Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Running singlespeed with rear mech in place? [INBRED]
  • 2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

Can I run singlespeed with the rear mech still in place, or has it got to come off?
    It's a slot dropout inbred, so tensioning isn't a prob, but does the mech get in the way?
    I've two rear wheel and would like to easily swap them round

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think you would be OK, whether you run the chain through it or not (presuming its not a seperate 1/8 chain).

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume you would be ok as well but have never tried either.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

why bother with singlespeed then, why not keep to one rear wheel?

tazzymtb

if you have a single speed specific rear wheel then you may have problems as the rear mech may not have the same chain line as the rear cog. If it's a normal rear wheel with spacers+cog set up you may be ok. Why not just have a single speed and ditch all the weighty geary crud?

HTTP404
    Free Member

you may not get enough chain tension, you may be dropping the chain a bit.
    chain size may be an issue as well since most sprockets run on 3/32 or 1/8???

scaredypants

I reckon you'll be fine – should be able to use shifters to pull the mech away from chainline ?

(to be honest, you might as well just stay in 1 gear using the mech since you're not losing any stuff off the bike, or am I missing something ?)

BigJohn

Your biggest problem will be with the chain skipping. I'm assuming you mean take out 9 speed wheel, replace it with wheel with 1 sprocket. Singlespeed sprockets get horribly hooked and a slipping chain on a singlespeed tends to result in a stem shaped hole in your knee.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Running singlespeed with rear mech in place? [INBRED]’ is closed to new replies.