Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • running and racing bikes
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

does anyone run a lot and race bikes at the same time?

Am contemplating getting into running and wondered if the fitness would transfer across to biking- if I’m fit it would be a shame not to race bikes too.

I wouldn’t have time to train for both. I guess I’d hope to maybe do a marathon and also podium in sxc vets.

djglover
    Free Member

It shouldn’t make you any worse at cycling provided you get out cycling 1-2 times a week, but won’t make you any better.

RealMan
    Free Member

The guy who holds the record for LEJOG and I think the record for 1000m, he gave up cycling sort of and started running, entered a marathon in a few months, and won it. So I reckon it transfers the other way, so I’d imagine it would transfer the other too.

crazy-legs

Look at the CX racers, a lot of them do running. Rob Jebb for example – multiple winner of the Three Peaks CX and a pretty good “regular” CX racer too but his main strength is fell running.

Nick Craig does a fair bit of fell running too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I guess I’d hope to maybe do a marathon and also podium in sxc vets.

SXC vets are super competitive.

deep_river
    Free Member

I have tried mixing the two, and for me it didnt work.

When I was younger (late teens – early twenties) I was purely a cyclist and got the odd top 10 sports cat placing. I was quite happy with this at the time, however then I joined the RAF and got into running, I had more of a natural talent for this (despite being 5ft7), and got to a half decent level, top 5 county level at x-country. When I started getting running injuries all the time, I thought that to take the load of running, I’d get back into cycling and try my hand at duathlon, I found it hard to fit in the time to train to a decent level at both events,

If you have the time, and the dedication, spiting the training is great for all round fitness, and injury prevention. Plus training for the 2 events can help relive the boredom that can set in. Go for it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

cheers all, I guess I’d hate to train a lot to be a mediocre runner and also a mediocre rider.

Pete I know all about it, I’ve raced masters.

Another option is just to not race bikes. which, as I sip this wheatbeer dunkel, is quite appealing.

IainGillam
    Free Member

I run a bit and race bikes, one doesn’t seam to affect the other adversly for me. I don’t train that much for running though, mostly just race. Too much milage in a week seams to cause more knee problems for me than it helps. Although this is probably more due to wrecking them racing motocross. I’d probably have problems getting the distance in for a marathon as I imagine you can’t just wing it like you can a half.

Iain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘running and racing bikes’ is closed to new replies.