Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Running-muscle stretches
  • tomzo
    Free Member

Just started running again, hadn’t been on a proper run for about 2 years. Anyway, for the last two days, I’ve gone for about a 30 min run, doing about 3 miles. Got home, bit tired and legs abit sore (mainly quadriceps and back of my calfs, aswell as the sort of hip/very top of the side of my thighs?? shins are a wee bit ore at odd angles aswell) and have put it down to inactivity/working of msucles that are unused, but I decided not to go for a run today, as my legs are still pretty sore, and make me walk with a funny limp! However, a light jog/run seems to make the pain go away?

So if anyone has any advice on if this is normal, or can recommend some stretches that’d be great! Cheers

willyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a streching book by Bob Anderson and i’d throughly recommend it -I think this is the new version of the book i have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stretching-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070226

Its got everything from all sorts of exercises to everyday bad backs etc. Its all split up in short routines and is very easy to follow.

Ewan
    Free Member

Do some ITB streches. It’s hard to relieve the tension in that area, probably what the hip side of thigh pain is.

jimmy

Or just look at the relevant section in that Bob Anderson book using Amazon ‘look inside’. D’oh.

Jolsa

One of our running club members (a sports/massage therapist) put together a stretching pack for the benefit of the club. Have a gander at it here:

Southville Running Club
    (it’s a pdf link on the About Us section)

tomzo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, love how you can read that book on amazon!! The pdf looks good aswell. Cheers.

zaskar
    Free Member

Too much too soon-Rome wasn’t built in day.

Sure you’ll have memory cells and genes -gain fitness quick but your joint, tendons and ligaments take lonher than bone to grow.

So either build your core slowly or wait for you to post I’ve fecked my knee help…I hate reading these threads-poor sods+been there too…

Get your proper running shoes-feet set up and run on grass for a week before jumping on concrete.

Your cardiovascular system will jump easily, then your muscles and bones.
    10% rule increase weekly-you’ll be running at 80 otherwise too much too soon and it’s plastic Alivio knee for you at 60.

Flexibilty will help. 30 mins from nothing in 2 yrs is impressive!

Enjoy!

tomzo
    Free Member

Hmm, I was beginning to think that aswell zaskar. I’ve got the choice of sand, grass or concrete/tarmac so will give the softer ground a go.

So, should i reduce the intensity of the run- so same time, less distance??? Or same effort and less time/distance?

Thanks for the good advice, I certainly don’t want to ruin my legs!

zaskar
    Free Member

I would ease off on your next 2 sessions.

Then on your 3rd session I would repeat your high intensity.

If you feel good, up your 2 easy sessions by 10% and each week up your high intensity run by 10%.

It all depends on your Goal.

Long distance goal? forget time, build your core foundation and miles.

Short runs? keep the distance and time yourself.

The list goes on but just make sure you have days off to recover.

Do some research and sit/talk to a personal trainer-few on here.

Eating healthy? hydrated? read around.

surfer
    Free Member

Get your proper running shoes-feet set up and run on grass for a week before jumping on concrete

Run as much as possible on soft surfaces. Not sure you develop long term problems by running on hard surfaces however it will certainly help with impact related injuries in the short term such as shin splints which are common in new runners.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Running-muscle stretches’ is closed to new replies.