Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Running Minions the 'wrong' way round
  • Brown
    Free Member

Purely out of curiosity, anyone run Minions the ‘wrong’ way round? ie. DHF on the back and a DHR II on the front?

My thinking is that as I generally run a faster rolling rear (I’ve had a Minion SS on all summer), so why not stick with this sort of set up for the winter? I normally go DHF front and rear, but thought I might put a DHR II on the front this winter.

stevied
    Free Member

Not ran a DHF on the back but the R2 is a fantastic front tyre..

lardman
    Free Member

Ive run a DHR on the front and back, as I reckon the turning grip is better.
    Not sure that helps tho’

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve heard of running DHF front and back with the back reversed direction.

Brown
    Free Member

All good to hear, ta. I’ve read that DHRs are good on the front and I’ve had no worries with my usual DHF on the rear. Just feels wrong putting them on the ‘wrong’ ends! (Obviously I should just try it.)

noncycler
    Free Member

DHR II isn’t a rear specific tyre.
    Run one on the front if you want a very predictable cornering/drifting (almost the same characteristics as a DHF) tyre but with much better braking performance.
    I’d say the DHF has the slight edge in dusty conditions where you’re drifting both wheels and braking doesn’t matter so much.
    Don’t ever reverse the direction of either of these tyres. you’ll simply ruin the cornering performance.

The (original) DHR was a pretty poor tread pattern. excelling at nothing much. and fairly mediocre even in dry conditions (and even them performance was more down to maxxis’ sorted rubber compounds than anything else).

Brown
    Free Member

Cheers nc. I’m aware that neither Minion is end-specific and was thinking of sticking a DHR II on the front for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Just wondered if anyone had already run the rear/front combo and had any comments.

Not really worried about dust, given that it’s winter. And don’t worry – I’m not planning on reversing anything either and was never a fan of the original DHR so have no intention of ever trying to track one down.

chiefgrooveguru

Not really worried about dust, given that it’s winter.

You wouldn’t say that if you’d just been on my regular night ride – literally clouds of dust!

I’ve been running a DHR2 3C front for over a year, either with Minion SS or DHR2 dual out back. Great tyre, rolls faster than it looks, turns very well and stops like you’ve dropped anchor. I recently switched to a High Roller 2 2.4 3C front for some more edge bite and better clearing in loose or sticky conditions with the DHR2 dual on the rear.

Shackleton

On the front DHR2 is better for straight line braking, DHF is better for loose or wet/soft cornering. I prefer the DHR2 for hard pack cornering wet or dry.

For winter the maxxis front tyre of choice has to be the shorty paired with a DHR2 or Beaver rear…….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Running Minions the 'wrong' way round’ is closed to new replies.