Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Running injury recovery
  • mikey74
    Free Member

So, I’ve just been recovering from a minor EDL (foot) injury and just did my first run today for a couple of weeks. It was only a slow 5km but I managed to get through without any pain.

My question is: Do you think it would be pushing it to do the same run again tomorrow? Or should I leave it a day or two.

Since I’ve started running, I have had a habit of doing too much too soon, resulting in further injuries and I am keen not to repeat it this time.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s the day after the day after that really hurts. I’m guilty of doing the same thing. One day on, one day off at the very least. Having learned the hard way, I’d be tempted to run Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday.

Then go Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday if you want.

Once I’d cleared that okay, then start applying the 10% rule and not before.

*in no way shape or form, am I medically trained. Just sharing my experience which may or may not work for you. Hell, it may or may not even work for me!

dobo
    Free Member

seriously you need to ask this?
    you can build up mileage and speed on 3 runs a week, so have a rest from the run tomorrow or your just asking for it, if you are feeling fit do some core work or cross train on the bike etc

mikey74
    Free Member

seriously you need to ask this?

No, probably not, but it’s always good to get a second opinion from people with more experience than myself.

Pieface

So you have a history of doing too much too fast and you’re asking if its a good idea to go again tomorrow?

I’d say no, and give yourself at least one full day of rest.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s kinda my point, though: I have, historically, considered “doing too much” in terms of distance, when it comes to running. Even today, fitness-wise, I could have gone round again and made it 10km, meaning that only doing 5km feels like I am taking it easy.

Being a fairly inexperienced runner, I probably need to change my thinking and accept that recovery from running takes longer than cycling, or at least in the beginning.

Pieface

Loads of more experienced runners dont run every day.

You say your priority is to avoid future injuries. Running again tomorrow is going to do little to improve your running and far mire likely to exacerbate your injury

cynic-al
    Free Member

Way too easy to do too much too soon for a cyclist turned runner – been there.

Build up slowly, also I have never run more than 3 days a week.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Running injury recovery’ is closed to new replies.