespeed & Mountain Bike rear brake on the left

Jump Bike & fixie rear brake on the right

Never had a problem remembering what is where

dibboid
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused here *prepares for flaming* I commute to work be it not far but I use a dual carriageway and obviously I signal my right turns going to work and coming home those rights becomes left signals. I don’t switch my levers over before leaving work and I’ve not gone otb yet. So should I not left signal in case I die? And to add some background I do this route 5 times per week in all weathers and have done for 8 years. Should I stop playing the odds now? 😕

parkesie
    Free Member

On a single carriage way you’d not normally signal and turn no need to slow for on coming traffic or stop in middle of the road. The whole left and right brake thing probably goes back before dual carriageways. Have a go at stoping a bike with one hand whilst turning see which one is easiest to control.

dibboid
    Free Member

My point is that I signal both ways regardless of ease. If I got knocked off my bike because of brake setup and lack of signals then I’d accept I was at fault same as in the car. Also I use single carriageway too. Maybe I just slow down enough to control it before I signal who knows. *flame suit on*

ndg
    Free Member

I noticed that I drag/trail the rear brake alot
    I do too but if I actually want to stop or slow down properly I’ll apply the front.

Dragging the rear brake is crap technique/habit I’m afraid, quite often with me it’s not even having any slowing effect at all, something I’m trying to stop myself doing.[/quote]

I do this too – definitely poor technique! I think I do it as it manipulate the rear suspension into a more stable feeling position on my antiquated filing cabinet 😉

I’m doing it less these days as I’ve started getting my body weight more forward on the bike downhill. This has come with increased confidence, and has led to more confidence in the front end.

hora
    Free Member

fathomer – Member
    Hora, have a here about half way down the page for a how to:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-xt-m785-brakes/page/6

Just spotted this- ta very much 🙂

They’ve landed- I only ordered them Tuesday from Germany 😯 so will give them a quick spin tonight euro-style

hora
    Free Member

I bloused out.. swapped but jesus the hoses are LONG

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Running your brakes t'other way round- experiences? (lefthanders?)’ is closed to new replies.