Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Running Stans rims tubeless
  • bgd
    Free Member

A riding buddy has 650b Flow rims and wants to go tubeless. Can anyone tell me if he needs just the yellow tape and valves or the complete Flow rim strip.

Cheers

sofaboy73
    Free Member

yellow tape, vales and fluid

Leku
    Free Member

Tape and valve here.

Usually use Stans but Superstar stuff also works well and is cheaper. Trick is to pull the tape really hard as you fit it so it follows the concours of the rim.

Use a splash of Stans sealant as well.

bgd
    Free Member

Great stuff, thanks

nedrapier

how many ml in a splash?

drovercycles
    Free Member

60ml in the little Stans bottles which they say does one wheel. We usually use a touch more than that in a high-volume tyre if you want to be confident of holes being sealed. You can use a bit less if you’re a weight-weenie.

Dango
    Free Member

I’ve used 1″/25mm gorilla tape (duck/duct tape) on both my sets, wound once, no issues and cheap <£3 per roll

ssboggy

Tesa 4289 tape off ebay is the same as Stans tape but you get a lot more for your money,

Can anyone tell me if he needs just the yellow tape and valves or the complete Flow rim strip.

Might need tyres as well 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If he has tubeless tyres, the yellow tape will be fine. If his tyres aren’t tubeless, the yellow tape will still do the job, but he may be more prone to tyre burps, and the rim strip will help greatly with this.

dustytrails

ssboggy…..good call on the Tessa tape….was about to order some stans for converting another set of rims to tubeless..10 quid for 66 metres….superb!!

nedrapier

Does that Tesa tape come in wider widths? Edit: yes.

Do you need to wrap a couple more times, or enough to cover the holes? Only done wall-to-wall with ripped-to-width gorilla tape.

Guess it depends on the fit of the tyre bead on the rim shelf?

dirtydog
    Free Member

@nedrapier With Stans tape on stans rims one wrap does it.

Will be looking into that tesa tape, @ssboggy nice one.

ssboggy

If you do a search there’s a few threads about the tesa tape, if anything it does seem very slightly thinner than the stans tape but it works exactly the same.
    I’ve tried gorilla tape too and while it does work it can move and it’s a absolute arse to remove it at a later date.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Running Stans rims tubeless’ is closed to new replies.