Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • running shoes advice
  • mollski
    Free Member

just started running the last month and ive got the bug,anybody on here run?can you tell me a good pair of running shoes to get please thanks

iDave
    Free Member

go to a running shoe shop and show them your feet

Cougar

If they ask to see your willy instead, you’re in the wrong shop.

(rookie mistake, that)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Try a few pairs on, buy ones that feel comfortable. Don’t get suckered in to all that gait/video/pronation crap.

TatWink
    Free Member

Yep go to a running shop and get assessed.

Ive just got back into running and this very week I went into Sweatshop and got videoed running on a treadmill. Now I ve always needed support shoes as I moderately pronate or so I thought. Turns out I massively pronate. The shop suggested two appropriate shoes for my running style and purchased a pair of Nike zoom structures and can honestly say they are by far the most comfortable running shoes i have ever had.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I’d love to be able to jog properly unfortunately for me I run like Phoebe off Friends….. plus there’s the whole two black eyes thing for women without the right gear, men don’t have this issue with their ‘moobs’ or do they? Have you sorted a decent bra out too?

Cougar

Au contraire. For gentlemen, correct undergarments are important in order to prevent, ah, “bounce” when running.

cxi
    Free Member

Indeed – chaffing can be very unpleasent! Not to mention runners nipple 😥

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I didn’t figure in the bounce problem…. apologies extended Sir!

Cougar

It’s not the nipples you need to worry about. Jogging in Blackpool Tower underpants can leave you feeling somewhat bruised.

sofatester
    Free Member

HiTec Silver Shadows – £20

It’s not the trainer, is the physical conditioning of the runner that counts and how it is developed over the weeks, months and years.

rewski
    Free Member

Avoid Nike and Adidas – sh1te, try Brookes, Ascis or NB, proper running shoes. More important to warm down than up. And give fartlek training a go, will improve your stamina no end, enter some runs, start with 10k and work up.

Ignore mastiles, get an expert to watch you run, too much comfort and not enough support can lead to spine and knee injury.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Fartlek is that the walking with sticks I’ve seen?

rewski
    Free Member

No that’s Norwegian trekking I think, Fartlek is a workout at different speeds and durations – google it.

cxi
    Free Member

Avoid Nike and Adidas – sh1te, try Brookes, Ascis or NB, proper running shoes

You forgot IMHO in there 😉

Horses for courses for trainers. I get on mighty fine with my Nike Triax running shoes, my misses currently has Rebooks and her sister finds Adidas are good for her.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Avoid Nike and Adidas – sh1te

Rubbish.

Depends entirely on what you want and what foot structure you have.

I was gait analysed a while ago but didn’t really get on with the shoes I bought as a result – for some reason I run differently on a treadmill.

I now do all my road running in racing flats – Adidas Adizero Adios and they’re perfect for me. I have relatively narrow feet.

Off-road is much better and I wear Inov-8 Roclites and X-talons.

finbar
    Free Member

Avoid Nike and Adidas – sh1te

And you’ve based that opinion on…..? Most brands market low end/fashion stuff, it doesn’t mean their proper shoes aren’t any good.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Go to a running specific shop where they know their stuff.

Personally, Nikes feel by far the best for me, had some old Sauconys before and the difference was unreal. (Not that Saucony are bad, just didn’t work for me).

willard

Saucony’s are good (or at least my pair is/was), but I have a feeling I’ve killed them. They’ve only done 3 10k races (well, and the assorted prep over two years, and they’ll do another 10k on Sunday)

Very comfy though.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Tat Wink – Member
    Yep go to a running shop and get assessed.

Ive just got back into running and this very week I went into Sweatshop and got videoed running on a treadmill. Now I ve always needed support shoes as I moderately pronate or so I thought. Turns out I massively pronate. The shop suggested two appropriate shoes for my running style and purchased a pair of Nike zoom structures and can honestly say they are by far the most comfortable running shoes i have ever had

+1, plus they will do a 30 day no quibble exchange and 10% off for ‘Park-runners’

I don’t work there, but the service I got in their Manchester Arndale branch was fantastic and I have never had shoes as comfortable.

Matt

Gunz
    Free Member

The good running shops I’ve found have chosen my shoes for me depending on an extensive assessment. For example (Alexandra Sports in Portsmouth, the best I have found) spent 20 minutes looking at my bare feet standing upright whilst wriggling them in different directions and then a good half hour watching me run in different shoes. At no point was I asked which ones I liked as aesthetics are irrelevent.
    Now enter an event, follow a proper programme (Runner’s World site has some good ones) and don’t be tempted to miss out the interval training!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Buy some red ones if you want speed, black ones if you want stealth, or comfy ones if you want comfort. But forget all that gait crap, it’s a sales gimmick.

emsz
    Free Member

plus there’s the whole two black eyes thing for women without the right gear, men don’t have this issue with their ‘moobs’ or do they? Have you sorted a decent bra out too?

