Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • running 'and' cycling jacket?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

narrowly avoiding running in the torrential rain yesterday, i’m thinking its time to pick up a showerproof breathable shell and also maybe a jersey.

thing is all my cycling kit needs renewing too, so would anyone have any recomendations for someting suitable for running and the bike?

up to about 50 on the jacket.

footflaps

I run with a Pertex shell rather than a water proof shell. Don’t mind getting wet, but it keeps the wind off. Never found a waterproof which could breath enough to cope with running.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of my cycling kit is from the fast nd light ranges of outdoor gear manufacturers, cos it’s what gets discounted. It’s good kit usually.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

If it isn’t raining when I go out, I take a Pertex Montane Featherlight Marathon jacket in my pack, or back pocket. Also works for running (which is what it’s designed for).

For proper deluges it’s a Gore Fusion GoreTex jacket on the bike. Way too hot for running though.

surfer
    Free Member

What footflaps says really. If its not cold I would just wear maybe a helly which doesnt go baggy when its soaking wet.

If its raining you will get wet right through. staying warm is the trick.

molgrips
    Free Member

TNF call it the Summit series, btw. They make some great tops out of Apex fabric, or at least they did.

mogrim

Just bought a running jacket this weekend, and there’s no way I’d use it on the bike – it’s much too flimsy.

thehustler
    Free Member

I like the dare2b range of stuff, its reasonable priced and just works…..

thehustler
    Free Member

I like the dare2b range of stuff, its reasonable priced and just works…..

BadlyWiredDog

TNF call it the Summit series, btw.

No they don’t, that’s their top-end mountaineering kit. The lightweight TNF stuff is called Flight.

Edit: please don’t take this as an invitation to one of your endless discussions. It’s just intended as a friendly factual correction for those who might find it useful. Honest.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Would recommend the lightweight Vulpine cotton harrington. (Edit, just re-read your post and realise it’s above the price range)

molgrips
    Free Member

No they don’t, that’s their top-end mountaineering kit. The lightweight TNF stuff is called Flight.

Ah yes you are right, sorry.

Edit: please don’t take this as an invitation to one of your endless discussions.

Oh come off it, that’s hardly debatable!

BadlyWiredDog

If it were anyone but you… 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

*glares*

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

What about a Howies Dyfi?

Am considering just such a thing for similar use although I’m guessing you may be thinking of something more waterproof.

Good price at Wiggle at the moment:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/howies-dyfi-light-weight-shell-jacket/

piemonster

Also 😀

dragon
    Free Member

Get Montane Velo or similar (pertex material). There are plenty of places doing them cheap. Note: while they are windproof expect to get wet, as the rain goes straight through, but I’ve still remained warm as they keep the wind out in all but the strongest gales.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Pertex type stuff as above.

I picked up a Montaine Featherlight on sale somewhere for £30 and use that mainly on the bike, but occasionally for running.

I also picked up a Ronhill running jacket in a sale, similar Pertex windproof type thing. Great for running, but I also use it on Duathlons for the run/bike/run if it’s cold or wet.

They will both keep a bit of drizzle/light rain off, but do keep you warm when the water gets through.

ajc
    Free Member

I find a gilet is all you need for running in the rain, maybe over a polyprop long sleeve if its cold. I have a montane jacket and that is too hot if its above freezing. The gilet just keeps the wind off your chest but allows plenty of air movement. This may not be the case if you like to run slowly, so never really warming up. Roadies arm warmers also work quite well as they are easy to take off so you don’t overheat and they still work when wet.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

went with a montane singletrack jacet and montane oryx layer, both hugely reduced on sportsshoes.com with another 15% off voucher and 10% cashbak (yeah right, like they ever pay on that) on topcashback.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘running 'and' cycling jacket?’ is closed to new replies.