Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Running- stretches and shoes
  • rolfharris
    Free Member

I've been running for 2 years or so now. I use New Balance 240 xc running shoes- they're really low profile, really light and suit how I run well.

However, they're knackered now and they don't seem to make them anymore. I was wondering what alternatives there are- I don't want big clompy things. They're for running in really shitty conditions- I seem to run most when the weather's worst and the grounds filthiest, so I like the fact that the 240s had little spikes in them for grip. I wouldn't mind something with a little more cushioning now, though as I've upped my runs from 30 minutes to 1-1.5 hours.

Also, I seem to be having problems with my calves, mostly my left one. They're just a bit tight and it's as if I've not stretched, even though I have. Are there any good stretches that I could try out, for my whole legs but especially the calves.

iDave
    Free Member

I use inov-8 roclites and can highly recommend them

crikey
    Free Member

Adidas swoop.

twohats
    Free Member

Are you funding the new shoes with the top cap money?

iDave
    Free Member

TKMAX often have trail/adventure racing shoes on discount

rolfharris
    Free Member

Roclites look a bit too big and chunky, but the swoops look perfect.

uplink
    Free Member
    iDave
    Free Member

Have a look at the x-talon or f-lites then?

jimmy

Just bought some NB all terrain running shoes from their outlet in Keswick – much cheapness. Similar to these;

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lukey pop along to next generation gym in monifieth next to dobies on a bicycle ride – they have a cracking running shop in there with really knowledgable staff. Plenty different styles and brands and will sell you what suits not what is most expensive!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Dobies garden centre? Think I'm going past there this weekend. We've got a running shop across from work and we sell them all their bikes, though, so might be able to get something off them once I know the sort of thing I want.

HTTP404
    Free Member

They're just a bit tight and it's as if I've not stretched, even though I have. Are there any good stretches that I could try out, for my whole legs but especially the calves.

I avoid static stretching before a run. And just do a proper warm-up.

Off-road running has also aggravated my achilles. You might also want to try running on flat and even surfaces to see if it alleviates your problem.

nicko74

I know you'll know this, but it is worth checking with your local running shop about shoes. Not all shoes are built the same, and, for example, I find that many rub on my big toe. Buy online if you want, but check them out in the flesh first! Plus the shop should be able to recommend some you haven't thought of, too.

As for stretches, I find standing on the edge of a step will help with stretching the calf – before and after running. Do it slowly and carefully, as you don't want to damage the muscle, but it's a start. Afterwards, you can also use a rolly thing to really get into the knots in the calf and ease it out. Well worth doing IMO, as tight calves can lead to shinsplints and/ or achilles problems.

IanMunro
    Free Member
    MrGrim

What kind of terrain are you running on? If it's road running go for a road shoe, if it's trail running go for an trail/XC shoe, or if it's fell/hill running, go for a fell shoe.

I would class your NB's as trail shoes, whereas the swoops above are more fell/hill shoes and won't offer the support that trail or road shoes will.

Run4it are pretty good and have shops in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Achilles Heel are also good guys.

There's a place in Cupar as well, but I've never been in, just driven past.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I run straight out of the door and run half the time (with others) along gravel and flat muddy singletrack, but when I go out on my own I run along the coastal path or along the slippiest filthiest trails I can find to keep me interested and grip is massively important, but I run for about 5-10 minutes per run on the road so a bit of give would be nice. When I'm at home I go out on the moors with them.

I was looking at Walsh shoes too. They look pretty good value, but perhaps overkill?

I work opposite Kingdom Runner and will be popping in to see what they've got that suits. We sell Asics ones at work too, but they don't work for me.

Strangely, my calves hurt more when I run more on the flat and roads.

Smee
    Free Member

get someone to stretch you calf and hold it there while you try and contract it – do that for 30 seconds and see if that helps. stop if it hurts lots though.

surfer
    Free Member

I avoid static stretching before a run. And just do a proper warm-up.

Good advice, only stretch post run.

