• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Running – blister prevention
  • DT78
    Free Member

I have had to start running due to arrival of #2 son.

I haven’t run in many years, the occasional time I used to I would get blisters on the inside of the arches of my feet.

I overpronate so bought some stability shoes (Asics GT-1000 5) hoping that this time round I wouldn’t suffer the same.

Just did my first run, 3.5 miles, and can feel the tell tell tingling of early blisters on the inside of the arches.

What can I do to stop this, as it will mean I won’t run. Ideally I don’t want to spend more money on trainers, apart from the rub towards the end of the run they were comfy and felt good.

Cougar

Two thin pairs of socks, perhaps? (It works for walking, I’d have thought maybe the same principle might apply?)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Twin skin socks, vasaline, zinc oxide tape might all help but it sounds like your shoes have more arch support than you have arch. That could be helped with core exercises though.

Stand feet shoulder width apart and roll your pelvis backwards and forwards. Notice how it changes the height of the arch and alignment of the knees.

DT78
    Free Member

Definitely have issues with posture / leaning forward which I’m hoping the running will help with. I’m working on releasing tension in the front of the hips to enable to pelvis to be less rotated forward. Been like this for many years so it will take time to sort.

dovebiker

IME frequently get blisters with new shoes, so once you’ve worn them a few times, your skin will ‘toughen’ and it’ll no longer be a problem. Might also be worth trying:
    Talc’ing your feet
    Adjusting the laces / pattern to grip your midfoot more securely
    2 thin socks – 1000 mile do a double-layer sock too

If the problem persists, then it might be the shoe is too stiff/unyielding?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I get blisters with new shoes, but on the arch sounds a bit odd.

Are the shoes like a slipper when you put them on? If not bin them and go buy a pair that are comfy forgetting all this marketing rubbish stuff

craigxxl
    Free Member

Shoes that fit properly and allow for your foot to swell as you run. Good running socks, I like the More Miles ones. If you still get any hot spots on your feet then apply some Glide before putting your socks on.
    I tried the two pairs of thin socks but used to irritate me if one would roll down inside the other.

MrPottatoHead

From my experiences…

Saucony – blisters on arch
    Nike – blisters on sole
    Innov8 – blisters on heel
    Hoka – blisters on toes

I don’t have a sure fire fix but good running socks certainly helps, and your feet will definitely toughen up over time.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Good running socks = balega in our house. Not cheap, but last an eternity, and don’t lose their stretch or softness. Never had significant blster problems, though 40 years of running has toughened my feet up! I’d suggest a smudge of Vaseline on the susceptible area.

nixie

Good socks and don’t do them up too tight.

tiim
    Free Member

I am very prone to blisters, including on my arches, and tried all kinds of sock and shoe combos. Generally if I wear Hilly Twin Skins I either don’t get them or at least they’re kept to a minimum, also as stated above, when I start back after a break or with new shoes can lead to a few runs leading to hot spots which might blister but the feet seem to settle down.

I also replace the socks as soon as they go stiff or start wearing through on the heel – I have pointy heels so this usually happens after about 300ish km I prefer the taller ones (classic, not anklet or socklet) and this also seems to keep my Achilles happier.

e.g.
    Linky

hammerite
    Free Member

I used to get blisters on the arch of my feet.

Different things to try…

Do nothing – it might just be that you’re not used to running. As you go more regularly your feet get used to it.
    New shoes – if you bought off the shelf the shoes might not be suitable. Go to a shop that offers gait analysis (usually free when you buy the shoes).
    Cover feet in vaseline/Bodyglide or similar
    Different socks – I tried all sorts including Twin skins. My favourite blister free socks were Crane running socks from Lidl (or is it Aldi). Or Running Bear socks, they look awful but are really comfortable http://www.runningbear.co.uk/running-bear-socks-size-71-2-9.html
    Orthotics/Orthoses This is quite extreme and pretty expensive. I had other issues to get sorted. While I was running I had three different sorts of orthotics. The first pair were unbearable, my feet were covered in friction burns after only a 4 mile run. The other two sorts were excellent.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

A mate has very flat feet/no arches, his feet look like chimps feet! He too gets blisters on his arches, which I’d never heard of, but his lack of arch explains it.

Two pairs of socks or Vaseline the affected area. They will toughen up over time.

redmist
    Free Member

For long runs I’ve had good results with good Thorlo socks and feet and socks treated with Bodyglide beforehand, even without lots if running to toughen up the feet

wrecker
    Free Member

I always used zinc oxide tape. Just make sure you get the white stuff, the pink stuff is shite.

BenjiM

I’ve used these in the past
    Engo Blister Patches

They’ve been great. Just stick em to wear the rub is and miraculously it stops rubbing (no friction basically)

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks all will order some decent socks and prob try bodyglide first of all.

