Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Running and sore quads
  • ahsat

I am not a runner – lets get this clear from the start!

I am however currently doing the Couch-to-10k as I have signed up for a charity offroad 10k in November. I am on week 6 of 14 (it is about 9 weeks since I started, but a couple of crashes on the bike put me back a bit) – so I am at the point of ‘running’ 1-2 miles without stopping. I am starting to find I am getting quite sore quads. I am stretching before I go out (unlike before I go on the bike). Any suggestions of things I need to do (before/after the run?), to try and help reduce this?

Many thanks

scaredypants

IANAR either

my guess is you’re bouncing too much and the impacts are stressing yr quads

maybe go faster or force your stride to be shorter

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Stop stretching before you go out, it’s pointless and dangerous. Just warm up gently.

Do stretch after while your muscles are still warm.

Sore quads to some extent is just about your legs adapting to different exercise.

ahsat

maybe go faster

Ha – I took my parents dog with me today, which ended up in a 1-mile pb! Faster isn’t an option!

Stop stretching before you go out, it’s pointless and dangerous. Just warm up gently.

Do stretch after while your muscles are still warm.

Sore quads to some extent is just about your legs adapting to different exercise.I walk before I run so I’ll just do my back stretches (not an option, bad back!) and then try doing stretches when I get back. TBH – I normally just collapse in a heap on the return and that is it! Thanks. I’ll give it a go.

Your right, I dont do this type of exercise, so of course my legs will hurt!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

You’re not doing anything wrong, it’s just that running hurts.

I run 3 times a week, and it still hurts some days. Start slow, warm up properly, do LOTS of stretching when you get home, and invest in a foam roller.

thecaptain
    Free Member

^ correction to the above, running hurts when you aren’t used to it. I used to struggle with occasional jogs but nowadays (after a few marathon campaigns) it doesn’t hurt me at all. I’m not even running very much right now (1-2 per week) but can easily go out for an hour or so with no ill effects.

ahwiles
    Free Member

As an over-analytical occasional runner:

I get sore quads from running down hills…

molgrips
    Free Member

My legs get tired when I run a long way. I wonder what it could be?

😉

ahsat

Haha – ok points taken! Just didnt know (as know nothing about running, clearly…!!) whether I was doing something wrong!

So basically get used to it and stretch when I get home!

Thanks all

craigxxl
    Free Member

It does hurt when you’re starting to run. When you’ve finished running have a 10 min walk to cool off and then have a protein fix when you get back. Stick with it and it will get easier.

molgrips
    Free Member

You might be doing something wrong (seriously) but it’s pretty hard to tell from the internet.

If you can get a video of you running it might help. Is it quads or hip flexors? Look at an anatomy pic of a leg and try and find out which muscle it is.

ahsat

Defiantly quads.

I think you are all just right – I am just not used to it.

Also, know I have been using my Inov8 trail shoes to run on road more than I should (my ‘normal’ trainers seem to give me shin splints) so that probably doesn’t help!

surfer
    Free Member

As above you are probably just suffering soreness as you are new to running. It will probably pass.
    Dont bother stretching before or after. No evidence it helps in any way.
    Warm up though by walking and generally moving slowly to start with going through the range of motion then getting quicker as you warm up.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes sorry if I wasn’t clear above, DOMS is entirely normal and hard to avoid when you are starting out running, especially if you’re reasonably fit from cycling. I think the technical explanation is that running loads the quads under extension (when you land and absorb the shock, especially running down hill) whereas cycling doesn’t do this at all, so the muscles are not used to it and suffer small amounts of local damage. Eventually (if you run regularly enough) the muscles get accustomed to it.

Oh there you go wikipedia says the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Flaperon

Increase your cadence, might help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Running and sore quads’ is closed to new replies.