Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Running with Knee Osteoarthritis?
  • Caher

A few weeks ago the surgeon explained that the ache in my knee is Knee Osteoarthritis and one possible treatment is a partial rebuild which may work. I postponed their kind offer for the time being and was wondering if anyone has simliar and still runs? Cycling is not really an issue.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I can’t give you a definite answer because I’m not a Lower Limb Orthopaedic Consultant. But from seeing different patients a lot who have knee injuries and replacements also family members with osteoarthritis. They have stopped running, and took up swimming, walking and cycling. Low impact exercises.

I’d get some advice from your consultant or physio. Personally as someone who suffers from bad knees I’d say avoid running. But everyone is different.

stever
    Free Member

Not OA but genetic joint condition showing up in different places, including knees. Managing ok 10+ years – I run 90% offroad, don’t do much mileage and can get fit up to short ultra distances. If I do too much road or mileage (30-35+ a week) I start to get niggles. Funnily enough most recent inflammation was after 6h biking in the cold. Crikey, I dunno, we’re all different.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have the knees of a 90yr old 🙁 My right knee snapped the patella tendon which resulted in all manner of issues making the arthritis pretty much a slight niggle.

The left knee is the one which now gives the most grief. I have arthritis in this one and the consultant has carried out the arthroscopy (sp) etc but to no avail. I haven’t been able to carry out anything I would remotely call exercise for about 2yrs now and am carrying a lot more lumber than ever before.

Reason I replied to this thread is that there has finally been some clarification in matters. My dad has a knee replacement, my two brothers have knee issues. One brother had an operation that seemed pretty horrific a year or so ago. Funnily enough the consultant at this latest meeting brought up the same topic.

Its this op http://www.cumbriankneeclinic.co.uk/distal-femoral-osteotomy.html

Basically I have knock knees. When xrayed my hips are outside of my knee line and as such all the weight is put on the outside of my knees. It has resulted in the arthritis and everything else on the outside of my knee being worn away. A knee replacement has been mentioned but I am not even 40 yet.

Check out the op I am having. Its a bit extreme but as the consultant said. If they keep patching it up I am just going to need a full knee replacement sooner rather than later. This gives me a chance of a normal knee, admittedly with a bit of pain

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh and before the op they gave me the mother of all knee supports to wear for 2mths. It basically mimicks the operation to try to prove the op will be a success. You end up looking like Robocop but it takes all the weight bearing off the outside of your knee. They asked me how I found it and I basically said it stopped me doing anything so was counter productive. I still have the contraption if you would like me to put a picture of it up

oldboy
    Free Member

You have my sympathy, OP. I started with knee pain 10 years ago, after years of good club standard running. Arthroscopy didn’t help and I resorted to running only on level grass – lap after lap around the local school playing field – running was a drug and I needed my daily fix! Last year I had to stop doing even that as the pain became unbearable, and even walking is now painful. I have refused every offer of knee replacement, preferring to hang on to my own body parts, no-matter how decrepit! I wish you well, OP, but based on my own experience be prepared for disappointment. Having said all that, I can still cycle on fairly easy terrain, but my knees can’t handle tricky technical stuff anymore.

stever
    Free Member

Actually forget my post – my experience tells you almost nothing about yours 🙂
    Good luck.

Caher

Many thanks for the very good anecdotal advice. Love a run so might look for softer ground., seems a quicker way to get high than a bike ride or swim when you have limited time. Order to Amazon for some glucosamine and chonderin.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’d advise you to run if you want to, it’s unlike to do much harm. Just stop if it starts getting worse. Guidelines say aerobic and strengthening exercises.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Running with Knee Osteoarthritis?’ is closed to new replies.