Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Running Conti Mountain Kings as Tubeless
  • armyrider
    Free Member

I got the tyres fitted and inflated no probs (2.2 Protection version – not UST obviously) but once inflated you can hear/see the air fizzing out through the sidewalls. Should I just pour in more Stan's and wait for the magic to happen or give up and go to the pub?

Anyone have experience of using these tubeless?

Kahurangi

er, both?

IANATG (I Am Not A Tubeless Guru) but surely air fizzing out the sides means it just isn't sealing the old holes in the sidewalls yet? Add (more) solution and swirl it round to get enough over the holes to help it seal.

I guess

*shrug*

How much have you used so far?

Are they old tyres or new tyres with holes in the sidewalls or is it not sealing at the bead/rim?

Lanesra
    Free Member

My Mountain Kings, were wrecked after the spanner monkey at cyclesurgery tried to fit them with stans (got £130 in vouchers to pay for the old tyres and the new ones I had to buy though)

In retrospect I should imagine that due to the MK's needing to be run at a high pressure (due to the way the sidewall "crinkles" on even the slightest turn) they'd be crap with the stans conversion and burp out air all the time

I ended up getting a pair of Panaracer Fire XC pro UST and they've been fit and forget (higher rolling resistance but have piece of mind)

For your particular problem keep shaking the wheel and the sealant should seal the holes check the notubes website for videos

armyrider
    Free Member

Thanks – I'll hang in there for now. These are brand new tyres, I'm hoping to use them for the Transwales, hence the sidewall protection version.

Fingers crossed, loads of stan's sloshing around now!

Lanesra
    Free Member

My protections took loads of hits (thorns etc) through the sidewall and was forever getting punctures – which is why I went for the stans option.

TBH It's only a "protected" tyre when you compare it to the supersonic versions, other "normal" tyres have a much stronger sidewall,imo.

dannyboy
    Free Member

armyrider,

Have tired this with the Conti speed king supersonics – side walls made of paper! Ended up with more stans latex on my hardwood floors than in the tyre. The protection version may help but not sure…I now only buy UST tires, sorry not very helpful.

Email Jon at justridingalong.co.uk they seem to have tired most non-UST tyre combinations…

DB

Schweiz
    Free Member

Sidewalls on mountain kings are too flimsy for tubeless. Even if you get them sealed, you'll have to run such high pressure to get any stability that you'll negate any benefit.

nickc

I should imagine that due to the MK's needing to be run at a high pressure

And yet I run my MK 2.4 protection at 35 rear and 30 front on a Chameleon with inner tubes, with no real puncture issues at all. Go figure…

martyntr
    Free Member

Very happy with my UST 2.4 MK's…. Infact I'm changing the 2.4 Mid Wales friendly's for 2.2's for SITS next weekend.

Fantastic tyre in these parts, hooks up well on the slate trails around Aberystwyth

One of my friends (AL) had a similar problem to the one you described "armyrider"…. the bubbling stops after a while as the latex seals the tyre. He has ghetto'd his though….

dreednya

I run MK 2.4 Protections ghetto tubeless for a good year and a half with no problems. Riding trail centres in Wales plus Black Mountains and Dyfi forest on a Heckler with Hope Pro 3s. Heckler has a cracked downtube and my rear rim is non-trueable, but the MKs are fine. I run them usually at 2 bar (roughly 28 psi) but have had them down to 20 psi with no problems. Fast rolling and grippy – what is there not to like…..

Martyntr above will confirm/tell you that I don't exactly mince down the descents 😀.

In fact I've just ghetto'd MKs on my Trek hardtail while I'm waiting for a neew FS frame to arrive, and have no qualms at hammering into rock gardens with them.

MS
    Free Member

You need to ride with them on a lonish run (offroad) before they seal properly.

They wont seal properly to start with. Just pump them up before your next run and it should hold air for a few days. But it may take a few runs before its sealed completely.

Speed King Supersonics do seal eventually. Fine once done.

martyntr
    Free Member

Martyntr above will confirm/tell you that I don't exactly mince down the descents 😀

Dave tends to break things quite often….. and that's a fact

toons
    Free Member

I couldn't get the 2.4's to seal, also my mate had the same issue

coopersport1
    Free Member

Bren Gun,
    Re: Conti Race king Protection
    I had to pump them up for each lap at Mayhem as you know, but since then have put a extra scoop of stans in and left them on one side then the other for a few hours each. No probs at all on Stans rims since, well other than a puncture in the first 3k of the 100k English marathon champs! It did however seal quickly and wasn't a sidewall problem. Also I've had no probs running them at lower pressure than conti reccomend think I run 30-35psi.

armyrider
    Free Member

Cheers all (and Si), they seem to be getting better, I'll give them a good thrashing at SITS before TransWales to make sure all is running sweetly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Running Conti Mountain Kings as Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.