• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mega.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • running grips off end of bars?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

Is there anything wrong with moving my grips out by a cm or so on each side so that they hang slightly off the ends of the bar. This effectively gives me a longer bar without having to buy a new one! My grips only lock on the inside so no issue there.

Dan

Trimix
    Free Member

Why dont you try it out and then report back on this brilliant idea 🙂

Remember to get a mate to follow you with a GoPro though.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d suggest for the sake of 1cm or so it’ll be alright. You can get extension plugs that will extend your bars a similar amount whilst still supporting the grip.

weeksy

why not just buy longer bars ?

ads678

Can’t see a massive issue really as long as you don’t move it so far out that you could snap the grip, you’re not really gonna be gripping that much on the very outer part of the grip any way.

you can buy bars for about £20 though, which might be abetter option!

daveh
    Free Member

With decent lockons its fine but best viewed as a testing thing, I moved mine out 30mm each side but only for one ride, I then bought a new bar for <£30.

cp

I have some lock ons with a single clamp at the in-board end of the grip. I’ve had them overhang the ends by 10mm+ no problem.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Its a good way to get rid of narrow bars when you selling a bike. 😈

ichabod
    Free Member

Mixed response there! Could buy some longer bars but need to experiment first. Plus if I use this as a long term solution then the £30 could be better spent elsewhere. The grips are lock-on with a faily strong plastic body. I can’t imagine the whole thing snapping or folding. The only issue would be if there was not enough clamping contact area/force and the grip slid off the bar end.

rootes1

well majority of you gripping force is on the outside of you hand and your two outer fingers…. this would be over the bit without a bar under it.

martinhutch

I’m doing it currently, but only by a cm or so. Seeing if I would benefit from a wider bar. Not felt any flexing, cracking, or suffered early death so far.

mega
    Free Member

Been running grips 1.5cm past bar ends for a while – make sure you still use bar plugs
    I crashed recently and the bars whacked the ground with some force and carbon bars and grips remained intact and in place. The butt bar plug was all broken up though

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘running grips off end of bars?’ is closed to new replies.