Not a problem. 😥

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ianmunro – glad there is someone if same belief as me. It cost me the arse-end of £100 to realise that it was bollocks and went back to running in my £20 cheapos I bought off the interweb.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I know a couple of reasonably good club runners and they just find a brand that fits them and run in them. Neither of them have ever done any of this analysis rubbish. They just buy cheapish trainers approx £30-£50 and change them regularly because of the amount of miles they do. These are guys who have come 2 UK male in London marathon or often come top 15 in half marathons.

Personaly saucony fit my feet and good ones can be had for £35 and I didn’t gave to be videoed to find that out.

surfer
    Free Member

Avoid Nike and Adidas –

Rubbish.

just find a brand that fits them and run in them. Neither of them have ever done any of this analysis rubbish. They just buy cheapish trainers approx £30-£50 and change them regularly because of the amount of miles they do

Good advice. Having shoes in good condition and changing them regularly is more important than having a very expensive pair and running in them when they are past their shelf life. Find ones you like and when they wear out find them on the net when the colourway has changed and they are half price!

rewski
    Free Member

You forgot IMHO in there

No I didn’t, in my experience maybe, but the guys after advice for good running shoes, I’ve been through plenty and I tell you what, for the money adidas and nike are very poor, if you run on a regular basis you’ll find they last 6 months if that, let’s face it they’re more interested in fashion and gimmicky product link ups with the likes of Apple than basic running needs, like stability and durability.

Do you still think Rubbish? Maybe it’s you that forget IMHO.

emsz
    Free Member

rewski, I use nike, mine were £30.00 at Sports Direct. very comfy and not worn out yet.

did 17k in them today, pretty durable if you ask me.

rewski
    Free Member

emsz – how long have you had them and how many miles are you doing each week?

emsz
    Free Member

Got them in November-ish, do anything from nothing to 30km a week.

Taff
    Free Member

Got two local running shops and one will video you , check your pronation and advise you on the correct trainer for you. They’re really good because of their aftersales ie they will let you take the trainer back for a refund / different trainer if you have problems.

I’m using some Nike Shox at the moment but that doesn’t mean that all Nikes will be comfortable for me. I quite like some of the Asics but would rather buy them from an online shop after trying them out in a running shop [check out Next – offers section].

My Nikes aren’t great after 6miles and my feet get quite uncomfortable and I will more than likely end up with blisters but I’ve just got some Karrimor running socks from Sports Direct and they are helping no end

rewski
    Free Member

emsz – you might get another month out of them then 😉

Seriously though, if you’re running that sort of distance weekly you probably need to change them often anyway, especially if you road run.

surfer
    Free Member

for the money adidas and nike are very poor, if you run on a regular basis you’ll find they last 6 months if that

Nike Pegasus are one of the best general neutral running shoes on the market. They have been for a very long time and it would appear that millions of people agree with that. I run about 40 – 5o mpw however in my younger days between 70 – 80. During that period no shoes would last 6 months!!
    It sounds like you have little experience however dont put the OP off from buying IMO shoes from one of the best manufacturers in the world.

Maybe this pair of losers need your advice!!

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

From a fairly new runner who has tried pronating/normal/cheap/expensive shoes, do yourself a favour: Nike Lunar Eclipse. On the pricey side but absolutely brilliant.
    Beware. Every ‘expert’ running shop gave me different advice about size and gait. It’s all opinion.

rewski
    Free Member

Maybe this pair of losers need your advice!!

Lord Coe might, he can barely walk now.

It sounds like you have little experience

It sounds like you’ve got misguided brand loyalty.

roper
    Free Member

surfer
    Free Member

As the only man to retain the Olympic 1500m title and with a string of World records (some of which still stand) I suspect he knew what he was doing and actually he still runs regulalrly, I for one would not challenge him even now! Not sure why you think he “can barely walk”

I dont have any brand loyalty. I have a pair of Nikes and a pair of Asics on the go, as well as two pairs of Inov8’s and some older Saucony which I will bin soon.
    The point is that you should not be giving bad advice based on a sample of 1!

molgrips
    Free Member

I really fancy Nike Free.

surfer
    Free Member

Whoops!!!

finbar
    Free Member

Paula Radcliffe set the women’s marathon world record in Nikes. Haile Gebrselassie set the men’s record in Adidas.

I know shoes don’t maketh the runner, but they’d hardly be willing to race in “sh1te” shoes would they rewski?

(by the way, my last three pairs have all been Saucony)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘running shoes advice’ is closed to new replies.