Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Running – benefits
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Alrighty then,

At the moment we’re actually quite busy at work so I’m only getting home every other weekend, thus limiting the amount of proper riding I can do and we work 12 hour shifts at the weekend to boot, also as I’m in that London and it’s winter time, I’ve decided I might as well go for a run after I get in from work a few nights a week.

I already commute too and from work each day during the week (a round trip of 14 miles), so will running help maintain/improve the fitness i built up over summer?

Had my first run (in pretty much 2 years) tonight, only 4.5km round the block. A distance I aim to repeat and then build up to 10k’ish and have a dabble at the Manchester run in May.

Good idea?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes why not definately helps lungs and heart but I often find my legs struggle as uses different muscles, but can get out and do a quicker effort than on the bike.

crikey
    Free Member

Running makes you really good, at running.

It is a good Cardio workout, but cycle training does need specificity IMHO.

I went from being a fell runner to being a cyclist, and the demands are different. Running is better than nothing, but cycling is better than running for cycle specific fitness.

All in my opinion, before iDave comes along and eats my liver.

3bikeman
    Free Member

Found it helped me as I only cycle weekends in the winter – definitely made me stronger and helped stamina and cardo vascular – I do about 3 miles 4 times a week before work- hoping to build up as I have entred the Grizzley run in March!but the short route only 9 miles along the south coast

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I think running and cycling compliment each other very well.

Chuck in a couple of weight sessions a week and you’ll have great allround fitness/strength

steve_b77
    Free Member

@ Surf Matt CBA’d with the gym, can’t stand them if I’m honest. I spend 9 hours a day in an office with stinky people so why spend another hour or so inside a windowed box full of even sweatier people and pay for the privilege, no offence if it floats your boat though 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Did I say anything about doing weights in a gym?

While a gym is essential (unless you are obscenely minted) for bulking up – I spent many years gym monkeying – a simple home set up is perfectly sufficient for maintaining hard gained muscle which, in my firm opinion, gives anyone the “edge” in most sports from surfing to cycling.

Also gets you used to “momentary muscular failure” and pushing things to the absolute limit – which has big benefits in all sports.

Plus the laydeez love a buff bloke…

steve_b77
    Free Member

hmm laydeez eh 😆

hels
    Free Member

I love running, esp in winter when you can go fast without getting too hot. Just back from a lovely run through the icy blizzard.

I have sure you have already had the advice – build it up slowly to let all your tendons and muscles etc develop and invest in proper shoes.

Good for weight maintenance too I reckon. No science to back any of that sorry just observation.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hels – icy blizzard? Where do you live?!

Steve – yep, I can thanks a few decent “scores” mostly to being “in shape.” Shallow as hell but still fun.

jimcollins67
    Free Member

I have not been running in years, but at the weekend decided to run around the local wood with the dog, its only 5k. I can’t believe how sore my calfs are…. bloody awful pain.. Quite surprised how sore i am really..

hels
    Free Member

Scottish Borders. It’s freezing here tonite. I’m exaggerating about the blizzard, but there was definite crunching under my feet across the park.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If it hurts it works.

Lived by that mantra for many years. Clearly doesn’t apply to actually injuring yourself though…

jimcollins67
    Free Member

well its certainly working!!!!! Really enjoyed it, just invested in a half decent pair of running shoes.. The only painful bit is my calfs, the rest of my legs are okay. Hamstrings,quads fine, just done an hour on the turbo tonight and feel ok, apart from the calfs….

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jim – the calves will be fine. Just a muscle group not as used in cycling. A few runs later and they’ll cope no problem as long as you don’t completely overdo it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Nike Bowerman Structure Triax 11’s and they are most comfortable.

Might get one of them natty Nike+ sensors if they work with iPhone 4 that is

emsz
    Free Member

Runner here as well. Great way to take your mind of the day as well ( or work stuff out in your head). Start slow and short though. Cold out tonight. Lovely

loddrik
    Free Member

Just started running having never ran before. F*ck me it tougher than I’d have thought. I am doing the slow and steady method as I don’t want injuries and my body just isn’t used to using the muscles required. Trying the Couch to 5k app which seems ok. Half an hour 3 or 4 times a week is far more accessible than the couple of hours I’d need for a decent ride.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Lodders – that’s a big benefit of running – half an hour at a decent speed is a good workout. The equivalent ride needs to be at least twice as long. And you hardly need any kit so can do it anywhere.

I love running on holiday – really opens the area up to extra exploration.

steve_b77
    Free Member

All good then, if I keep it up I may run to work at some point in the new year, it’s bang on 10k with a variety of urban terrain :mrgreen:

Haze

Keeps me ticking over nicely…

stever
    Free Member

40 min hill reps just now. I just like doing different stuff. Watch you don’t overdo it – lots of people get carried away, do too much, get injured.

sofatester
    Free Member

– Always finish thinking you could do another mile.

– Stretch like it’s going out of fashion.

– Don’t try and beat PB’s every run.

Sure others can add words of wisdom to this list 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

slow and steady

ive just gone to 10k after 5 weeks of 5k 3 x a week

it didnt hurt as much as it did the last time i ran 10k couldnt walk very well for the following week !

uplink
    Free Member

I do early [<6am] runs Mon-Thurs through the Winter of around an hour

I tend to only cycle once a week until Spring & I find it helps greatly when I get back to doing more cycling than running
    So I say go for it, mix it up with some intervals Fartlek etc. & you’ll definitely come out of the Winter a fitter cyclist than if you didn’t run

Keeps the weight in check too

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Running – benefits’ is closed to new replies.