Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • running None-UST tyres tubeless o UST rims
  • stooo
    Free Member

I know lots of folk use ghetto tubeless setups or std tyres on Stans rims. I’m running UST Mavic 819 rims but looking at tyre options and wondering if other (none UST) tyres work with a bit of Stans milk in there.

Specifically, I like the look of Conti Rubber Queens and Maxxis Aspen, Crossmax and Ardents… I’ve heard good stuff about the EXO sidewall maxxis tyres.

Any experiences on what works and what really doesn’t?

Cheers

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve been able to run the following non-UST tyres on my 819’s.

Schwalbe 2.35 Fat Alberts with Snakeskin sidewalls (they were much easier to fit than the UST version)
    Schwalbe Big Bettys
    Maxxis 2.35 High Roller dual ply
    Maxxis 2.5 High roller dual ply (worked without milk)

I’m currently running a 2.4 UST Rubber queen on a Stans Flow rim and that needs a bit of milk to stay inflated otherwise it’s flat in a couple of days. Not tried it yet on the 819’s. A friend is successfully running non-UST Queens tubeless on Flow rims so I suspect they will also work on 819’s with milk.

mboy
    Free Member

Got a Fat Albert that’s non UST (though it is the Snakeskin sidewalled version that’s tubeless ready) on the rear of my Maverick on an 819, and it sealed ok in the end after a fair bit of track pump action.

Other non UST tyres I’ve tried have failed to seal on an 819 without the use of a Stan’s Olympic Strip. Buy yourself a couple of Stans strips though, and you’ll be able to run any tyre you want on them tubeless, as it’s the fact that non UST tyres don’t have as tight a bead as UST ones, and the strip makes up for this.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I wanted to run new X-King Protections on my 819s, but no luck. Even with a good helping of Stans they still leaked enough air to go flat in a few hours.

Edit: Haven’t tried them with a Stan’s strip, but then I feel that kinda defeats the object of UST…

mbydmt
    Free Member

I’ve ran non-ust Continental Rubber Queens tubeless happily on 823rims and 321 rims.

mboy
    Free Member

Edit: Haven’t tried them with a Stan’s strip, but then I feel that kinda defeats the object of UST…

Yeah totally, so buy UST tyres then!

UST rims are designed to work with UST tyres, the fact that they may (or may not) work with any normal tyres is totally coincidental…

stooo
    Free Member

I’ve been using Maxxis LUST tyres previously, but not been that impressed with the sidewalls. Not sure what the Conti UST tyres are like.

Hadn’t thought of using rims trips with the 819s. I use them on my set of 521s and they’ve worked well…. might investigate that. Olympic strips for 819s you reckon?

scruff
    Free Member

Bonty TLR tyres are great.

SamB
    Free Member

Yeah totally, so buy UST tyres then!

UST rims are designed to work with UST tyres, the fact that they may (or may not) work with any normal tyres is totally coincidental…

I’ve always wondered why people don’t just use UST tyres and have a happy hassle-free experience. Is it just trying to drop some more weight or lack of tyre options (e.g. you can’t get a Maxxis 3C tyre in UST 🙁 )?

tonyd

For me it’s because I’ve recently gone to UST wheels and have a garage full of part-worn standard tyres!

mightymarmite
    Free Member

If your looking at the Conti range, look for the RS versions, they are advertised as being “UST ready”.

It took a while but I’ve recently set a pair of X-Kings on a set of 819’s. While it wasn’t straight forward, they are half the weight of the Panaracer fire UST’s they replaced.

Key for me was to scuff up the insides with a nylon scouring pad before fitting. Get them to seat (eventually) then put a whole load of stains in (I put a good 500mls in each wheel) spin them, then leave them on their sides on top of a bucket, spin them some more … and repeat for several hours. Eventually the pores in the sidewalls will seal (bath test).

Once sealed used the Stans syringe to remove all the milk, and then I put 40mls back in. Have run them for a few weeks now, and top up 1-2 psi each week.

Next challenge is a set of Race king SS’s on a set of Crests 🙂

stooo
    Free Member

For me – I much prefer a nice hassle free full UST (tyres and rims) setup, but sometimes there isn’t the same choice of tyre compound or sidewall tech.

Lots of good tips and experiences here though. Will report back on any of mine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘running None-UST tyres tubeless o UST rims’ is closed to new replies.