• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nathb.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Running – what if any benefits for cycling?
  • Kryton57

I’m away from home, brought my gym kit with me but no gym here so I knocked out my first 5k for years before breakfast this morning.

I quite enjoyed it after the initial shock, will it help or hinder though?

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s not riding but better than nothing. Can be easy to pick up injuries though if you’ve not done much running but have the fitness to do a lot of miles.

Kryton57

I didn’t push hard, 31 mins for 5.2k whereas I was pushing 20:30 in my mid twenties,- it was more about dropping some cals while I’m at a few days of a conference.

My legs – naturally – fell a bit stiff. I’ll stick to a slow pace then, I’m racing again next Wednesday and don’t want to risk an injury.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What MrBlobby said, I used to quite enjoy it as a break from riding. Did tend to pick up a lot of injuries though.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve found running very beneficial lately to my general MTB fitness. The only problem is after years of MTB-ing and hardly any running my calfs and achilles tendons really suffer, especially on hills

Sam

I like it as a break and variety from riding. Definitely helps with general cardiovascular fitness and hits glutes and hamstrings in a way cycling doesn’t. You burn a lot of calories in a short time. I prefer running to riding when it’s wet too (looks out window, might run today…)

whitestone
    Free Member

Running, especially off-road, can help strengthen the secondary muscle groups that don’t get used much in cycling. Take it easy though if you haven’t done much (or any) running for a while.

thenorthwind

I know I for one don’t do enough weight-bearing exercise as I ride everywhere, so a bit of running is good for the joints. Doesn’t mean I do it though, can’t stand running.

Kryton57

You burn a lot of calories in a short time.

Strava – without an HRM – showed 500 cals in 31 mins, I assume it was overestimating.

Dang, I could have had a bigger breakfast…

fergal
    Free Member

Running or even fast paced walking up steep hills makes a huge difference, stronger legs certainly helps with climbing steep hills, in the deepest darkest depths of winter, i do this regularly and feel fine when i get back on the MTB.

saxabar
    Free Member

Definitely strengthens parts cycling doesn’t reach. I find it helps with technique on the bike too as I “run” up hills and hold a fast cadence on the roady.

I really enjoy it too, particularly out in the mountains with old rave tunes on the iPod.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Take it easy, make sure your shoes fit well.

I trail run in the woods when home and around Greenwich Park when in Town (because I hate cycling in Town)

Just don’t overdo it, you could run the risk of injury and it’ll set you back a few weeks at the least.

nickc

It’s about 100kcals a mile (average bloke)

ahwiles
    Free Member

anecdote alert:

when i’m run-fit, i also feel pretty good on the bike.

when i’m bike-fit, that’s no guarantee that i could even run round the block.

tis now summer fell-race season, happy times!

M6TTF
    Free Member

ran my first half marathon in 12 years last month. Noticeable difference in my riding fitness since. going to try and keep it up

crispyrice

Im overweight, still can ride my bike quiet well, running sounds like a good idea to shed some poundage. I have literally never run other than to catch a train, where do I start? Try and jog a mile at a slow pace?

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s about 100kcals a mile (average bloke)

Always worked on 1Kcal/Kg/Km. So if you weigh 80Kg then it’s 80Kcal per kilometre

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

It’s better exercise time for time than a bike (I believe).
    It’s simpler (shoes on, run. No faffing / mechanicals etc)
    It’s harder on the body
    It’s better for my head health.
    It’s not that much less ‘good’ in rubbish weather. As long as you’re warm enough…
    It’s quicker than mountain biking in a lot of places.

I’m a runner who bikes more now due to 35 years of fell running / orienteering taking its toll on my body.

Running ticks 99% of all the boxes for me.
    Cycling ticks maybe 75%. And I do like shiny things. Just so bloody expensive.

ahwiles
    Free Member

crispyrice – Member
    Im overweight, still can ride my bike quiet well, running sounds like a good idea to shed some poundage. I have literally never run other than to catch a train, where do I start? Try and jog a mile at a slow pace?

as above, it’ll burn about 100 calories / mile, it’s easier to just not eat those calories in the first place.

but if you must:

drive somewhere nice, walk away from your car for 10 minutes, run/walk back – mixing it up as your body dictates.

see your feet/ankles/legs/hips/pelvis feel over the next 48 hours, build from there.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

where do I start? Try and jog a mile at a slow pace?

be careful as running slowly can put more stress/impact on joints.

You would be better to start by walking briskly and then attempting a sprint for 50 paces, gasp a bit, then repeat. When you run a bit better then switch to jogging 100 paces, then sprint 50.

Be careful of running junk miles…

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s better exercise time for time than a bike (I believe).

This hugely depend on what you are trying to achieve.

nathb
    Free Member

I found that running benefited my hill climbing out of the saddle, but not general cycling. I only started running over winter as I only had a “best” road bike that I didn’t like to use in the rain.

I proved this to myself as I went all out on a 5k park run (21 mins 😆 ), knackering my legs to the point it was painful to walk. But then got on a bike and rode 40 miles without any discomfort other than hill climbing (out of the saddle).

I started running by jogging for a mile, it would hurt for a couple of days, then I’d go out and do it again. After 2 or 3 times I was able to jog for 5k easily. Then I just started increasing the pace, 10k came quite easily after that.

Unfortunately I can’t run at the moment because of a stomach issue, well at the pace I want to, but I now have an all weather road bike. Good luck!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Running – what if any benefits for cycling?’ is closed to new replies.