Whilst I have some runners here what are the phone pouches you strap to your arm called. Seem to not be able to find them on wiggle

MrPottatoHead

Try ‘running armband’. I can’t see any on Wiggle but plenty of others selling them. I don’t use one so can’t make a recommendation for a good one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t use armbands, a quick google lead me here..
    Independent review of runners armbands

As for blisters, tricky but during typical winter downpours and boggy trail runs, I use a pair of silk liner socks on my feet then a pair of merino runner socks over the top of those.
    Shoes, fit is the first thing.. I use Sals SpeedX3’s but these are not for everyone because of the heel cup and large foam heel pad..but they suit me, I also use ON Cloudburst for hardpack trails, these are very light and also quite soft and a completely different fit to the X3’s..
    I’ve always been fine with blisters, some of my trail running mates have issues and yet just run through them.. but also use a mix of the Vaseline/silk sock inners/and tape.. then salt scrub washes post running.

malumb
    Free Member

Lots of good suggestions above, but I think this is the cause:

“I haven’t run in many years”

It’ll take time for you body to adapt to running. Your cardiovascular system will adapt loads quicker than your feet/legs/etc. Try to do little and often to start with, gradually increase but don’t push it too soon. I always get blisters after a long time off running, but feet get used to it after a while.

I’ve found vaseline very helpful at times. Even had similar blisters on the arch of my foot crib long runs, and vaseline on that area just helps prevent it.

mogrim

Whilst I have some runners here what are the phone pouches you strap to your arm called. Seem to not be able to find them on wiggle

Depending on the size of your phone also have a look at belts, I find them a lot mroe comfortable and you can also usually fit your keys etc.

For the blisters also avoid wearing socks that are too thick in summer – you sweat too much, and excess moisture is often a cause of blisters.

lunge

For arm bands, I’ve used this one in the past and it’s fine, you can pick them up at Sports Direct or similar for not much money as well.

I now much prefer to run without my phone but the above did the job.

Re. blisters, I had them when I first started running and vaseline on the affected area combined with getting my feet hardened up stopped them after a while. These socks are good, no idea whether they’ll work for you though.

mikey74
    Free Member

I started off using those phone armbands but quickly concluded they are horrible things (forever slipping, difficult to control if using it for run timing/ tracking).

I ended up buying a running watch and a pair of shorts with a key pocket (Gore Ultra something’s).

I also never got on with the 1000 mile double-liner socks (inner layer always seemed to bunch up, resulting in warm spots and blisters) and I now use thinnish wool socks.

stumpy01

I used to do lots of running in my youth & the only shoes that used to give me blisters were Asics (& a misjudged pair of Reebok).

Massively generalising across the range on offer, I found the arches in Asics were too high & there shoes were too narrow for my feet so prolonged running in them gave me blisters on my arches & toes.

Try the suggestions above, but when it comes to new shoe time consider a different brand of trainer too.
    Brooks & Nike seem to work for me, but running shoes are a lot like saddles; what works for one, won’t work for someone else.
    Brooks do some very good shoes for pronation.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Decathlon shorts have a phone pocket the sits against the small of your back a far superior solution to an armband.

But leaving your phone is better still just enjoy the running.

Blisters wise you just have to try everything until it wirks

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips. I have a fenix for recording the main reason for the phone is music as I find running really dull but needs must

take time for you body to adapt to running

Yes definitely was expecting it to be the case. Started out with a 3.5mile run. Ran 2 mile, 0.5 walk, 1 mile run. Averaged a slow 9min pace but my hr was 170av and hit my198 max so working really hard. I have no concept of perceived exertion whilst running yet. My buddy who is similar bike fitness (in terms of w/kg) but also runs did twice the distance at 6.5 pace.

My calfs were burning and this morning have pain in the quads around the knee. Going to take a while to strengthen up

craigxxl
    Free Member

You could always try taking it easier and building up distance and strength rather than running at such a high exertion otherwise you could end up injured and lose interest.

Northwind

If you’re breaking in new shoes, you can smack a blister plaster on before you run- not a normal plaster but those thick second-skin blister types. Compeed are great but expensive, they can last a couple of days though, cheaper ones are available.

They won’t cure any other problems or toughen your feet but needless to say, they’re also good once you have blisters

lunge

Started out with a 3.5mile run. Ran 2 mile, 0.5 walk, 1 mile run. Averaged a slow 9min pace but my hr was 170av and hit m y198 max so working really hard. I have no concept of perceived exertion whilst running yet. My buddy who is similar bike fitness (in terms of w/kg) but also runs did twice the distance at 6.5 pace.

That’s not slow, and it’s certainly not slow for a first run, no wonder your legs are shot and your HR was at 198bpm. 10 minute miles is a 32 minute 5k which is not too shabby for a novice runner who has done a bit of trainig, you’ve done none… Your mate at 6.5 m/mile pace would be a 42 minute 10k which is very sharp indeed and not a pace a novice runner could expect to get close to.

Aim to run on pace if you can, 11 or 12 minute miles to begin with then increase it slowly as you get more comfortable. The couch to 5/10k programmes are really good to ease you in. Also remember to stretch a lot after you run but not before.

And don’t expect bike fitness to translate to running, running is a different, in my opinion much harder, game all together.

DT78
    Free Member

That’s interesting I was expecting to be slower but not by so much of a margin given we are very similar on the bike. 5k was 28:47 so seems not bad for my first one in a decade

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Running – blister prevention’ is closed to new replies.