Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Running Shoes – Flat Feet
  • sammaratti
    Free Member

Hi all,

I was hoping somebody could recommend me some running shoes for flat feet.

I get pains in the outside of my knees when running and also in my metatarsals which I believe is caused by flat feet.

I would like to keep the cost under £100 and preferably around the £60 mark. I am not too fussed about how fashionable they are either.

Thanks all

somouk
    Free Member

Best to seek proper advice from a running shop so you can try them on.

sammaratti
    Free Member

I had my running style analysed a few years ago in a nike running shop and they recommended me some nike lunar eclipses.

Was kind of hoping I could order a pair online without having to go into town.

Flaperon

Is running gait analysis really that helpful? Try on loads and see which feel most comfortable is my approach.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Err – you can! http://www.sportsshoes.com/nike-lunareclipse/

Gait analysis is useful yes. It helps you buy a trainer which is designed to work best taking into account the way your feet strike the floor whilst running, which is usually different to how your feet move around/strike the floow when walk.
    If you buy the wrong type (like i’ve just done with my trail trainers!), you can end up with sore feet, painful arches, and a whole host of other ailments, etc..

hairyscary

Flat and wide feet here and suffered all sorts of pains when running. Did the gait analysis thing and now have no issues at all.
    Ended up with a pair of Ascics GT1000 (I think. I’m at work)

codybrennan
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d bother with running shoe shops as a first step if you’re hitting this issue. First, find a good local orthotist, get them to sort you out, then choose the shoes. You may have more issues going on than the shop will pick up.

I had an old left ankle injury that I thought had fully healed, but found a while back that any distance over 13 or so miles brought the pain back. Running shoe shop was helpful with gait analysis and recommended a supportive shoe, which helped a bit.

But the pain got worse, despite the shoe. The local orthotist did a full gait analysis, and a bunch of other tests, and my left arch is pretty much collapsed: no shoe on the planet will help with this. So, I’ve now got insoles to wear (partly custom-made) which have really done the trick. Unfortunately, I need to wear them all the time, in all shoes.

I’m not saying the shop wouldn’t have picked this up of course- they might have done. But the orthotist does this all day every day.

Pieface

Shoes can help but its what’s going on above the foot thats most important, most likely your glutes and stabilising core muscles that have a biggest impact on knee pain.

A good running shop is a must, some are better than others. Whereabouts are you?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I had some really bad knee issues, but I found some really useful stretches to do, and worked on stability and the fine muscles and it has improved, I no longer have knee pain.

I found a mix of stretches and a wobble board helped (can be found on physio room) Doing one legged squats and standing squats on the board helped. Along with stretching the glutes and the ITB. Plus find a good sports massage!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Running Shoes – Flat Feet’ is closed to new replies.