• This topic has 91 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by deft.
Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Running on your toes
  • HTTP404
    Free Member

If you've body's spent most of it's life running in a different way it's going to take a long time to adjust

I switched to more of a mid-foot strike (maybe when I run fast enough I can have a forefoot one 🙂 ). This change means the placement of your foot also changes. The position of the strike feels like it is directly below / slightly behind your backside. It took a couple of weeks for the change over. There was no added stress / aches / pains but then again I'm not training for a marathon. I would have thought it not a good time to change over or try if you are about to do one.

epicyclo

This is fascinating.

In my youth I used to run long distances barefoot, so I was running on my toes. When I started using running shoes, they were basically a very thin leather sole and lightweight upper. Again, on my toes.

I stopped running for a while, and when I picked it up again, the modern running shoe was the hot thing, so I went along with that. My normal run was about 6-10 miles offroad and the shoes forced a heelstrike method which by then, I believed was the correct way to run. Unfortunately I have flat feet, so after 12 years of running heelstrike, I gradually gave up because of foot pain in the mornings.

In retrospect, it's obvious our bodies are designed for toe first because early man didn't have thickly padded shoes, and running heelstrike on hard surfaces is painful very quickly.

I'm all fired up to running another go – so what shoes for toefirst running?

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, i like my asics onitsuka tigers…

(remove and replace the stupid lumpy insole first)

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm all fired up to running another go – so what shoes for toefirst running?

In approximate order of thickness (thinnest first) is something like
    Feelmax Pankas/Niesa
    Vibram fivefinger sprints, KSOs
    Feelmax Osoma
    Terra Plana EVO – yet to be realised.
    Vibram fivefinger KSOs treks and the yet to be relased bikila
    Then conventional thin racing shoes like Mizuno Wave Universe 3

Or if you want something reasonably priced, then a pair of 5 quid neoprene water/aqua shoes are pretty minimal.

jond
    Free Member

I haven't run any distance for years 'cos of ropey knees/missing cartiliage – but a noticed a few years ago after moving near to a station I was tending to use my forefoot when legging it for the train, to save my knees a bit.
    I still haven't bought any, but there's some sizing info on the 5finger things here:

http://www.begin2dig.com/2008/11/fitting-vibram-five-fingers-and-injinji.html

http://www.colinseymour.co.uk/sizing-vibram-five-fingers

http://www.keith-in-training.com/2008/03/vibram-fivefingers-ksos-part-i.html

And mebbe some useful info/outlets around London:
    http://www.funckey.co.uk/forums/topic/1464-buying-vibram-five-fingers-and-weightlifting-shoes-in-london/
    http://www.funckey.co.uk/forums/topic/1133-vibram-five-fingers/

greenboy
    Free Member

Changing your running gait is a lengthy process and if tried 'overnight' will bring more problems than solutions. The reason for this is that your body (tendons, ligamants, muscles)have adapted to running in your 'normal' way and if you alter this significantly either by changing your cadence, length of gait or adopt a new way of running problems will begin.
    Remember to change things slowly and over time (can be as much as 12-24 months) for complete adaptation…..there is no quick fix!
    If you are having problems then see a podiatrist who may be able to help and/or get some new running shoes that suit your gait, remember also running shoes are only good for 350-500 miles!.

molgrips
    Free Member

Changing your running gait is a lengthy process and if tried 'overnight' will bring more problems than solutions.

I'm sure you're probably right but for me, my current running gait is the problem. I'm a fit biker, I can do Cwmcarn in 56 minutes but I can't run two miles in less than 18 minutes. Distance running for me really is terribly uncomfortable and a thoroughly miserable experience..

So I'll try doing 20 mins on toes tomorrow and I'll report back 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, try 10.

it's a big change, don't get too ambitious too early.

(i'm the opposite to you, i'd say i'm a natural runner; put me on a bike and my legs just stop working)

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I am really interested in the Vibram Five Fingers idea. I had a foot operation in November, so I had to wear Birkenstock sandals since then and my feet have widened and spread. I'm not a runner, but would be interested to wear them for normal day to day use. I like being barefoot.

I find my 5.10s really big and clumpy now, and while the grip is great, I wish I had more feel of the pedals like I used to with thinner soled skate shoes. Anyone think the VFFs would be good riding on flat pedals?

nickc

hmmmmmm, paid attention to it tonight on my usual 10k, turns out I'm a natural forefoot runner. I use a pretty bog standard pair of Nike Air, so it's definitely possible. Perhaps it explains why I don't get running injuries?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a few pairs of five fingers and love them, never had more comfortable footwear.

People laugh and point though – be prepared. Don't think they are thick enough for flats TBH sole is a couple of mm thick at best

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Running on your toes’ is closed to new replies.