Smee
    Free Member

Crap advice.

surfer
    Free Member

Goan you could always go and read the evidence. Would you like some references?

get someone to stretch you calf and hold it there while you try and contract it – do that for 30 seconds and see if that helps. stop if it hurts lots though.

Bit lame having to enlist help isnt it, bit like err attention seeking really!

rolfharris
    Free Member

I think the girl I run with is creeped out by me enough without having to hold my calves. Which are excellent, by the way…

trail_rat
    Free Member

after several physios had there(expensive) go at my achillies goans advice above sorted mine out in about 45 seconds …..Ive had shit all year from this achillies. Wouldnt write it off just yet 😉

Smee
    Free Member

Go read the evidence on PNF stretching then come back an tell me it's lame…..

nonk
    Free Member

left calf thing could be the camber on the road?
    dunno about you but i notice it in my ankle.

surfer
    Free Member

Go read the evidence on PNF stretching then come back an tell me it's lame…..

No thanks, however I didnt say it was lame. I agreed with the above poster who recommended post run stretching. You said it was "crap advice" a stupid thing to say given the significant evidence around that proves it increases the chance of injury rather than reduces it.
    There is even evidence to indicate that stretching per se is harmful, PNF or not. Stretching cold muscles is potentially harmful and PNF stretching is little different to any other stretching that doesnt require an audience.
    There are countless ways to provide resistance.
    Why is "post run" stretching "crap advice"?

nonk
    Free Member

surfer what about static after you have had a lie in the bath?(with hot water in it aswell)

Smee
    Free Member

Blows a big sloppy kiss in the direction of surfer.

There is no real consensus on when to stretch – only if it works keep doing it and if it doesn't then you need to change it.

Explain how to do PNF properly without a second person or expensive equipment.

surfer
    Free Member

surfer what about static after you have had a lie in the bath?(with hot water in it aswell)

It depends what you are stretching. If its an achilles then I wouldnt stretch at all unless it was fully mobile, even if the muscles surrounding it are warm.
    If you have an injury that needs stretching, like a calf then make sure it is mobile, even walking briskly etc then stretching, but very gently. If it is too injured to be "warmed" in this way it probably should be rested and even iced.

Smee
    Free Member

Surfer you do realise that you are talking pish don't you?

nonk
    Free Member

sketchy right psoas to be exact chap. i geuss static after a ride then.

surfer
    Free Member

Explain how to do PNF properly without a second person or expensive equipment.

The one you described above can be done with a step.

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer you do realise that you are talking pish don't you?

I have asked you why it was "crap advice" and you have refused to answer.

Now how am I "taking the piss"?

Smee
    Free Member

No it cant. You would end up lifting your body. You dont have a clue what pnf is do you?

I have explained why it is crap advice up there.

And as for where you start slevering about doing stuff in the bath thats just gibberish – the physio next to me says so.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Guys, it's not that important. Step away from the internet.

surfer
    Free Member

Why would lifting your body be a problem? That is what the calf does you know.

Thats 3 questions now.

surfer
    Free Member

And as for where you start slevering about doing stuff in the bath thats just gibberish – the physio next to me says so

I didnt mention the bath.

Smee
    Free Member

Erm – because the joint needs to stay still for this type of stretch to work.

surfer
    Free Member

The calf doesnt have a joint, ask your physio!

Smee
    Free Member

It depends what you are stretching. If its an achilles then I wouldnt stretch at all unless it was fully mobile, even if the muscles surrounding it are warm.
    If you have an injury that needs stretching, like a calf then make sure it is mobile, even walking briskly etc then stretching, but very gently. If it is too injured to be "warmed" in this way it probably should be rested and even iced.

That bit is utter nonsense.

Calf has two joints – the knee and the ankle…

nonk
    Free Member

its me that like to strech in the bath and tell your physio that he/she is wrong cos it works for me. how do iknow? cos oddly its my body.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Running- stretches and shoes’ is closed to new replies.