Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Running head torches?
  • aaron-bangor
    Free Member

Any night runner about? Getting back into running and the dark nights are here with a bang!

Is there a running cheapo Cree style alternative to the Petzl jobbies?

Thinking something rechargeable about £20.

Cheers for any pointers Aaron.

scotroutes

LED Lenser H7 is the STW running torch of choice. Get a cheaper clone off ebay if you don’t want to splash as much cash.

stever
    Free Member

I’ve got a Cree 15 quid 1865 battery thing I’ve been using off-road for a year, phenomenally bright but a bit heavy after an hour or so. Just been out with the Alpkit Gamma actually because I like the different options for seeing/being seen on lit/unlit roads. The red light on the back is useful.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Stever – I have a Gamma and want some thing a bit brighter as its ok off road, but I definitely run slower. How does the cree compare?

stever
    Free Member

I’m the same, the gamma is ok for non technical trails but my eyes are straining a bit now I’m older. It’s only 88 lumens vs (claimed) 900 for the eBay special. Only ever need that on low. Though I see the arms race has taken it up to 2000 now. Bonkers. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000Lm-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Headlamp-Headlight-Head-Torch-2x-18650-Rechargeable-UK-/351101743428?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item51bf4b7144

thecaptain
    Free Member

The 12 quid ebay things are pretty good. I’ve been using one for a year or so (was probably 15 quid back then, I bought another just recently as a spare/for my wife). Seem every bit as good as the range of lights used by runners in my club – which all fail occasionally when someone forgets to charge them 🙂

grahamt1980

I just bought a head band to use with my Gloworm bike light, probably weighs less than most of my head torches and is way way brighter

bryan-g-

I just use a petzl with rechargable batterys, I cant see the need to ahave a heavy head torch that shows 100 yds infront of me

m360
    Free Member

Lenser Neo torch is designed for running. You can put rechargeables in it, and it’s £25.

Quality torch, simple, does the job.

globalti
    Free Member

The LED in my Cree bike lamp just drowns the old LEDs in my Petzl. I believe the problem with LEDs is that they are very directional – am I right? I’d like to find a headtorch for DIY and camping that’s almost as bright as the Cree but has a really broad even spread of light. Possible?

willard

Petzl Myo RXP here. Lots of light and not too heavy for my head. I used to use a Tikka, but it was just a little too dim to see the trials clearly, although I do have to admit it was ok when your eyes got used to it.

The only problem I have with the Myo is that it take three AAs and gets through them quickly at max brightness. Rechargeables solve that though, or you could look into the NAO (I think that’s the one) that just has a LiOn cell at the back.

Digby

I now using a Petzl Tikka RXP for night running: It’s fairly light; USB rechargeable and with a decent variable beam

Last winter I used my Petzl Tikka – which just wasn’t quite enough. I then tried my Hope R4 with the headstrap – which was awesome for visibility but a bit too heavy with the battery on the headstrap / overkill for 30 minute runs afterwork etc.

Guess it depends on whether you are running over uneven/rough/rocky terrain at night (in which case 100+ lumens is useful to avoid ankle sprains etc) or running in an unlit park (in which case 40+ lumens might suffice)

mogrim

I’ve got a Cree 15 quid 1865 battery thing I’ve been using off-road for a year, phenomenally bright but a bit heavy after an hour or so.

How long do the batteries last in that? I’ve got a Black Diamond head lamp that I got a couple of years ago at Decathlon – but during the last race I did the light was starting to flicker a bit, makes me think it’s failing… so I’m vaguely looking for something to replace it.

rugbydick

I tried one of the Alpkit lights but found that it was too bulky and bounced around too much.

I’m currently running with a Silva Trail Runner 2 that I picked up from Blacks for about £40. Great light (brightness and beam pattern) and nicely balanced (with the batteries on the back).

stever
    Free Member

I tried one of the Alpkit lights but found that it was too bulky and bounced around too much.

The newer Alpkit is lighter, a touch brighter and doesn’t have the battery at the back (at the cost of the rear light). I just wish they’d do a proper fell running bright model for 20+ quid.

How long do the batteries last in that?

Like I say, I use the Cree on low (which is very bright) and have never tried it beyond about 1h45, so not terribly helpful I guess 🙂

onlysteel
    Free Member

+1 for Silva Trail Runner 2. Can’t fault it.

Cougar

As an aside,

LED Lenser’s customer service is ace.

I had a Hsomething head torch which died (the front-to-back cable became faulty). Printed a form off their website which basically asked “approximately when and where did you buy it?” I answered “about three years ago, no idea”, stuck it in a Jiffy and sent it off, a week later I received a brand spanking new one, latest model.

Very impressed, I’d recommend them for that reason alone.

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps, the H7 sounds good, like the good service Cougar.

Cheapo option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-Q5-LED-Headlamp-Headlight-Torch-500LM-Zoomable-Ultra-Bright-High-Flash-UK-/181241353334?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item2a32d39476

3 AAA’s must be heavy at the back though. Had a single 18650 one which was OK but the tilt irritatingly did not stay put. Finally packed in though.

Must look into the Silva trail runner.

Cougar

LED Lenser must be sueing for that design.

But, nah, 3x AAAs is nowt IMHO, so long as they’re not slopping about on your head.

CountZero

A wee bit outside the budget but Fenix are excellent lights, this one has a wide range of power options, and has a USB port to power supplementary devices:
    http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hp30-led-headlamp-grey/
    Actually, this one may be better, thinking about the desire for a wider beam pattern, it has two individually controllable lenses:
    http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hp25-led-headlamp-yellow/

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

bought 2 of the £6 ones to try them out, will report back in due course!

This showed up in my sneaky ad feed on FB http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OK5OYN0/ref=dra_a_rv_ff_fx_it_P2000_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda

looks OK too, built in battery which is nice.

m360
    Free Member

Those £6 torches are rubbish. Honestly, My Dad bought one for fishing. He likes it because he doesn’t know better. They aren’t waterproof, they are heavy and bulky, and the quality is what you’d expect for £6. Built in battery will only last a few months before it won’t hold it’s charge also.

Running in it will be horrible.

(You’d have been way better off with the Lenser Neo, it’s small, light, and well balanced).

rugbydick

As a PSA…

Rat Race are having a 15% off sale today if you use the code “FLASHLIGHT”
    That makes the Silva Trail Runner 2 £40.79 + p&p
    Rat Race

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

Thread update, the eBay jobs are fine. Been out for quite a few runs and more than adequate for most trails. Takes a bit of getting used to as it lights straight ahead and feet are in the dark so maybe technical trails could be an issue.

3AA’s are fine for 2-3 hours. Probably not super water proof but I hate running in the rain although they look like they will hold out OK.

The only weird thing is in misty weather they light up the mist right in front of your eyes. Reminded me of the glasses in the film ‘The Jerk’!

In conclusion for the odd run these are spot on. If I really take to it and these die I may upgrade.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Running head torches?’ is closed to new replies.